• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2017 releases

heidih

Nice discussion of 2017 books with Evan Kleiman and Celia Sack, owner of Omnivore Books in San Francisco, on the recent episode of Evan's Good Food podcast, including several titles I hadn't heard much about elsewhere.

You can listen to the segment or skim through the highlights at this link.

• Thanks 1

I've started reading Tasting Georgia.  Beautiful book.  Wish that I could visit there.

http://amzn.com/1566560594

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

12 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Link doesn't work.

Very true, sorry about that...

Tasting Georgia: a Food and Wine Journey in the Caucasus

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted link to be Amazon-friendly (log)

On 12/7/2017 at 9:22 AM, ElsieD said:

Anyone else buy Bravetart by Stella Parks?

I got my copy from the local indie bookstore the day it came out. Love the book. Everything I've made from it has worked perfectly.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

• 2 weeks later...

While it's yet 2017...

As I'd mentioned I've been much enjoying* Tasting Georgia, which led me look for other Georgian cookbooks.  Tonight I ordered Supra -- A feast of Georgian cooking by Tiko Tuskadze, though sadly it shan't arrive till after the new year.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1911216163/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

*enjoying, not yet cooking from, though I am assembling ingredients and tools.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

While it's yet 2017...

As I'd mentioned I've been much enjoying* Tasting Georgia, which led me look for other Georgian cookbooks.  Tonight I ordered Supra -- A feast of Georgian cooking by Tiko Tuskadze, though sadly it shan't arrive till after the new year.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1911216163/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

*enjoying, not yet cooking from, though I am assembling ingredients and tools.

Thanks. I was very interested in Tasting Georgia but it is not available as a Kindle edition and that is a dealbreaker. Supra is available in that format and very reasonably priced. I shall be interested to see what you think when (or if) you start cooking from it.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, Anna N said:

Thanks. I was very interested in Tasting Georgia but it is not available as a Kindle edition and that is a dealbreaker. Supra is available in that format and very reasonably priced. I shall be interested to see what you think when (or if) you start cooking from it.

Modernist Bread does not fit on my iPad either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 5:24 AM, Anna N said:

Life is never simple.  Supra is an expat cooking family recipes in London.  Tasting Georgia is a foreigner going around Georgia collecting recipes sort of like a trans Caucasian @Wolfert

Supra is heavy on recipes and a lot of them seem worth making.  Compared with Tasting Georgia the binding is poor and the print is small.  Tasting Georgia is a lot about history, geography, and wine.  I like wine.  It is a beautiful book.

Supra has recipes arranged by ingredient, Tasting Georgia has recipes arranged by region.  Supra gets extra points for temperatures in Fahrenheit and Celsius, and weights in grams and ounces.  Though Tasting Georgia has elevations in both feet and meters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I may yet spring for Supra if only to read it for the sake of interest. I already know what a challenge it is to source some of the ingredients. You have done well with the sources that are available to you in the US but they are not  available to me in Canada.  In the meantime I will enjoy what you are doing from the book.  Thanks for the summaries. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I couldn't find a mention of the Baker's Appendix so I thought I'd give this little book, which has earned a spot on my counter, a shout-out.

IMG_6807.thumb.jpg.b4fe20dae9b0ffd123bb72d45c6db0e9.jpg

It contains cup/spoon to gram conversions for ingredients, conversions for oven temps, volume charts for baking pans, high altitude adjustments, ingredient substitutions.  All the info you'd find in the appendices of various cookbooks, combined into one small volume.

All of that info is readily available online but there are times when I find it easier to check the book rather than fiddle with my phone or go to the computer.  I used to keep some printouts around but this is tidier.  

It also includes a few basic baking recipes. That's not what drew me to the book, but I can see it being handy to use for things like browned butter, crumb topping, glazes and frostings.

I think it would make a great little gift, maybe combined with a few utensils, for a new cook or baker.  It's available as an ebook, although to me, the value is to have the info handy WITHOUT needing to refer to a device.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I read The Baker's Appendix but I wasn't drawn to buy a copy for myself.  Most useful though was the conversion for different size pans.

I am very tempted because I’m constantly looking up conversion amounts. I have a few tables that I have copied at various times but it would be nice to have everything together. 

My 2004 eG Blog

35 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I am very tempted because I’m constantly looking up conversion amounts. I have a few tables that I have copied at various times but it would be nice to have everything together. 

A small nit - there's a table of contents but no index of specific ingredients so when looking for a cup to gram conversion for mayonnaise, I found it in the "Various Mix-Ins" section, rather than in the "Fats" section where I was looking. When I first got the book, it did feel like I was flipping pages a lot but now that I'm familiar with the organization, I can find what I need quickly.

• Like 1

My favorite book or 2017, hands down, is Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat by Samin Nosrat.

It's just a great book, a great resource to have. Nosrat writes so well, she's so engaging without sounding pretentious, and most importantly, she's useful. She's a seasoned chef that's worked under Alice Water's at Chez Panisse, so she knows her stuff. 

There's not a lot of recipes and the recipes she includes are tried-and-true recipes that highlight her techniques. But even a jaded homecook as myself, whose seen a hundred recipes for Caesar salad, was excited to try her recipes just to give her newly-read techniques a try.

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted link to be Amazon-friendly (log)
  • Like 2