• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 3)

Norm Matthews

On 4/1/2017 at 7:22 AM, Shelby said:

...was really hungry for venison meatloaf so that's what we had.  For the first time I put bacon on it.  Why I've never done it that way, I don't know because it was soooooo gooooood.   I couldn't find my Benton's bacon---it's here somewhere but I just didn't have the oomph to dig for it--so I had to settle for thin bacon but I understand now why @rotuts and @kayb and many others make their meatloaf this way.

Growing up, I loved my mom's meatloaf. She always topped the meatloaf with exactly three slices of bacon, laying them down lengthwise on the meatloaf...one strip down the exact middle with another strip laying lengthwise on either side of it. She then used Heinz ketchup for the "glaze" on top of the bacon.

As an adult, I'm like you, Shelby. "More" is always a good thing when it comes to bacon. I cover the meatloaf with the bacon strips (putting them lengthwise on the loaf). If I can see meatloaf peeking through the bacon, I haven't done my job right. xD

• Like 5

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

7 hours ago, Anna N said:

@JoNorvelleWalker

I came to broccoli rabe late in life  but it is truly one of my favourite vegetables now. 

Previous times I've tried broccoli rabe I'd been too lazy to blanch it, shock in ice, drain and dry, and then saute it.  I find it repays the effort.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

My first attempt at chapattis, they weren't perfectly round, but they were tasty and did the job.

Served with eggplant curry, repurposed sambar, steamed basmati rice, lime pickle and mango chutney.

IMG_3429.thumb.JPG.ba73afb8e799a9e6922dde4f92e2bee8.JPG

• Like 7

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Previous times I've tried broccoli rabe I'd been too lazy to blanch it, shock in ice, drain and dry, and then saute it.  I find it repays the effort.

Absolutely.  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Sunday dinner was a braised lamb shank with leeks on a bed of rice and a green salad.  Easter drawing near means something lambish besides lamb chops and racks of lamb are available at Mel's.  I got three shanks and two lbs of lamb cubes for kabobs.  The original recipe was from a W of S catalogue years ago and called for leeks, garlic, white wine and rosemary.  I had the lamb, the leeks and the garlic and that was about it so I used Penzey's Greek seasoning,water and a lot of leek because lots of leeks is a good thing. I roasted the shank in the oven to get it browned, a tip from C.I. in reference to short ribs, and was able to cook the shank early enough to refrigerate it and get the major clean up done a couple of hours before dinner.  The only thing missing was a dog to give the bone to

• Like 6

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

41 minutes ago, Arey said:

Sunday dinner was a braised lamb shank with leeks on a bed of rice and a green salad.  Easter drawing near means something lambish besides lamb chops and racks of lamb are available at Mel's.  I got three shanks and two lbs of lamb cubes for kabobs.  The original recipe was from a W of S catalogue years ago and called for leeks, garlic, white wine and rosemary.  I had the lamb, the leeks and the garlic and that was about it so I used Penzey's Greek seasoning,water and a lot of leek because lots of leeks is a good thing. I roasted the shank in the oven to get it browned, a tip from C.I. in reference to short ribs, and was able to cook the shank early enough to refrigerate it and get the major clean up done a couple of hours before dinner.  The only thing missing was a dog to give the bone to

Sounds delicious @Arey, but don't feel bad about no dog, they shouldn't have cooked bones. The bones can easily splinter and get stuck in the gut, which leads to expensive vet bills. This I know.

• Like 1

This doesn't have a name...  It starts with a Mexican style rice then grilled kranksy and grilled veg.

Real easy and real nice.  Maybe someone can give it a name.

IMG_20170403_185558.thumb.jpg.da8538fb30151eec7c22f93b13a7fda4.jpg

IMG_20170403_185552.thumb.jpg.b9bcb6b9265f07f84e5ead2d27062eb8.jpg

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Captain said:

This doesn't have a name...  It starts with a Mexican style rice then grilled kranksy and grilled veg.

Mexi-Kran?  :$

• Like 6

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

I gnawed on the last fried chicken wing for dinner. Then I enjoyed a big grazing plate of all my favorite salad components: spring mix, spinach, alfalfa sprouts, boiled egg, thin-sliced white onion, red bell pepper, sliced raw button mushrooms, and cottage cheese topped with out of local season but very tasty Chilean blueberries. I had made up lemon tahini dressing for dipping, but found that it wasn't needed. I was in the mood to just enjoy the unadulterated flavors of everything. Well, I did use some kosher salt, and black pepper on the eggs.

Last time I was at the fancy grocery store, they had clover sprouts and they were really good. This time, they were sold out, but the alfalfa sprouts were delicious too. I've been eating a lot of sprouts lately. I will get sick of them eventually, but I've been deprived of sprouts for quite a while. I used to be able to get food grade alfalfa seeds and sprouted my own. Now all I can get are mung bean seeds, and I have to go to the Mediterranean store, of all places, for those. Oh, and both the alfalfa and clover sprouts are tested for e-coli, salmonella and listeria, so that makes me feel even better about relishing them. The sprouts come from Sunny Creek Farm in Tryon, NC. 

• Like 6

> ^ . . ^ <

While we were having the beef teriyaki stir fry the other day, my son was remembering how good the teriyaki sauce served over grilled chicken was in the fast food teriyaki restaurants in Seattle. He looked up a recipe for the sauce.  It had a 5 star rating and over 200 reviews. I told him to e-mail it to me and I'd make it.  He said it was exactly like he remembered.  I also steamed some broccoli rabe left over from the stir fry and made a Bernaise sauce for it.

20170403_191417.jpg

• Like 12

10 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I gnawed on the last fried chicken wing for dinner. Then I enjoyed a big grazing plate of all my favorite salad components: spring mix, spinach, alfalfa sprouts, boiled egg, thin-sliced white onion, red bell pepper, sliced raw button mushrooms, and cottage cheese topped with out of local season but very tasty Chilean blueberries.

Oh, and both the alfalfa and clover sprouts are tested for e-coli, salmonella and listeria, so that makes me feel even better about relishing them. The sprouts come from Sunny Creek Farm in Tryon, NC. 

Good call. I haven't seen pre-tested sprouts anywhere here in Canada, but admittedly I haven't been looking. They don't seem to be much in demand anymore, at least here in New Brunswick. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

image.jpeg.f8840a2d4dd910c2e4b8b0ead0ddccbe.jpegimage.jpeg.f0b612f21833ae1fa266529ac0a377c3.jpeg

Hard to cut a perfect slice. Next time I might try a 7 inch, lined springform pan.  That would likely take care of two problems: getting it out of the pan and, being a little shallower, might cook it a little more as it needed just a bit more time.

• Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

18 hours ago, Captain said:

It almost sounds like a riff off of jambalaya. You'd just need some chicken...

Mexi-Kransky-balaya?

12 hours ago, Ann_T said:

58e31294a9541_BakedMarch31sttoastedApril3rd.thumb.jpg.cf78c015d082e169802bd295dc5b719a.jpg

"Smalls...you're killin' me!"*

(*A quote from the movie "The Sandlot")

I can almost taste the melted butter. [Drool/Homer Simpson].

• Like 6

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Spicy butternut pumpkin soup with a big spoon of homemade harissa, a little too big as it turned out. We cried and sniffled our way through it though. A dollop of Greek yoghurt helped, mint to garnish also. Served with broadbean dip and cheddar toasties. Followed by a calming watercress salad with honey mustard dressing.

IMG_3433.thumb.JPG.9977b245b1cb709bcd32e3295505c6e4.JPGIMG_3432.thumb.JPG.aebdc26232edd7dea2f2c49e0e28c0d9.JPG

• Like 9

Favorite less-than-30-minutes dinner: pasta kinda-carbonara, with Canadian bacon subbed for guanciale, and with the addition of some asparagus and some sugar snaps.

20170404_192301.thumb.jpg.b466882cfa0c925bd172f01123ce8b41.jpg

• Like 12

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Last night:

LasagneAlForno404042017.png

Lasagne al forno from Giuliano Bugialli's The Fine Art of Italian Cooking.  Finest lasagne I have made.  Hard to think of a better meal.

• Like 13

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou