• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 3)

Norm Matthews

A quick dinner today. Thin rice noodles, chickpeas, coconut milk, turmeric, a hint of cumin, fenugreek and anise, plenty of chili. Coriander and some more fresh chilies on top.

20170325_202704(1).thumb.jpg.d2e0edbe778dbe352cd87e8bd3017547.jpg

I seem to be on a coconut kick lately. Definitely not a complaint on my side.

• Like 10

~ Shai N.

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

What's stuffed into those peppers, @sartoric?  Looks like perhaps some cheese (what type?) and what else?

Cream cheese, grated cheddar and loads of minced spring onions ( the last of the current crop from the garden).

• Like 2

image.jpeg.07ced11035a546dd2fd34f3e7fffd2dc.jpeg

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, liuzhou said:

58dfb690a3235_fishcakeandsalad.thumb.jpg.9a378481310171335645c688aec78c6e.jpg

Simple, but did the job.

Cod fish cake with a green salad.

Ate more than one.

The other day I was about to order up some lovely cod from amazon...but then I read up on cod worms.  Originally I was going to purchase halibut, but that was before I reread @nathanm posting about the pain of halibut worms trying to poke their way through your digestive tract.  Plus I could not unsee the worm portrait from MC.

For me last night was another try at crab cakes from World of Warcraft.  I mashed them flat and fried at lower temperature.  Better, but still too much filling for my taste.  My salad was coleslaw and tomatoes.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

What are you doing for dinner tonight?

me:. Grilled chicken breast with prosciutto, basil and pine nuts.  Mash taters, carrot and tarragon jus.

not sure about how the tarragon and basil might clash, but meh.

• Like 3

Tenderized round steak braised in onion gravy, mashed potatoes, all of which were secondary to the real star of the show: fresh, local asparagus. Although my Hollandaise failed to thicken up very well.

58e16e777bcb1_cfsgravyasparagus.jpg.5a96f0a73650346f631be135b6703b04.jpg

Followed by strawberry shortcake. Local berries, just-barely-sweet creme fraiche, and for the base, I made my grandmother's teacakes. 

58e16ec0ced66_strawberryshortcake.jpg.7461778f3b5d0127fe84037d6b661d05.jpg

• Like 9

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

10 minutes ago, kayb said:

Tenderized round steak braised in onion gravy, mashed potatoes, all of which were secondary to the real star of the show: fresh, local asparagus. Although my Hollandaise failed to thicken up very well.

58e16e777bcb1_cfsgravyasparagus.jpg.5a96f0a73650346f631be135b6703b04.jpg

Followed by strawberry shortcake. Local berries, just-barely-sweet creme fraiche, and for the base, I made my grandmother's teacakes. 

58e16ec0ced66_strawberryshortcake.jpg.7461778f3b5d0127fe84037d6b661d05.jpg

You're killing me.

@Auro

Anyone making their own udon noodles has my sincere admiration.  

@JoNorvelleWalker

I came to broccoli rabe late in life  but it is truly one of my favourite vegetables now. 

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Took another drive to Whitestone, Queens yesterday; all of a sudden I spot this place, which I'd never seen nor heard of:

32949069604_7d1cdbcd95.jpg

I knew I had a bunch of mushrooms at home; I just didn't know what I was going to do with them.

32949071184_84060cf3ed.jpg

But fresh Durso's fettuccini with mushrooms turned out to be a good idea.

• Like 12

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@liuzhou

Malt vinegar?   Just saying...... if you want to be "authentic". xD

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog