• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 3)

Norm Matthews

1 hour ago, scubadoo97 said:

@chefmd  your scallops look great

i was planning on seared scallops with a beet carpaccio but the mandolin got the best of me.  3 stitches later on my right index finger.  Damn!

Dumb move not to use the guard. 

Publix sub for dinner 

Sorry about your injury, scuba. Because of all the war stories on here, many in the I Will Never Again ... thread, I will never have a mandolin in my house. I enjoy knife work anyway. I find it relaxing for some inexplicable reason.

How was your Publix sub? I sure hope it was better than the one I tried to eat from Subway.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

I'm a knife guy so usually I don't use the mandolin often and usually use the guard when getting close to the blade.  Looking at the amount of beet uncut I'm still not sure how my finger got that close to the blade.    I was shooting for paper thin slices which is just easier on the mandolin.  But it was a bonehead move 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

I'm a knife guy so usually I don't use the mandolin often and usually use the guard when getting close to the blade.  Looking at the amount of beet uncut I'm still not sure how my finger got that close to the blade.    I was shooting for paper thin slices which is just easier on the mandolin.  But it was a bonehead move 

We've all been there. In the case of my worst mandoline cut, I was actually using the guard but a carrot stuck and my little finger ended up hitting the blade before the guard. That wasn't a happy night. Fortunately the building owner's niece, an experienced RN, was in the next room and bandaged me up quickly and neatly. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 3/6/2017 at 7:58 AM, Anna N said:

with umami butter. (The butter is from Chris McDonald's book on sous vide. It contains such things as anchovies, soy sauce, nutritional yeast...).

Cool!

I plan to try the 'Turbo Broccoli" with umami butter soon.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

54 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Cool!

I plan to try the 'Turbo Broccoli" with umami butter soon.

I didn't do the SV broccoli but just steamed mine then dressed it with the butter so I'll be interested to hear how it goes if you SV them together. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

When in Germany ...

While I do prefer other cuisines over that of my home country, you just can't argue with piles of meat and beer :smile:

Haxe, Bratkartoffeln, Andechser Spezial (1L glass) and Schnapps. One happy meal ...

WP_20170307_17_47_13_Pro.jpg

WP_20170307_18_11_57_Pro.jpg

WP_20170307_18_12_07_Rich.jpg

WP_20170307_18_27_51_Rich.jpg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 14

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

When in Germany ...

While I do prefer other cuisines over that of my home country, you just can't argue with piles of meat and beer :smile:

Haxe, Bratkartoffeln, Andechser Spezial (1L glass) and Schnapps. One happy meal ...

WP_20170307_17_47_13_Pro.jpg

Are you in Bavaria at the moment? I haven't been to Andechs (yet!) but I did drink all their beers in Nürnberg where there's a restaurant with only Kloster Andechs beers on tap.

And I agree that when in Germany it's best to eat German food. Sometimes I try something non German, it makes me mad. I have resolved never to eat something non German again when in Germany (though I don't mind Turkish food in case nowhere is open). I was in Cologne and had to try one of the typical dishes such as this one (at Reissdorf brewery's restaurant): fried blood sausage/pudding with apple sauce and mashed potatoes. Washed down with many a Kölsch of course if one was having lunch at Reissdorf brewery.

etUFcVO.jpg

sV6XnHt.jpg

• Like 5

We both wanted something lighter, so I decided to make home-made egg-foo-yong.  Besides eggs, it had char-siu, bean spouts, mushrooms, green onions and carrots.  Neither one of us much care for it with gravy, so there isn't any.  This was shot about half-way through the meal.

egg-fu-yong.jpg.b7ca3dee099f0d1cddf3675f1eb6964a.jpg

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 14

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Really tasty hanger steak.  Weighed in a little under than 2# and I thought it would be good for dinner tonight, for me and the wife, with enough leftovers for lunch tomorrow.  We keep nibbling so lunch is going to turn out pretty light.  

P1050486r.thumb.jpg.902e085caad5a3044a023734637e60b6.jpg

P1050487r.thumb.jpg.e9c2b33e0e926e80a506a0f815aac017.jpg

P1050488r.thumb.jpg.6d523e56304832d5faca372bcce685c0.jpg

• Like 18

I did not take pictures of the food I cooked tonight. My camera battery went dead. Like bury it in the back yard with a memorial services and organ music dead.  The main course was an Argentina beef stew called Carbonada.  At the Asian store last week I picked up some Chinese sausage and Asian brown rice (different from American brown rice) and cooked some of both. 

• Like 7

On 3/6/2017 at 9:06 PM, scubadoo97 said:

I was shooting for paper thin slices which is just easier on the mandolin.

Some years ago my DW gave me a mandolin. I never had much luck with it so it mostly just sat in its box. A few years ago she asked it she could use it in the tea kitchen at faire to slice cucumbers, a great use for it, so I gave it to her - along with a Kevlar glove. She is very faithful about using that glove. :smile:

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

After yesterday's disappointing dinner, I was due for a treat. I walked down to my fish market and got a pound of king crab legs. They had gone up from $19.99 to $22.99 a pound, so increase, but not as bad as I feared. Expensive, but I eat a lot of beans, eggs and cheap stuff that I like for everyday. I found ground chuck on sale for $1.99 a pound the other day and picked up a couple pounds. That will make 8 meals for me. I really needed a culinary pick-me-up too.

I also got a lemon, a tomato and an order of fried okra. I munched on the okra on the way home while it was hot from the fryer. When I got home, I stowed the crab legs back in the freezer and finished off the okra, then set a large pot to boil for a primi of angel hair pasta. After I ate that, I used the same pot to briefly boil one of the frozen, but already cooked legs. Two legs came out to 1.02 pounds. I had my crab with melted butter in my butter warmer and lemon wedges. It felt weird firing up one of the butter warmers just for me for the first time, but this was a fabulous meal, and just what I needed.

I had left the pot on a low simmer just in case I was still hungry enough to eat the other crab leg, but one was enough, as usual, so I have another treat for another day. I had iced and lightly sweetened black tea with more lemon to wash it down. All is right with the world again. :)

• Like 11

> ^ . . ^ <

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Some years ago my DW gave me a mandolin. I never had much luck with it so it mostly just sat in its box. A few years ago she asked it she could use it in the tea kitchen at faire to slice cucumbers, a great use for it, so I gave it to her - along with a Kevlar glove. She is very faithful about using that glove. :smile:

After cutting off the tip my thumb coring a modernist carrot I am a firm believer in the Kevlar glove.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

13 hours ago, BonVivant said:

Are you in Bavaria at the moment? I haven't been to Andechs (yet!) but I did drink all their beers in Nürnberg where there's a restaurant with only Kloster Andechs beers on tap.

And I agree that when in Germany it's best to eat German food. Sometimes I try something non German, it makes me mad. I have resolved never to eat something non German again when in Germany (though I don't mind Turkish food in case nowhere is open).

No, I am in Mannheim. There is a "chain" of these Andechser outlets, serving their beer and sometimes cheeses from the monastery. A good choice for a hearty dinner, so my usual pick for dinner.

I am very fond of Turkish food and honestly, my first dinner is always a mixed grill plate with Döner, lamb skewers (both Köfte and leg) and chicken (see below). Fresh salads and usually boiled grains (rice, bulgur). Fresh flatbread straight from the oven, for free. Only issue is that the ones in Mannheim do not serve alcohol and for me meat should go with beer (it's a German thing I guess ...).

WP_20170306_18_18_48_Rich.jpg

WP_20170306_18_23_21_Rich.jpg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 12