• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 3)

Norm Matthews

In an effort to redeem last night's dinner failure, if only to myself, I fell back on an old favourite tonight.

pork.thumb.jpg.e71a77839690d5adbe46da61fc44156e.jpg

Lemon Pork.

Cubed pork tenderloin marinaded for hours (preferably overnight) with olive oil, zest of half a lemon, juice of the whole lemon, chilli flakes, crushed coriander seeds, sea salt, black pepper and garlic.

The whole lot is poured into a skillet or pan (I used a wok) and cooked until the pork is done. ( I test one lump to be sure.)

Served with a tomato and onion salad which my crack team of photographers (i.e me and a cellphone) forgot to capture. Still, I guess you've seen a salad before. Use your imagination!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Porterhouse steak with steamed spuds, Brussels sprouts with garlic & bacon.

Brussels sprouts is something my wife refuses to eat. I'm sure it's a childhood memory of mushy over cooked sprouts that our parents and grand parents tried shoving down our throats.  I must admit I'm not that fond of them myself.  I was hoping that adding the bacon, garlic & butter would tempt her.     NO.

IMG_20170320_184054.thumb.jpg.d10d5bd2af78eb4f6615444708d5b61c.jpg

• Like 14

My son and I travelled to Mexico City for a few days.  Will post photos soon.  Delicious Mexian food, high end and food markets.  Flying back all I could think of was what I was going to cook once home.  Made chicken tapaka which is a Georgian dish similar to chicken under the brick.  It is often mis pronounced as tabaka but it is named after "tapa", a skillet that applies pressure to chicken as it cooks.  I used a skillet filled with water placed on top of chicken.  The chicken is cut through the breast bone (and not through the back bone) before you apply pressure to flatten the bird, this way wings fit perfectly in a little indentation between the leg and the breast.  Served with garlic sauce.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tabaka

image.thumb.jpg.93e2d2f3c741495b8c5434cdcf25bd26.jpg

• Like 13

A not quite ready for prime time dinner to start the week.  I had a couple of sous vide duck breast tucked far-far away in the freezer that I liberated from the gloom.  Other than the light from the incandescent bulb they hadn't seen the light of day for awhile.  Served with a balsamic vinegar, chicken stock and homemade fig reduction. A little sweet potato hash browned up in the duck fat and re-purposed asparagus completed the food pyramid.

P1050611r.thumb.jpg.794146d88c803f38ce2a86442bd75437.jpg

• Like 12

Corned beef, cabbage and carrots, a few days late since I was on the road.  Cooked the corned beef SV at 180F for 10 hours, added the carrots to the bath for the last two hours.  Cabbage was microwaved for a while by itself and then had the liquid and spices from the beef and the carrots added in for a few more minutes.

corned-beef-2.jpg.83dfa513f68e406726e0f96283bdbf87.jpg

• Like 10

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

I'm enjoying a grazing plate tonight of a couple outer Romaine leaves rolled around crumbled feta, a pepperoncini, some sliced cheddar, strawberries, California dried figs that are nice and soft, a Mexican Campari tomato and slices of Pane di Casa purchased rustic bread.

I could not believe Food Lion had 1 pound clamshells of Camparis for only $1.49 yesterday! They are good too.

• Like 4

> ^ . . ^ <

16 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I'm enjoying a grazing plate tonight of a couple outer Romaine leaves rolled around crumbled feta, a pepperoncini, some sliced cheddar, strawberries, California dried figs that are nice and soft, a Mexican Campari tomato and slices of Pane di Casa purchased rustic bread.

I could not believe Food Lion had 1 pound clamshells of Camparis for only $1.49 yesterday! They are good too.

I bought the Campari's at WD on Sunday and they were $3.49/#.  Definitely on the high side but the other four types/brands were not in the best of shape.  I had my heart set on a greek salad that night so I bit the bullet bought them.  The salad was great and the tomato premium turned out to be worth it.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steve Irby said:

A not quite ready for prime time dinner to start the week.  I had a couple of sous vide duck breast tucked far-far away in the freezer that I liberated from the gloom.  Other than the light from the incandescent bulb they hadn't seen the light of day for awhile.  Served with a balsamic vinegar, chicken stock and homemade fig reduction. A little sweet potato hash browned up in the duck fat and re-purposed asparagus completed the food pyramid.

P1050611r.thumb.jpg.794146d88c803f38ce2a86442bd75437.jpg

You have a light bulb in your freezer??

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

You have a light bulb in your freezer??

I do in my Amana. There isn't one in the Hotpoint (landlord's cheapo). The light is a great design, I think. My second husband was really good at mechanical stuff and rigged up a light in the trunk of my car in the 1980's. I think they are pretty standard now in car trunks and freezers. I hated going back out with a flashlight to search for a missing item from my grocery order in the trunk in the dark. Hee hee, sometimes he would go out while I was stowing groceries instead of listening to me complain about the missing item. I loved that trunk light, and the light in the freezer too.

6 hours ago, Steve Irby said:

A not quite ready for prime time dinner to start the week.

Other than the fact that the duck may have been old, it looks and sounds like a prime time dinner to me. I am sensitive to "freezer taste", though, so that would have put me off. I like the sweet potato accompaniment with the pecans on top and asparagus never goes astray with me.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

Everyone's dinners look great as always!  

Last night I made flatbread with seared scallops and arugula.  My fish share accidentally gave me too much fish, and I ended up with 2 pounds of scallops instead of the one pound I ordered, plus 2 pounds of sand dabs, and two pounds of Faroe Island salmon!  I gave half of the salmon and dabs to my sister, and she took a few of the scallops, but we still have more scallops to eat.  I am thinking of stuffing the sand dabs with scallops for dinner tonight.

58d10c7316ed8_scalloppizza.thumb.jpg.12e26e452430f7d9a81bf7af0b3b084c.jpg

• Like 20

Burger night here with a medley of toppings: Marinated sliced mushrooms, thinly sliced raw onions, thinly sliced sauteed onions, pickle chips and sliced tomatoes. I used to put out lettuce, but it always went directly into the trash after dinner.

HC

IMG_1530.thumb.JPG.71bc299d4949fdceca4b242c2503bed3.JPGIMG_1531.thumb.JPG.6c2cd95059f834d325ba26a7b5570ec3.JPGIMG_1532.thumb.JPG.a581d2ba7e014139ee7539f430747a5d.JPGIMG_1533.thumb.JPG.7bb3c46b87a500563e77111f3287ee6d.JPG

• Like 14

Masala dosa, cauliflower kurma, rice, sambar and assorted fresh chutneys.

This dosa (my third attempt at cooking them, it gets easier with practice) is stuffed with a spicy potato mix.

The chutneys are tomato, coconut and green (coriander & mint).

IMG_3357.thumb.JPG.e4c2254d7bd7fed1de498451eb7aaf92.JPGIMG_3358.thumb.JPG.2de76e245e89070a8f54e01c571690a1.JPG

• Like 17

The idea for a fisherman's burger was created on holiday when my daughter ordered a meal with a similar name and she was very disappointed. The fish – which came in a crispy roll - was so heavily spiced that we didn't know if it was a fish or something different. You may use any kind of fresh fish to prepare a fisherman's burger: codfish, hake or pollock, but salmon would be great as well.

Ingredients (for 4 people):
Fish burger:
500g of fresh fish
1 onion
1 clove of garlic
4 tablespoons of minced dill
1 small kaiser roll
1 egg
200ml of milk
1 tablespoon of butter
salt and pepper
3 tablespoons of breadcrumbs
3 tablespoons of sesame seeds
Dip:
3 tablespoons of mayonnaise
2 tablespoons of natural yoghurt
½ onion
½ apple
6 pickled mushrooms
½ teaspoon of mustard
pepper
others
4 fresh kaiser rolls
lettuce
tomato
red onion

the whole recipe here

DSC_0404a.jpg

• Like 16

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

www.home-madepatchwork.com

follow me on Facebook and Instagram

1 hour ago, sartoric said:

Masala dosa, cauliflower kurma, rice, sambar and assorted fresh chutneys.

This dosa (my third attempt at cooking them, it gets easier with practice) is stuffed with a spicy potato mix.

The chutneys are tomato, coconut and green (coriander & mint).

@sartoric, this looks delicious (as do all of your Indian meals). I'm wondering if you follow a recipe for your tomato chutney and if you can share? That dosa looks beautiful, too! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

@sartoric, this looks delicious (as do all of your Indian meals). I'm wondering if you follow a recipe for your tomato chutney and if you can share? That dosa looks beautiful, too! 

I look forward to @sartoric's response but in the meantime, have you tried the marvelous tomato chutney from this thread?  It's a winner!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FauxPas said:

Thank you @FauxPas, the best thing is my husband is raving about vegetarian food and losing weight.

Regards the recipe, I have so many indian food sites and books that I couldn't be sure of the exact recipe. This one had tomatoes and onion ground together in my mixie, there were mustard seeds and curry leaves spluttered in sesame oil, then the raw tomato onion mixture added and simmered a bit. There were probably other spices, I do recall tamarind was in there somewhere. The aim is to get confident enough to just make it off the cuff. I'm getting there !

Edited by sartoric (log)
  • Like 5

55 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I look forward to @sartoric's response but in the meantime, have you tried the marvelous tomato chutney from this thread?  It's a winner!

I've read the whole thread, along with most of the Indian cooking section. Such great info on eGullet !

i haven't tried that particular chutney YET ! It's on the list though....

• Like 4

I had a salad of red leaf lettuce dressed with soy sauce, honey, white vinegar, olive oil and a little toasted sesame oil. Then followed a king crab leg and asparagus with some of the great Pane di Casa bread. I cooked the asparagus in the same pot with the crab, dropping the crab after the asparagus, and this worked fine. There were melted butter and lemon wedges for both the crab and asparagus. 

• Like 9

> ^ . . ^ <