• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 3)

Norm Matthews

Quite often, I will ask Deb what she intends to make for dinner tonight, which I did yesterday morning. "Hot dogs" was her reply. Deb will make a big pot of great spaghetti sauce on occasion, but that is the extent of her interests in the kitchen. So what she was really saying is "How about we have hot dogs?" I accepted the challenge. She asked  for onions and cheese on both of hers.

IMG_1714.thumb.JPG.1f1f7671fd66a031c6be9f97a48aa6c4.JPG

I opted for one with chili, cheese and onions and one with sauerkraut, mustard and onions.

IMG_1716.thumb.JPG.588fa20eb7f90b2343c7c894a574befc.JPGI decided to celebrate the first fresh chives of the season atop some homemade potato salad.

IMG_1715.thumb.JPG.cbf3db59b5ab330643e3b2f01f51a3d8.JPGIt turned out to be a pretty good meal that we both enjoyed.

HC

IMG_1717.thumb.JPG.ad70f982164f28eb68761739a87c22f6.JPG 

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 14

2 minutes ago, Shelby said:

The taters got a little done on the bottom but that's my favorite part.

I'm partial to a bit of char too and I'm not talking about the fish, although there is nothing wrong with that, either. Not sure I would like charred char, though.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

10 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

antipasto plate

What can I say that would adequately express my admiration (and envy)?  

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

I'm partial to a bit of char too and I'm not talking about the fish, although there is nothing wrong with that, either. Not sure I would like charred char, though.

And nobody liked charred char binks.....   ;)

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

41 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

And nobody liked charred char binks.....   ;)

who are  you really?  Stephan Pastis?

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

IMG_3462.thumb.JPG.611b640d6b11f0010ff3512ce2082839.JPGFrom the north - fiery goat curry, spinach paneer, chapatis, rice, tamarind chutney, mango pickle and cucumber raita.

I was a bit disappointed with the goat curry, the gravy was good, but the goat not so tender. Since I bought that goat I've found a middle eastern butcher who sells goat, so will try again one day with his product.

• Like 11

Smooch for John with his gluten free pasta

and

tuna noodle casserole with homemade mushroom sauce for me

roasted sweet potatoes to do something with..............not sure what just yet

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

1 hour ago, robirdstx said:

Grilled Beef Rib Eye (Medium like I like it!) and Garlic Mash

IMG_0381.thumb.JPG.b098929ab5361cd41dcee89eba2cb3f4.JPG

I'd call it medium well, however!

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

After a rough week on the road, lined with chain restaurants, it was nice to be home and  eat a little home cooking.  I made a Greek style salad last night with really good Romanian feta.  Tonight was a combination of a prepped food from the freezer which included sausage stuffed SV chicken thighs, homemade andouille sausage and with a fresh KC strip.  Buttery pommes anna and a simple romaine to accompany.

P1050771rc.thumb.jpg.5b2f6fb62ef1362a8581bd3594f980a8.jpg

• Like 10

On 4/7/2017 at 9:41 PM, Ann_T said:

I hadn't anything planned for dinner so when Moe called me at work, I asked him what he wanted and he said antipasto.

58e84d66339a7_AntipastoBoardApril7th20172.thumb.jpg.1206b53260a059782be5f5fd5bcffc92.jpg

So I stopped at the grocery store on my way home from work and picked up what I needed.

58e84d99907bd_Antipasto_Board_April_7th_2017__with_grilled_vegetables.thumb.jpg.c92cc88185ee664b9ebc33557430319a.jpg

I grilled the eggplant, zucchini and peppers,

58e84d89a248a_AntipastoBoardApril7th2017withfigsandgorgonzola.thumb.jpg.2432f6f98a3d2d91da1f01f00e104147.jpg

paired fresh figs with Gorgonzola, melon with prosciutto,

58e84da07d2ee_AntipastoBoardApril7th20171.thumb.jpg.9ab41fdaeef12a2608714341884755e4.jpg

a little caprese salad, olives and salami. 

Outstanding!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ashen said:

spezzatino and grilled polenta

GEDC5540.JPG

I liked this even though I have no idea what spezzatino might be.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

It was another wonderful spring day in the neighborhood here, with afternoon highs in the mid 70's F/20's C. Sunny and not nearly as much wind as we've had lately. I'm getting really tired of having to hold tightly to the screen doors to keep them from smashing around in the winds lately.

So it was a grill out day! I started with a warm spinach salad. I cooked off bacon strips, removed and drained the bacon on paper towels. I poured off most of the bacon fat, reserving a little and added chopped onion and sauteed that a while. While that was going on, I juiced a lemon, and made lightly sweetened lemonade in a pint glass, because I like it fresh squeezed. I stuck the glass, which had been waiting in the freezer and filled with refrigerated water, lemon juice and sugar back into the freezer. Then I added vinegar, just a little sugar, salt and pepper to the sauteed onion in the skillet for the spinach salad dressing. In goes the baby spinach and that gets tossed over low heat until the leaves are coated well with the dressing and beginning to wilt a little. They continue to wilt after plating, which is why this dish waits for no woman. Top with a sliced hard boiled egg and crumbled bacon, and you have a delicious salad. I ate that, cleaned up the skillet and stove, and then went out to lay my charcoal fire.

When the fire was ready, I took a rib eye seasoned with salt and ground black pepper out and put it on the grill to cook. I started the microwave on a baking potato and went quickly back out to tend the grill. When the steak was almost done, I went back inside, turned the potato over in the nuker and hit it with another 2-1/2 minutes and took a clean plate out to retrieve my steak.

While the steak was resting, I split the potato, mashed the insides in the skin a little with a fork and added, butter, chives, a little mixed shredded cheddar and provolone, then returned it to the microwave for 30 seconds to melt everything together. When it came out, I topped the potato with yet more crumbled bacon and cut off a generous portion of the 1-1/2 pound, inch thick rib eye for my dinner. The steak was perfect, tender and oh so good. You know what, though? I think I prefer just butter and sour cream on a baked potato. Maybe a little chives. I will try a loaded one every so often, and it's okay, but next time, I'll definitely go simpler.

I had to forgo the usual roasted marshmallows for dessert, but it was worth it. I had some purchased chocolate cupcakes in the fridge, and I knew they were good because I had one for dessert last night. Tonight, I indulged in a second one.

Oh, and by the time I retrieved my glass of lemonade from the freezer, after I had sat down and taken a few bites of steak and potato, I discovered it had turned to lemonade slush. I liked this drink so much, I made myself another one, but the second one wasn't frozen, and a leetle vodka might have sneaked into it. :D

• Like 4

> ^ . . ^ <

image.jpeg.61ebf2f034d96178423beb80707b4ec0.jpeg

Chicken is a favourite back pocket recipe from David Lebovitz and the sweet potato is from Deborah Madison via the New York Times.

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 4/9/2017 at 1:47 PM, liuzhou said:

Had a fairly heavy (but not very good) lunch, so I wasn't that hungry tonight.

But there's always room for Spaghetti Alle Vongole.

clams.thumb.jpg.7f8536eed189a710dbfc246454426710.jpg

Garlic, chilli, clams, wine (Sauv Blanc) and spaghetti. S&P. Simple. Divine.

It looks amazing - I will use a first opportunity to do something similar :)

Edited by Kasia (log)
  • Like 2

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

www.home-madepatchwork.com

follow me on Facebook and Instagram

The Easter is coming so today Red eggs:

Ingredients:

4 eggs
125ml of beetroot concentrate (I usually use Polish Krakus)
1 tablespoon of mayonnaise
1 teaspoon of horseradish
2 tablespoons of minced cress
salt and pepper

the whole recipe here

DSC_0838a.jpg

DSC_0847a.jpg

• Like 13

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

www.home-madepatchwork.com

follow me on Facebook and Instagram

Roast beef, well SV'd beef sandwiches last night.  Homemade mayo, horseradish and caramelized onions were on there too.  The bowl there eventually held some beef broth and the plate eventually held some fries.

58eb81a05082c_photo65.JPG.a951e8327de18428a9ccc2c78853d6ee.JPG

• Like 11