• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 3)

Norm Matthews

The courgette is one of my favourite vegetables. When during the autumn there are beautiful, ripe and fresh ones at the market, I buy them very often. You can use them to prepare a lot of dishes, such as soups, salads and stewed courgette. Two years ago I found at the market some courgettes in an interesting round shape, and since then I have prepared stuffed courgette more often. They are ideal for this purpose, as they are fleshy and their shape lets you fill with them with a barrel of stuffing.

So far I have filled courgettes with minced meat or buckwheat groats and tomatoes. Today I propose that you prepare some stuffing with bulgur and smoked bacon and dried tomatoes.

Bulgur is a kind of cereal food made from rich wheat groats. It contains a lot of potassium, calcium, sodium and magnesium, all of which enable the cardiovascular system to work properly. It is a rich source of dietary fibre which reduces our bad cholesterol level. It is recommended for people who are exposed to stress and strain, because it is rich in vitamin B and magnesium – nutrients which make the nervous system work properly.

Ingredients:

3 round courgettes
100g of bulgur
200g of smoked bacon
1 onion
2 cloves of garlic
4 dried tomatoes
half a red sweet pepper
100g of emmenthal cheese
2 sprigs of rosemary
1 teaspoon of powdered sweet pepper
salt and pepper

the whole recipe is here

DSC_0268b.jpg

DSC_0278b.jpg

• Like 12

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

www.home-madepatchwork.com

follow me on Facebook and Instagram

17 minutes ago, Kasia said:

The courgette is one of my favourite vegetables. When during the autumn there are beautiful, ripe and fresh ones at the market, I buy them very often. You can use them to prepare a lot of dishes, such as soups, salads and stewed courgette. Two years ago I found at the market some courgettes in an interesting round shape, and since then I have prepared stuffed courgette more often. They are ideal for this purpose, as they are fleshy and their shape lets you fill with them with a barrel of stuffing.

So far I have filled courgettes with minced meat or buckwheat groats and tomatoes. Today I propose that you prepare some stuffing with bulgur and smoked bacon and dried tomatoes.

Bulgur is a kind of cereal food made from rich wheat groats. It contains a lot of potassium, calcium, sodium and magnesium, all of which enable the cardiovascular system to work properly. It is a rich source of dietary fibre which reduces our bad cholesterol level. It is recommended for people who are exposed to stress and strain, because it is rich in vitamin B and magnesium – nutrients which make the nervous system work properly.

Ingredients:

3 round courgettes
100g of bulgur
200g of smoked bacon
1 onion
2 cloves of garlic
4 dried tomatoes
half a red sweet pepper
100g of emmenthal cheese
2 sprigs of rosemary
1 teaspoon of powdered sweet pepper
salt and pepper

the whole recipe is here

DSC_0268b.jpg

DSC_0278b.jpg

That looks lovely. I often see these (zucchini, in the US) at the farmers' market. This round variety is known here as "eight-ball," for its resemblance to a billiard ball. I like the idea of the buckwheat stuffing; I will try this when the season begins!

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

After three days of sub-par food in the FL panhandle tonight's offering was as much therapy as dinner.  I had a couple of decent shaped potatoes that I prepped in the spirit of Francis Mallmann and roasted up the trimmings with cherry tomatoes, oil-cured olives and capers.  I had too much liquid from the tomatoes for the potatoes to bind but the dish was delicious!  De-boned some chicken thighs, simply seasoned and forgot about the preceding days.  Finished all preps with a splash of olive oil and fresh herbs. 

rP1050590.thumb.jpg.ac18f91301780d8155b53b25ff610f4a.jpg

rP1050596.thumb.jpg.faafee5caa3a44a9e10cbbc90f711bf8.jpg

P1050589rr.thumb.jpg.56730d59d0a9e5ed1171e73ba8af68c8.jpg

rP1050586.thumb.jpg.8993182ac2fa381c0ea5efe6cca38da8.jpg

• Like 15

Bangers & mash with mushroom sauce and garlic zucchini. The snags were chicken, wild mushroom and garlic from Aldi. The mash with grated white horseradish, mushroom sauce made with fresh shiitake and dried porcini.

IMG_3339.thumb.JPG.e68bff70e0dd0dbe3c3a12cf269f7409.JPG

• Like 13

No pics....waaah

a piece of flap meat seared on the comal, sliced and served  with toasted corn tortillas, grilled peppers and onions, diced tomatoes and shredded cheese .   I wish I had cilantro but overall quite tasty and hit the spot 

• Like 4

Charlie and I plan to be out of town tomorrow morning so I thought I'd cook the corned beef today to save time and finish the meal when we got home but in the end, went ahead and cooked the vegetables and we had the meal today instead. I cooked some yeast bread and didn't want to do the soda bread too.  The brisket was brined for perhaps close to a month.  Today I cut it in half and saved the other half and plan to season it for pastrami and smoke it on Sunday.

20170316_170533.jpg

20170316_191309.jpg

20170316_191523.jpg

• Like 19

@sartoric Sound delicious! 

Mafaldine in walnut cream (toasted walnuts blended with a little milk), nutmeg, pepper. Dollops of warm ricotta, mixed with a little lemon zest and a little salt. Grated parmesan, chopped walnuts, drizzle of honey.

20170317_145426.thumb.jpg.5b374590d696b41b82e48cd2d50f5240.jpg20170317_145451.thumb.jpg.af4144f7c3b8c9cee662c7c8742c9aaf.jpg

• Like 6

~ Shai N.

For carry out that looks like a nice pie.  

Got got home late so dinner had to be simple and  quick cooking

Sea scallops on pasta with a side salad.   The pasta was cooked in a shallow large fry pan with slivered garlic in the water, drained and tossed with a butter, cream. garlic and lemon juice reduction.   The scallops were cooked in butter and garlic.   Salad dressing was lemon juice, garlic, olive and neutral oil, mustard and a dash of sugar, s/p. 

image.jpeg

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 13

Thai pork skewers, steam baby bok toy, grilled eggplant with curry oil rub (after I microwaved the eggplant until 75% cooked), and noodles stir fried with green onion and topped with crushed peanuts and fried shallots.  I blow torched the pork for a little colour seeing the CSO didn't get them brown before they were cooked.

Last night I forgot to take a picture of our sous vide short ribs, two potato mash (50/50 sweet and russets), M. Hazen's stuffed mushroom, caramelized based gravy, and green beans with salsa verde.  The last item was really nice.  A great contrast to the other rich items.  BUT, I had packaged four portions of the meat, after 48 hours I was not remembering this.  In the last minute rush to heat, brown and plate everything I left one package of beef in the bag!  We gave our guests two pieces of the beef and suffered with what my DH called a 'tasting menu' sized portion.  Sheesh.  He got the meat in tonight's leftover meal.

DSC01854.thumb.jpg.d389c7ba3491cb4c29612ce74f9c6664.jpg

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

The very first thing we always do with leftover corned beef is make Rueben sandwiches.

20170317_132144.jpg

That's the very first thing I do with CB. And then hash. And then more Ruebens.

• Like 2

I haven't cooked for days, or at least very little and nothing worth reporting. A combination of the weather, being busy with earning a living and rampant laziness. Plus one critical factor.

Like most people in Chinese cities, my cooking is mainly done on a gas powered hob. But the gas is bottled and so, I have to call the gas man when I need more. This I did, but he was out of town so I was gasless for 36 hours. Fortunately, I do have an oven, a nuclear box and an electric induction thing, so I didn't starve. I ignored the oven, nuclear box and an electric induction thing and went out for breakfast, lunch and dinner. 

Mr Gas returned today, dropped by with a new gas bottle and apologised profusely for enjoying himself instead of being at my beck and call. So, I'm back in full cooking land.

To celebrate I came up with

20170318_203646.thumb.jpg.f32e405f56247df0f3efa1d380b7a391.jpg

Pan fried (1-10-10) a brined chicken breast. Stir fried some peanut shoots with soy sauce. Rice cookered some rice with turmeric. Topped with a butter, olive oil mix infused with garlic, chilli and capers. Put it into mouth and smiled.

• Like 15

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

11 hours ago, gfweb said:

That's the very first thing I do with CB. And then hash. And then more Ruebens.

The other day I saw a recipe for Irish tacos.  It uses soft tortillas, corned beef, coleslaw and jalapeños.  As soon as the other half of the corned beef comes out of the smoker, I am going to give that a try.

• Like 4