• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 3)

Norm Matthews

@rarerollingobject – everything you make (both savoury and sweet) looks astonishingly good -even the stuff I KNOW I couldn’t eat (too spicy), but that char siu bun dish just is making me swoon.  I am a fool for char siu and can imagine a more wonderful version of it!

@scubadoo97 -  oooouuuchhies!  So sorry about your mishap.  Hope it heals quickly!

Steve – I mustn’t let Mr. Kim see your hanger steak.  I’m quite sure that I could never get mine cooked so utterly perfect like yours.  It would only cause trouble! 

Dinner last night was DC Half-Smokes for me (Wegman’s Andouille for Mr. Kim – no picture because it looks just like mine), kraut, fixed-up beans and a Kalamata olive and rosemary batard:

DSCN6452.JPG.a7cdb5e1f6845c43110e5a2253596bba.JPG

DSCN6450.JPG.4d7c9e6465a9a2cfc8104d63d9034f3e.JPG

• Like 13

I look away from this thread for a few days and have 3-4 pages of gorgeous meals to look through. So many beautiful things!

I haven't been posting much but i have been taking pictures so i have so backlog. 

Last night: Pork chops marinated in cider and some spices then grilled (it was grill weather for the first time in months :D) over creamed leeks and topped with apples sautéed with some sugar, flambeed in brandy and then simmered in cider. With roasted potatoes and a salad.

DSC02134.thumb.jpg.ac571e67fcfff500ff9675a9226e3c35.jpg

Kreatopita and salad with feta and olives.

DSC02113.thumb.jpg.1cd2cd02bee37c6a75247d61e72b9f20.jpg

CI's Tuscan bean stew - the variation with sausage and cabbage rather than pancetta and kale. My husband calls this "shovel food" because it tastes so good and satisfying that you just keep shoveling it in.

DSC02124.thumb.jpg.2a047a7b6151c1b2b7180dabceeed59c.jpg

• Like 17

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

19 hours ago, sartoric said:

Was it good ? If so, where is it please ?

Very good. @sartoric

Chong Co.  At the 'Kitchen's' Robina Town Centre.

I'm happier than ever with this place for quality and variation of produce.  Something the Gold Coast lacks miserably.

Edited by Captain (log)
  • Like 1

image.jpeg.368e618e905139d1035bd65e39b6abb5.jpeg

A decidedly uncomposed salad. 

• Like 19

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

A few recent meals I didn't get a chance to post...

Butternut squash ravioli (from Trader Joe's) with brown butter and foraged sage (it grows everywhere around here). It's such a wonderful pairing.

Butternut squash ravioli with brown butter and foraged sage

Chicken breast (cooked sous vide) with chard gratin (recipe from Anne Willan in the Country Cooking of France)

Chicken breast (sous vide) with chard gratin

Chard gratin

Delmonico steak (aka bone-in rib eye), cooked sous vide and finished on the grill, with braised green cabbage (recipe from Molly Stevens in All About Braising), potato and celeriac puree

Delmonico steak cooked sous vide and finished on the grill

Delmonico steak cooked sous vide and finished on the grill

Delmonico steak and braised green cabbage

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 20

Got home very late last night (flight delays) and utterly starving. Thank heavens for freezers and nuclear devices. Pulled out a bag of chicken legs and defrosted 3 of them in the nuclear box.

Cooked them with shallots, capers, olives, a bird's eye chili and white wine, finishing them off with some garlic chives, a tickle of butter and a squeeze of lemon juice. Most unusually, I served it (to myself) over rice - something I almost never do.

dinner.thumb.jpg.4ffe1e015d08950ebf81d036f3409cdd.jpg

also posted in the Freezer Challenge topic

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 11

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@Anna N  Your salad looks so good.  I'm craving salad.  Salad, salad salad.

Threw together a pasta dish.  Cajun spices, andouille sausage, shrimp, green bell peppers, garlic, onions, tomatoes and broccoli.  Splash of white wine to deglaze after cooking the sausage.  Cream to finish it off.  Not too shabby. 

58c170836de96_photo29.JPG.14529e899599d95ecfc4d9d8c0165ab9.JPG

• Like 14

We went to a local street food market and bought two long sausages, one is spicy, one is very spicy (firewurst).

In duck fat I sautéed some cooked small potatoes, onions and the cut up sausages. Shredded sauerkraut went on top, served with heaps of horseradish.

IMG_3301.thumb.JPG.57149bb17756536916ee373ce355a9d5.JPG

• Like 10

On 3/7/2017 at 11:57 PM, Thanks for the Crepes said:

After yesterday's disappointing dinner, I was due for a treat. I walked down to my fish market and got a pound of king crab legs. They had gone up from $19.99 to $22.99 a pound, so increase, but not as bad as I feared. Expensive, but I eat a lot of beans, eggs and cheap stuff that I like for everyday. I found ground chuck on sale for $1.99 a pound the other day and picked up a couple pounds. That will make 8 meals for me. I really needed a culinary pick-me-up too.

I also got a lemon, a tomato and an order of fried okra. I munched on the okra on the way home while it was hot from the fryer. When I got home, I stowed the crab legs back in the freezer and finished off the okra, then set a large pot to boil for a primi of angel hair pasta. After I ate that, I used the same pot to briefly boil one of the frozen, but already cooked legs. Two legs came out to 1.02 pounds. I had my crab with melted butter in my butter warmer and lemon wedges. It felt weird firing up one of the butter warmers just for me for the first time, but this was a fabulous meal, and just what I needed.

I had left the pot on a low simmer just in case I was still hungry enough to eat the other crab leg, but one was enough, as usual, so I have another treat for another day. I had iced and lightly sweetened black tea with more lemon to wash it down. All is right with the world again. :)

Crab legs cure many ills. Glad you treated yourself!

On 3/8/2017 at 8:23 AM, Shelby said:

Potato salad and BBQ pork sandwiches.  The 'taters were spicy because they were leftover from the crawfish boil.  58c0139de5365_photo27.JPG.a3a3fbe282b74bc77d6a9612658b53ab.JPG

58c013d1a6269_photo28.JPG.4264cf457f08b5074ee1ab9e230e9ad5.JPG

Onion and pickle on a barbecue sandwich? That's...odd. At least in my Memphis-centric barbecue world. Great idea on the use of leftover crawfish boil potatoes, though. Bet that salad was excellent!

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

@Anna N  Your salad looks so good.  I'm craving salad.  Salad, salad salad.

Threw together a pasta dish.  Cajun spices, andouille sausage, shrimp, green bell peppers, garlic, onions, tomatoes and broccoli.  Splash of white wine to deglaze after cooking the sausage.  Cream to finish it off.  Not too shabby. 

58c170836de96_photo29.JPG.14529e899599d95ecfc4d9d8c0165ab9.JPG

Now, that just looks excellent. I have some spicy cured chorizo that would serve marvelously in that role...

@scubadoo97, my sympathies on the mandoline mishap. I once took a divot of skin and flesh out of the underside of my ring finger, between my knuckle and palm; my ring stopped the blade from going further. It was difficult to tell whether the cursing or the bleeding was more prolific. The cut-proof glove is a now a must in my house.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Baby back ribs, two ways:  Smoked BBQ style for me, char siu style for my wife.  Served with white corn in butter and salad with a new (for me), experimental sherry vinaigrette (EVO/rice bran oil blend, sherry vinegar, honey, dijon mustard, salt, pepper and a touch of TJ's 21 seasoning blend).  Accompanied by a 2005 LVC Zin that was past it's prime, but still drinkable.

csribs4.jpg.a3cb907162c66e29a8b1ed34a879daf8.jpg

lmribs-w.jpg.df3cf3c9bff477ac901f0fb195bf3b5f.jpg

lmribs-p.jpg.03bf170e7e5c298589c7e2aa61afad10.jpg

• Like 11

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs