• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 3)

Norm Matthews

Roasted salmon and vegetables over white lentil risotto with cashew gremolata

58e4cf7035d09_whitelentilrisotto.thumb.jpg.df31a2e3c752aaef0928ecde8a3cbda8.jpg

The salmon was my addition to a Purple Carrot meal.  My husband signed us up to get three Purple Carrot meals a week. They are based on a vegan, gluten free, low soy and who knows what else diet that New England Patriot Tom Brady follows.  To say I was skeptical is an understatement.  However, this first meal was actually really good!  I ended up saving my salmon for lunch today and just ate the lentils and vegetables.  I doubt we will keep the subscription for very long, but for now I guess I won't mind experimenting with whatever comes in the box.  I have the capacity to recycle all of the packaging, which is a plus.  

• Like 17

Tacos last night. I realized after I put away the camera, that the shredded lettuce was still in the fridge and never made it into the pics. I find it to be an integral part of the taco whereas Deb likes hers as they appear, sans shredded lettuce.

HC

IMG_1682.thumb.JPG.e12d17f3ebc4e37da700461b8382e0b9.JPGIMG_1681.thumb.JPG.d3c33ba26fc1bef244ad0602d6e44734.JPG

• Like 13

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Last night:

LasagneAlForno404042017.png

Lasagne al forno from Giuliano Bugialli's The Fine Art of Italian Cooking.  Finest lasagne I have made.  Hard to think of a better meal.

Page 189, I know because I've made that recipe so many times the pages have separated themselves from the book.  In fact, I love that book.  I bought it in 1982!

• Like 4

Crab cakes from Cooks Illustrated.  Ridiculously big.  I KNEW they would fall apart turning them in the pan.  Here's a picture before frying.  The final dinner plate looks like the cat's breakfast but tasted good.  Next time I will make them 1/3 the size, these were 4 oz each and made with crab, a very small amount of bread crumbs, mayo, chopped green onion, spices and some egg. They were left in the fridge to 'set up' from 12 hours.

DSC01874.thumb.jpg.7b0880ccb6878e280ae2a04ad9c5b272.jpg

• Like 14

image.thumb.jpeg.67c3319d43feb5d57b7cf4a76b665d42.jpeg

Bacon makes even avocado bearable.

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 4/4/2017 at 7:50 AM, chromedome said:

Good call. I haven't seen pre-tested sprouts anywhere here in Canada, but admittedly I haven't been looking. They don't seem to be much in demand anymore, at least here in New Brunswick. 

Hmmm, now that I think about it, Food Lion used to carry sprouts, and I think they disappeared around the time of the last contamination scare. I wasn't interested in contracting food poisoning, so just forgot about sprouts for a while. By the time I looked for them again, Food Lion had dropped them, and still doesn't carry them, but their selection has always been limited, although they are the least expensive supermarket in the area. I'm just glad to have found a safe source of sprouts again.

> ^ . . ^ <

Shrimp marsala with a nice juicy, ripe mango for dessert.

I looked at this recipe as well as others looking for ideas. I didn't find anything that really grabbed me over (the probably inauthentic) marsala dishes as they are served in restaurants in this area. I also had some lovely fresh mushrooms that I wanted to use, so my dish was simple. Sliced mushrooms sauteed in butter with garlic added after juices started to release, remove mushrooms, add a bit more butter, add peeled, deveined wild caught, NC shrimp, and more garlic. Sautee a minute, add marsala, add back mushrooms, reduce sauce, finish with a little more butter and serve over thin spaghetti.

I probably won't do it again, although it was good enough. I left me longing for the lighter flavor of just garlic, and butter finished with pasta water in this dish. I love my marsala made this way with pork, but with shrimp, the wine seems to muddy the flavor. Okay, I'm definitely not doing it again. :) The flavor of shrimp is so delicate. I don't even care for tomato in a shrimp dish, but that seems to be popular, so YMMV.

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

Ah, my, more Bugialli lasagne, preceded by an artichoke.  I, for one, eschew red wine with artichoke so it required some quantity of Soave to cleanse the palate.  The lasagne was accompanied by a bottle of Caroso Montepulciano d'Abruzzo 2010, a beverage a bit above my paygrade.

Tonight's digestive is a bottle of Bolivian Singani.  Untraditional, perhaps, but oh so good.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

image.thumb.jpeg.e12dbb79cc6ec2b0330d57200a648050.jpeg

I particularly like the method used in this adaptation of a recipe from The Kitchn. You heat a sheet pan in a very hot oven,  lay down your buttered bread slices, butter side down.  You then spread the slices with "dijonaisse" (a mixture of mayo and Dijon mustard), pile the vegetables and cheese on one slice and, when the cheese is melted, cover with the other slice which is now beautifully grilled. 

• Like 11

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I had a bit of leftover shrimp marsala for dinner. It was a side dish instead of an entree this time. Then I fried a zucchini, and then a 4 oz. ground chuck patty in the same skillet after collecting the oil and cleaning it. I served the hamburger on sliced Italian bread in anticipation of a 4 mile/6-1/2 km walk for supplies tomorrow. I had a few ounces of the last blueberries for dessert. More food than I usually eat, but you are supposed to carbo load for exercise, right? :)

• Like 5

> ^ . . ^ <

image.jpeg.6acd2f4b7ed04c789bdce12f16ddf162.jpeg

Details in the Ladies who Lunch topic. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog