• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 3)

Norm Matthews

7 hours ago, ninagluck said:

my fishmonger had beautiful wild salmon loins. I cured them with salt/sugar/meyer lemon peel and cooked them sv for 25min to 40° C. I served it with a cucumber tartare, dill oil and dill tempura. very fresh, clean taste.

IMG_2751.JPG

Oh...my. That looks, and sounds, just stunning. How long did you cure? And how do you prepare cucumber tartare? The dill tempura just takes this one over the top. 

I want it.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Did some freelance work about an hour away on my weekend day off.   Got home late so dinner was a quickie

A  bag of mushroom raviolli, a local grocery find, was lightly boiled  briefly and finish in brown butter.   Served with a salad 

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, kayb said:

Oh...my. That looks, and sounds, just stunning. How long did you cure? And how do you prepare cucumber tartare? The dill tempura just takes this one over the top. 

I want it.

It really is a stunning dish 

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

@JoNorvelleWalker where'd you get those tomatoes in March?

http://www.sunsetgrown.com/products/kumato/

They are very good.  A few days ago I finished up the very last of my homegrown balcony tomatoes from last summer.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Ronnie wanted biscuits and gravy last night.  

For those that don't know, I'm biscuit challenged.  

I usually cobble some together using self-rising flour and just cross my fingers that they rise and taste good.  Yesterday I decided I could do better so I googled "egullet" and "biscuits" and came up with a thread started by @Kerry Beal with a reference to @Ann_T 's country biscuits.  The link to Ann's recipe in egullet was broken so I went to Ann's blog and found this recipe for Country Biscuits .  (Ann has a great blog, by the way, filled with her stunning food pictures and her recipes never fail me....also, I have one of her lovely cutting boards which I highly recommend--my mom bought it for me and I love it).  Anyway, hallelujah, success!  Mine weren't as tall as Ann's but they sure were pretty enough for us and they taste sooooo good.  Nice and fluffy.  So we had those with venison sausage gravy, a bit of boudin and eggs.

58c557719f9ae_photo30.JPG.d40a278f4f64572b4dae44592d6a5b47.JPG

58c5576782ffa_photo2copy.JPG.a712b2d4be8b9b3c2aaca2a6c12c209c.JPG

• Like 19

These took a long time, but it was worth it, I think.

ribs.thumb.jpg.b310f08c16bfeb5b8cc83bd8d46cdc6e.jpg

Beef ribs marinaded in Shaoxing wine and soy sauce with garlic, ginger, Sichuan peppercorns, fennel seeds, star anise, chilli, salt for 12 hours overnight. Popped into the slow cooker early in the morning at the high setting for an hour then at the low setting of another 8 hours while l I went to pretend to work.

Ribs and cooking liquid separated and fridged again. Today, removed the congealed fat from the top of the cooking liquid now a lovely gelatinous jelly (yeah, I know that is tautological). Recombined with the ribs. Reheated with some chopped scallion on top.

I planned to serve this with rice, but at the last moment decided on simple boiled potatoes, fork mashed on the plate. There was some Shanghai bok choy somewhere in the picture, too,

The rib meat wasn't so much falling off the bone, but had already decidedly parted company somewhere earlier. I'll be doing this again.

• Like 13

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@kayb I cured overnight, Salt/sugar ratio 2:1 + lemon peel. this was on the salty side, so I soaked it in fresh water for abt 1 hour. cucumber peeled, deseeded, diced, mix with lime rind+ lime juice, a shalot, chili, salt , a pinch of sugar and if you have, some lemon oil, drain before serving. I did like it with this fatty salmon.  

• Like 4

Not quite dinner yet but just a few hours away.  Boston Butt, porchetta style, with knife pockets stuffed with thyme, sage, oregano, rosemary, garlic and fennel pollen.  Gilded the lily so to speak by finishing the pockets with guanicale strips. 

rP1050579.thumb.jpg.3c7cd53bf1e288086850bb843ecb02bb.jpg

• Like 15

Mezze platter - spicy chicken chipolatas, black eye beans with spinach, fresh tzatziki, home cured olives, quick pickled red onions, pan fried haloumi, assorted pickles, pita bread and late afternoon sunshine.

The beans and tzatziki were from the book Falling Cloudberries by Tess Kiros. I'll make both of these again.

IMG_3313.thumb.JPG.d80eddb28b647f983915cc594727d7e9.JPG

• Like 22

This recipe from the book, Samarkand, caught my interest (particularly  because I had a vacuum pack of chestnuts that were ageing quietly in my pantry).  I no longer remember why I bought them.  It definitely brought to mind South African  Bobotie.  image.jpeg.7d9ac8ad3629025467424a785be0bd87.jpeg

image.jpeg.a17ae699ab3b13f101d07fa3c506edfe.jpeg

I mostly adhered to the recipe although I did halve it and while I began to defrost the chicken with a view to cooking it on the stove, I quickly realized I could throw it into the Instant Pot. In the end I found the dish rather disappointing. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Meat loaf, mashed potatoes, steamed-from-frozen peas and carrots, drained, buttered, and sprinkled with fines herbes.

58c5cf5829a51_meatloaf.jpg.757ee521afe7cbbad33d455d493f126e.jpg

The meat loaf is my old stand-by recipe, but with a difference. It's about a half-inch thick. It's made from just a single pound of ground beef, with the usual add-ins (panade, etc.). I tried out my new baking pan I'd gotten for the CSO:

58c5cfa83d17d_flatmeatloaf.jpg.cdeef82483391aeb5447931d8413c9d5.jpg

When I first got it out, I thought, "Oh, this is too big for this little bit of meat loaf," and then I thought, "wait a minute!" I like a thin meat loaf because I like the larger ratio of outside-to-inside. Why not flatten it out even more (in the 11.5 x 11.5 inch pan), and it ought to be just about the right thickness for a meat loaf sandwich? I steam-baked it for 20 minutes at 325, drained off the grease and liquid, then gave it another 10 on 475 to crisp up the top and bottom. It was good, and even better, I have two sandwich-sized slabs and one half-sandwich sized one stashed in the fridge for lunches this week!

The leftover mashed potatoes are in a ramekin, destined for breakfast tomorrow; I'm thinking they'll make a marvelous base for eggs en cocotte. 

Sometimes I'm so sustainable I scare myself.

• Like 17

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

My attempt to recreate Lydia Shire's Swiss steak.

https://www.ming.com/simply-ming/episodes/season-12/episode-1225-all-in-one-satisfying-steak-dinners-with-lydia-shire.htm

This roast was intended for a big meal with guests, but I discovered that the seal had broken in the freezer and I decided to use it for a practice run. 

Here is the chuck roast.

IMG_1434.thumb.JPG.6e526deb6a91973a0914b65532f77c73.JPG

She seasoned both sides and transferred to the pot. I chose to season and flour one side and season and flour the other side  while the first side was browning.

IMG_1435.thumb.JPG.4687c62836762896a16cec8b5dcc3d02.JPG

Here goes the salt and pepperIMG_1436.thumb.JPG.ddd5c485e96695c7707a9df22658283e.JPG

Followed by flour.

IMG_1437.thumb.JPG.9bb94932c1dd3629ed5a40f48191101f.JPG

After browning the other side, I added back the onions on top, dry sherry, water, tomato paste (all on the side), topped with chopped tomatoes,salt and pepper, covered and put in the 300 F oven for 3 hours and served over buttered noodles.

HC

IMG_1440.thumb.JPG.291180e15225504a55f8e6fb0f7d49ff.JPG

IMG_1439.thumb.JPG.9cd014c045e708dc2b547bc62f768cf8.JPG 

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 16