• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 3)

Norm Matthews

22 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Everyone's dinners look great as always!  

Last night I made flatbread with seared scallops and arugula.  My fish share accidentally gave me too much fish, and I ended up with 2 pounds of scallops instead of the one pound I ordered, plus 2 pounds of sand dabs, and two pounds of Faroe Island salmon!  

Double scallops? Oh, the humanity.... :P

Good of you to be so sporting about taking one for the team. 

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

Double scallops? Oh, the humanity.... :P

Good of you to be so sporting about taking one for the team. 

It's a tough job but someone has to do it ;-)  In all seriousness we called our share and paid for the second pound of scallops.  We certainly ate them!

Sand dabs stuffed with scallops and mushrooms with some spinach and baby potatoes

sole.thumb.jpg.b5d6e08f1ea9724a0a49bd66f3248be8.jpg

• Like 17

Nothing super exciting around here...

Sandwiches

58d28c9ce6e19_photo40.JPG.1253bbf92fd098a8e2b08f587d5117e2.JPG

Chicken enchiladas

58d28c978cb1d_photo41.JPG.e70cab355a65abe18f92121ad56dc177.JPG

Last night was a bit more fun...I ordered pasta online.  These were ravioli's stuffed with mushrooms.  Very good.  Two with venison meat sauce and two with a simple marinara.

58d28c8b993fc_photo42.JPG.ff3c2fdb47be9ca2b667df5d0a5095e6.JPG

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Nothing super exciting around here...

Well, I could do with any of that now!

Dinner for me was a miserable canned tuna sandwich. It's been a difficult (spelled s-h-i-t) couple of days. But I'm back home and tomorrow start again.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Last night's dinner wasn't very memorable except for the asparagus, cooked a la the infamous eG Roasted Cauliflower method.

Once the oven roasting was was over, I turned the oven off and removed the asparagus from the oven, sprinkled it liberally with shredded Parmesan cheese and put it back in the now-turned-off oven. After a couple of minutes, the residual heat was enough to melt the cheese. :x I could eat that stuff for days. Talk about Gilding the Lily!

• Like 5

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

Last night's dinner wasn't very memorable except for the asparagus, cooked a la the infamous eG Roasted Cauliflower method.

Once the oven roasting was was over, I turned the oven off and removed the asparagus from the oven, sprinkled it liberally with shredded Parmesan cheese and put it back in the now-turned-off oven. After a couple of minutes, the residual heat was enough to melt the cheese. :x I could eat that stuff for days. Talk about Gilding the Lily!

I have to say that "Gilding the Lily" is the exact phrase that first came to my mind when @liamsaunt started talking about stuffing scallops into sand dabs in order to use up an excess!

• Like 4

I went to all the trouble of making Thai green curry paste following a BBC good food recipe by John Torode. Made a curry with chicken thighs and sugar snap peas. It needed something, like an extra dollop of Mae Ploy brand paste, and it probably wouldn't have hurt to add extra coconut milk. Oh well....

IMG_3361.thumb.JPG.1e1aedd1d0240bd1cd9e03a40ffe6f49.JPG

• Like 10

Breakfast for dinner, inspired by a Facebook friend who mentioned cracklings and got me thinking about crackling cornbread with sorghum molasses. I had no cracklings and so had to make do with biscuits, but I did have the aforementioned sorghum molasses, as well as farm eggs, and I made some biscuits. I appear to have shaken off the bad biscuit juju; these rose decently and were pretty tasty! And I made them with butter, as I am out of shortening.

58d3154a6606f_breakfastfordinner.jpg.c492108c03de4bdd18008c9c012314fd.jpg

The Canadian bacon is from my second attempt at making my own, per the Ruhlman recipe. (My first attempt, I forgot the loin while it was curing in the storage room fridge...for about two weeks. It was a hockey puck when I discovered it.) Brined 72 hours, smoked to 145F, then chilled. I cut slices about 1/4 inch thick, seared them in a hot pan.

58d3166137125_canadianbacon.jpg.6cdca3b41af3178800100837e34de569.jpg

Pretty good. When I get ambitious, I'll slice up the entire chunk, vac-seal it in smaller portions, and freeze it. I think it'd be wonderful in a carbonara-ish pasta sauce, or a brown butter sage sauce, or in a lot of soup applications. I'm thinking I may have some tomorrow morning on a leftover biscuit for breakfast, too!

Yes, there was wine for dinner. With bacon and eggs. Sue me.

Edited by kayb
to add second photo. (log)
  • Like 14

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Last night's dinner was some leftover pulled pork and spaghetti squash that I had baked, scooped, cooled and then pan-fried in butter like hash-browns.  The latter was an experiment and successful, though I think next time I will try EVOO instead of butter.

spag-sq.jpg.10a1df64e07b8764f1209e19cc877714.jpg

• Like 9

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

It got to nearly 70 degrees F/21 C today, and the gusty winds we've been having lately had died down somewhat, so I planned to cook outdoors over charcoal. I am also loving the extra three hours of daylight we are experiencing in the evenings compared to just a few months ago, and only one of those hours is attributable to the time change. It was sunny and perfect for a grill out.

I grilled almost the whole dinner. The star of the show was a nice thick and fatty rib eye steak with a supporting cast of corn on the cob, asparagus, and good bread toasted, and roasted on the grill. This was preceded with a Greek salad with fig vinaigrette dressing. This was one of those meals where I had to stop myself from eating so I didn't hurt myself. So good! :D

Marshmallows toasted over the embers for dessert.

• Like 9

> ^ . . ^ <

Tonight I went Mediterranean in southern China.

Well actually, it began yesterday. Diced some lean pork and marinaded it in olive oil, garlic, crushed coriander and fennel seeds and dried oregano overnight.

Loose women, mushrooms, single headed garlic. shallots, yellow bell pepper coated with olive oil.

My intention was to do sticks with various items, but I prepared far too many vegetables, so I roasted them under the pork on sticks.

58d5250fac7b4_roastvegetablewpork1.thumb.jpg.93d21dbffbb1dffc61cf0dca1e8e01f6.jpg

Pre-cooking

58d52513d79fc_roastvegetablewpork2.thumb.jpg.d50628101559ea1a821cf33ffcdb452e.jpg

Half done

58d5250a5bfe3_roastvegetablewpork3.thumb.jpg.a8b1b21d849bffdb6e5543ad18734abc.jpg

Plated - serving #1

And there are leftovers for lunch tomorrow. Bonus.

• Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto