• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElainaA

ElainaA

Kalpudding - a Swedish dish that I had never heard of, from a NYTimes recipe of a few weeks ago. Basically caramelized cabbage on top of a meatloaf (which is pretty much invisible in the picture). The cabbage is caramelized then poured over the uncooked meatloaf and they are baked together. What is not is the picture (because I almost forgot it) is the cranberry mostarda served with it. The recipe called for a sauce made from lingonberry preserves - not available in this rural area. I consulted Prof. Google and found that cranberries are a recommended substitute for lingonberries - and I happened to have one more jar of the mostarda I made last fall. The mostarda was really necessary. The meatloaf on its own was rather bland - it really needed more seasoning. Served with garlic mashed potatoes and asparagus.

DSC02147.thumb.jpg.5c85deb31225174ffea505c0e15d4991.jpg

ElainaA

ElainaA

Kalpudding - a Swedish dish that I had never heard of from a NYTimes recipe of a few weeks ago. Basically caramelized cabbage on top of a meatloaf (which is pretty much invisible in the picture). The cabbage is caramelized then poured over the uncooked meatloaf and they are baked together. What is not is the picture (because I almost forgot it) is the cranberry mostarda served with it. The recipe called for a sauce made from lingonberry preserves - not available in this rural area. I consulted Prof. Google and found that cranberries are a recommended substitute for lingonberries - and i happened to have one more jar of the mostarda I made last fall. The mostarda was really necessary. The meatloaf on its own was rather bland - it really needed more seasoning. Served with garlic mashed potatoes and asparagus.

DSC02147.thumb.jpg.5c85deb31225174ffea505c0e15d4991.jpg