• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Duvel

Duvel

13 hours ago, BonVivant said:

Are you in Bavaria at the moment? I haven't been to Andechs (yet!) but I did drink all their beers in Nürnberg where there's a restaurant with only Kloster Andechs beers on tap.

And I agree that when in Germany it's best to eat German food. Sometimes I try something non German, it makes me mad. I have resolved never to eat something non German again when in Germany (though I don't mind Turkish food in case nowhere is open).

No, I am in Mannheim. There is a "chain" of these Andechser outlets, serving their beer and sometimes cheeses from the monastery. A good choice for a hearty dinner, so my usual pick for dinner.

I am very fond of Turkish food and honestly, my first dinner is always a mixed grill plate with Döner, lamb skewers (both Köfte and leg) and chicken (see below). Fresh salads and usually boiled grains (rice, bulgur). Fresh flatbread straight from the oven, for free. Only issue is that the ones in Mannheim do not serve alcohol and for me meat should go with beer (it's a German thing I guess ...).

WP_20170306_18_18_48_Rich.jpg

WP_20170306_18_23_21_Rich.jpg

Duvel

Duvel

9 hours ago, BonVivant said:

Are you in Bavaria at the moment? I haven't been to Andechs (yet!) but I did drink all their beers in Nürnberg where there's a restaurant with only Kloster Andechs beers on tap.

And I agree that when in Germany it's best to eat German food. Sometimes I try something non German, it makes me mad. I have resolved never to eat something non German again when in Germany (though I don't mind Turkish food in case nowhere is open).

No, I am in Mannheim. There is a "chain" of these Andechser outlets, serving their beer and sometimes cheeses from the monastery. A good choice for a hearty dinner, so my usual choice for dinner.

I am very fond of Turkish food and honestly, my first dinner is always a mixed grill plate with Döner, lamb skewers (both Köfte and leg) and chicken (see below). Fresh salads and usually boiled grains (rice, bulgur). Fresh flatbread straight from the over, forfree. Only issue is that the ones in Mannheim do not serve alcohol and for me meat should go with beer (it's a German thing I guess ...).

WP_20170306_18_18_48_Rich.jpg

WP_20170306_18_23_21_Rich.jpg