• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 3)

Norm Matthews

image.jpeg.6e98076b4acb5d808a3995a9de0bb0f9.jpeg

A "forced march" dinner.  I have not been doing much cooking lately and find myself falling into the trap of doing whatever is easiest and fastest. Tonight I decided I needed to break out of that habit before it became the norm. In the end this didn't take very long at all. Frozen spinach done in the microwave, eggs softly scrambled,  tomatoes seeded and chopped and in fairly short order I had a surprisingly tasty meal. 

• Like 13

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Curry dinner from the other night.  The plated dish wasn't pretty so here are some prep pictures!  Using The Indian Family Kitchen cookbook to test a few recipes.  My SIL was here and loved the curries I made and I taught her some basics.  Then she emailed asking about spices and wanting the recipe for dahl that I had made when she was here.  I decided I would just buy her this book seeing it is really friendly towards those cooks new to Indian cuisine and the recipes are easy, well described and delicious.  She got her spices and some basic ingredients and made the dahl which she said was fantastic.  Even her meat and potatoes hubby liked it.  I decided to try two more dishes:  the spicy lamb chops (marinated in about five spices and grilled.....I burnt mine a bit which is why you only have them when they first when on the grill pan) and rice pilau.  This is a really good recipe.  The rice is cooked in a similar fashion to the pasta method..extra water/ then drain.  This was really good and so easy which is perfect of SIL because she doesn't have a lot of confidence in the kitchen....her first husband was a MasterChef in Germany.:wacko:

DSC01862.thumb.jpg.9d61a6f93f31c3db681c0e71651ef048.jpgDSC01861.thumb.jpg.2ce7f7998ac102b9b768da804637ccfb.jpg

• Like 9

Imaginative. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

A "forced march" dinner.  I have not been doing much cooking lately and find myself falling into the trap of doing whatever is easiest and fastest. Tonight I decided I needed to break out of that habit before it became the norm. In the end this didn't take very long at all. Frozen spinach done in the microwave, eggs softly scrambled,  tomatoes seeded and chopped and in fairly short order I had a surprisingly tasty meal. 

Last night's dinner was around 1:30 am (maybe more on that later) so tonight it's a can of Progresso Manhattan clam chowder and perhaps a salad...once I finish off my mai tai.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Last night's dinner was around 1:30 am (maybe more on that later) so tonight it's a can of Progresso Manhattan clam chowder and perhaps a salad...once I finish off my mai tai.

I may have to stock up on canned soups.  Although last night I dreamed of a refrigerator full of pre-prepared vegetables, a freezer with carefully labelled, already cooked meals  and I am sure I missed something… You know how it is with dreams.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

The truck from Point Judith was backing up to the loading dock as I pulled in, so I made my way right to the fish counter to see what was coming in. Soon a batch of fresh squid was put out on the ice and that was all I needed to see. One and a half pounds of uncleaned squid is just about right for the two of us. The price was right too!

IMG_1620.thumb.JPG.e1dabe1f31a438bc8efc9a16fb03b988.JPG

They were just about the perfect size and took just a few minutes to clean and portion.

IMG_1617.thumb.JPG.cf26a980ac0d905edb4db7184aca9f88.JPGIMG_1618.thumb.JPG.15b4f3e32ddf602a47ba6a0b8fcc9a75.JPG

Next order of business was some spicy kimchi tartar sauce.

IMG_1621.thumb.JPG.75b35624c4a63b8081599b7ee6d4fa2b.JPGIMG_1622.thumb.JPG.b3cd7bfe332c577d87f4cf2510912885.JPGIMG_1624.thumb.JPG.80da6974089a412b326e8ed2b56eabbe.JPG

I whipped up a small batch of coleslaw and the rest is history.

HC

IMG_1630.thumb.JPG.1517c704ff51d639e1bc7f1ed281e6b8.JPGIMG_1632.thumb.JPG.f0366cfc7d31c1b498d34dfc3501634b.JPG

• Like 15

Still suffering from the result of my fall at the weekend, but I managed to stumble and stagger to the nearest supermarket this morning. It took me about three times longer than usual and every step was painful. But, at least, I managed. I couldn't yesterday. Thankfully, my angel friend J brought me some sustenance last night.

Tonight, out of necessity, I kept it simple. A starter of salmon sashimi. Doesn't get any simpler.

salmon.thumb.jpg.702d2d9de8906b9611d0aa9a3202f7bd.jpg

The supermarket I went to isn't my favourite by far, but they were able to provide a de-boned chicken breast and some button mushrooms. I cut the chicken into chunks and marinated those with Shaoxing wine, soy sauce, garlic, chilli and potato starch. Browned them in the wok then added the mushrooms and some chicken stock from the freezer. Left to simmer while I cooked some rice.

chicken.thumb.jpg.cb32218a0650bfa7883157264ad1fa89.jpg

Finished with some "flowering" garlic chives. Was a lot better than I expected. There was some sauce which I added after taking the picture. Lubricated the rice nicely.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 14

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@dcarch VERY imaginative use of parsnips

@liuzhou PLEASE be careful; while it may be vertigo it may be something more serious

can't decide what I want to make later(doing some major paper recycling which involves boxes and boxes and cleaning up 20+ years of hording):

sloppy joes on some homemade crusty rolls with salad 

OR

tuna noodle casserole  - also with salad

Found some nice, fresh tuna to poach along with some creminis to saute and make my own faux mushroom soup with some thawed light vegetable broth.  Have to add some thawed peas and, if I have any, a crushed potato chip crust.  Any leftover mushrooms will be subjected to being made into stuffed mushrooms with the chopped stems, some panko and a bit of grated mixed cheeses.

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Spurred on by @C. sapidus, I looked up the details for Mysore masala dosa. The main difference is a red chutney spread on the cooked dosa before the potato masala goes on. The red chutney gets its colour from dried chillies not tomatoes and is hot and tasty. Ingredients were roasted channa dal, five cloves of garlic, tamarind, dried chillies, salt and a little water to blend. It's traditionally served with sambar and coconut chutney. 

Todays sambar included potato, carrot, zucchini and green beans. I also made a beetroot curry from the visually stunning book by Christine Manfield "Tasting India". 

IMG_3398.thumb.JPG.cdff01940f98684e306502707078a2ed.JPGIMG_3397.thumb.JPG.40e292f47f20060c43c0c7b3da3725a7.JPGIMG_3399.thumb.JPG.15f319bd599cb4595df8c3e2a74e244a.JPGIMG_3893.thumb.JPG.868e654e876034e790087d51e8e227ee.JPG

• Like 15

8 hours ago, suzilightning said:

@liuzhou PLEASE be careful; while it may be vertigo it may be something more serious

Thank you for your concern. It wasn't vertigo or anything similar. I simply slipped on a wet patch on a tiled floor while carrying a box of books and had no hands free to save myself. I am mending slowly.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, HungryChris said:

The truck from Point Judith was backing up to the loading dock as I pulled in, so I made my way right to the fish counter to see what was coming in. Soon a batch of fresh squid was put out on the ice and that was all I needed to see. One and a half pounds of uncleaned squid is just about right for the two of us. The price was right too!

IMG_1620.thumb.JPG.e1dabe1f31a438bc8efc9a16fb03b988.JPG

I did not know you were from Westerly.  I lived there as a young person.  Went to elementary school before we moved away.  The town library is so nice, and the adjacent park (Wilcox?) with the skating pond was lovely.  And of course the town owned beaches were a great asset. I was furious when we moved out of there!  It's such a cute town.  Nice price on the squid--it is much more here in MA.

Tonight we had Thai style fish cakes made with the last of the pollock from this week's fish share and a cucumber salad and rice

58dc65a76fd2b_thaifishmeatballs.thumb.jpg.c9ef9ded6a722f2dace9a93a8b4f60bc.jpg

Edited by liamsaunt (log)
  • Like 10

@HungryChris -- I WISH I could learn to like squid. I've tried it all ways imaginable, including raw and tempura'd in Japan, and I have yet to find it edible. 

@liuzhou -- take it easy. @Shelby and I will otherwise have to come out and take care of you. We'll adopt a dozen cats to live with you, and leave you with lots of canned tomatoes.

Dinner tonight was grapes, of the liquid variety. Ate a huge lunch at a noteworthy Southern restaurant icon, and I may not eat solid food for three or four days. I'm still miserably full, and that was 8+ hours ago.

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Kayb, squid needs just to be kissed with heat other wise you have rubber bands.  Tonight I made a pasta dish with squid and fennel.  The instructions were to cook the little 1/4 inch slices of squid for 3 minutes!  Not.  I put them in a hot, hot pan for maybe 30 seconds.  Took them out and proceeded with the rest of the recipe which had you add the squid back in to heat with the linguine and they weren't rubbery at all.  May 2015 Bon Apetite recipe for A Light Linguine recipe.  It was 'meh'.  Wouldn't make again.  Here is the mis and then the finished dish.

DSC01867.thumb.jpg.d198baeb068bdc2d0ef28fc10834c4c3.jpgDSC01868.thumb.jpg.75fe5c4752d0bfad7202d10097566250.jpg

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Kayb, squid needs just to be kissed with heat other wise you have rubber bands.

Or cooked for a long time. Those rubber bands do become tender again given time.

But generally, I agree. I usually cooked squid for seconds. Minute maximum. Depends where I'm going with it.

• Like 2

Another recent dinner poached from the World of Warcraft thread:

CrabCakes03302017.png

Coelslaw03302017.png

Crab cakes and coleslaw.  Coleslaw better than the crab cakes.

• Like 9

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

image.jpeg.f17dec70be87f62c3b3b0c3e509eae3f.jpeg

The best part? The sauce (hope it's accessible without a membership). The damn carrots?  Wanted to sous vide them but despite glass rods in the bag, all manner of things piled on top they continued to rise to the surface like a corpse from a CSI episode. Finally gave up and finished them stove top.  Somebody needs to design a carrot cage along the lines of a shark cage.  

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog