• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

I've been out of dinner-making action for a while. A combination of injuries received, work and travel commitment and laziness. I have made one or two meals, but repetitions of things I've posted before.

Tonight I tried something I've never done before. For many of you, this may be routine or, at least not unusual. But a whole new departure for me.

I started with something in my comfort zone. A plate of salmon sashimi. This time with sea salt and lemon juice as a change from the usual soy-wasabi route.

salmon.thumb.jpg.2ea68c7fb87933e53e2da258beca9cba.jpg

Then into enemy territory.

A pie. A chicken, leek and mushroom pie. Something I always enjoy but have never made.

pie1.thumb.jpg.f7a3651df8dcd5a73041506ac0521f81.jpg

With boiled new potatoes.

I was happy with how it looked, but to show you the filling in the interior (and to eat it), I had to mess the pie up.

pie2.thumb.jpg.7b0ad22735877b4243cf9e068415f04c.jpg

It wasn't perfect and I can think of many improvements to the filling for next time, but I was reasonably happy with my first venture. And so was my stomach.

liuzhou

liuzhou

I've been put of dinner-making action for a while. A combination of injuries received, work and travel commitment and laziness. I have made one or two, but repetitions of things I've posted before.

Tonight I tried something I've never done before. For many of you, this may be routine or, at least not unusual. But a whole new departure for me.

I started with something in my comfort zone. A plate of salmon sashimi. This time with sea salt and lemon juice as a change from the usual soy-wasabi route.

salmon.thumb.jpg.2ea68c7fb87933e53e2da258beca9cba.jpg

Then into enemy territory.

A pie. A chicken, leek and mushroom pie. Something I always enjoy but have never made.

pie1.thumb.jpg.f7a3651df8dcd5a73041506ac0521f81.jpg

With boiled new potatoes.

I was happy with how it looked, but to show you the filling in the interior (and to eat it), I had to mess the pie up.

pie2.thumb.jpg.7b0ad22735877b4243cf9e068415f04c.jpg

It wasn't perfect and I can think of many improvements to the filling for next time, but I was reasonably happy with my first venture. And so was my stomach.