• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2017 releases

heidih

On 08/03/2017 at 2:24 AM, heidih said:

I am a long time follower of the author and think this will be a winner!

Me, too.

Robyn's "Eating Asia" blog is by far my favourite food blog, and partner Dave's photographs are always stunning. Her writing is always crystal clear, relaxed but authoritative.

I'll be buying it.

(Note: I have no connection with the author than a couple of very brief online conversatatons and a few comments on each other's twitter feeds. This is a genuine recommendation.

Just leave the cash in the usual place, Robyn. Remember used notes only!
)

Edited by liuzhou
typos (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

I thought I'd read that the publication date had been pushed back to next fall?

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/148422-modernist-cuisine-the-art-and-science-of-bread/?do=findComment&comment=2095867

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 minute ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I thought I'd read that the publication date had been pushed back to next fall?

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/148422-modernist-cuisine-the-art-and-science-of-bread/?do=findComment&comment=2095867

They need to tell Amazon, then.

Deborah Madison has a new book coming out later this month, In My Kitchenir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=039957888. It was recently reviewed in the LA Times here.

I really like her books and have several.  Savory Way and The Greens Cookbook are my favorites.  After that, and the big tomes like Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, they started to get a bit repetitious.  The subtitle of this new one, "A Collection of New and Favorite Vegetarian Recipes," suggests that it may have a mix of old and new. 

I wasn't going to shell out until I could get a look at it, but I see the price on Amazon is $16.79 (Kindle $16.99) which is affordable so I may cave.  Or not.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

heidih -- thanks so much for the kind words, and the shout-out here.

liuzhou -- your check is in the mail. ;)

Okanagancook -- I hope we'll find a Canadian publisher, but we won't know for some time. I don't know if Book

Depository ships to Canada or not but it offers deep discounts.

In regards to how 'Istanbul and Beyond' will compare to Somer's book, which I have and I love ...

my book focuses on regional Turkish cuisines. Dishes are divided into chapters focusing on regions instead of dish types.

In a way I am arguing that there is no such thing as 'Turkish food' because the country's incredibly diverse landscapes, along with history and migration, have

given rise to a mosaic of culinary regions whose foods are highly localized (it's no exaggeration to say that you may find a dish

in village A that the residents of village B, just 50 kilometres away, have never heard of).
I start in Istanbul to orient the reader, and then in the following 6 chapters cover (not comprehensively) Turkey's lesser-visited eastern half.
It's not a culinary travelogue but a look at some local ingredients (and how they are made) and culinary customs, plus a collection of recipes from home and

lokanta cooks, food producers and farmers, fishermen and market vendors that my husband, who photographed the book, and I spent time

with during the 16 months we devoted to research. Many recipes will be unfamiliar to most north Americans.
I hope that readers will be excited to discover these bits of eastern Turkey that I visit, some of which are not now safe to travel in (we were lucky in timing). But

mostly I hope that they find the food as interesting and delicious as I and my husband do. 
Well, that's long-winded. But get me started and I can talk (write) about Turkey, and Turkish food, forever....
Cheers.

Edited by RobynE (log)
  • Like 6

On March 8, 2017 at 0:54 PM, Okanagancook said:

$50 Canadian on pre-order. Yikes. 

It seems to have dropped to $40 Cdn. Just saying. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Six Seasons: A New Way with Vegetablesir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=157965631 and On Vegetables: Modern Recipes for the Home Kitchenir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=071487390 are both recent releases on my radar screen.  Hmmmm... what to do???

Don't you have critters to care for or something?  :D   The second link doesn't do it for me especially since it doesn't appear to be available in Kindle format and I've never taken to the Phaidon way with books. Six Seasons, on the other hand, has made it as far as my wish list.  I hesitate only because when you live this far north you tend to get awfully put off by discussions of seasonality.  We have two seasons here: cold and snowy or hot and steamy.  I don't deny that we do get some lovely produce here for a very short time and then we seem to spend an awfully long time looking at storage apples and waxed rutabagas.   Just saying.  

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

17 hours ago, Anna N said:

Don't you have critters to care for or something?  :D   The second link doesn't do it for me especially since it doesn't appear to be available in Kindle format and I've never taken to the Phaidon way with books. Six Seasons, on the other hand, has made it as far as my wish list.  I hesitate only because when you live this far north you tend to get awfully put off by discussions of seasonality.  We have two seasons here: cold and snowy or hot and steamy.  I don't deny that we do get some lovely produce here for a very short time and then we seem to spend an awfully long time looking at storage apples and waxed rutabagas.   Just saying.  

Caved. :o

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

I will also be glad to read thoughts on the "above" mentioned vegetables books by Fox and Mcfadden, looking for a new purchase and really want to order On vegetables..

Is it really interesting and inspiring in dishes and technique ? Am looking for the more complicated books, prefferebly with strong use of "flavor concentration" tools like dehydrator, sous vide and.. 

that's it i think :-) Centrifuges are too much i guess.. Any other good chef books lately that do use those tools, especially the dehydrator ? Thx..  

1 minute ago, oferl said:

I will also be glad to read thoughts on the "above" mentioned vegetables books by Fox and Mcfadden, looking for a new purchase and really want to order On vegetables..

Is it really interesting and inspiring in dishes and technique ? Am looking for the more complicated books, prefferebly with strong use of "flavor concentration" tools like dehydrator, sous vide and.. 

that's it i think :-) Centrifuges are too much i guess.. Any other good chef books lately that do use those tools, especially the dehydrator ? Thx..  

Six Seasons would certainly not meet your needs. It offers ways of getting the very best out of the very freshest ingredients without any fancy gadgetry or "cheffy" techniques.   And I own or have owned most gadgets.   They have their place in the kitchen but just not in this particular cookbook.  

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks, didn't think it would be relevant, but on vegetables might be a different story, at least in one recipe sample i saw a dehydrator mentioned "-) Regarding "cheffy", not sure what is sous vide's 

status nowdays, seems used by many at home, anyways i know it is a very "meaty" focused machine in base but preffer to find interesting ideas for vegi use, so again, if there are interesting sources

and books to explore for that matter, would be happy to get info :-) 

3 hours ago, oferl said:

Thanks, didn't think it would be relevant, but on vegetables might be a different story, at least in one recipe sample i saw a dehydrator mentioned "-) Regarding "cheffy", not sure what is sous vide's 

status nowdays, seems used by many at home, anyways i know it is a very "meaty" focused machine in base but preffer to find interesting ideas for vegi use, so again, if there are interesting sources

and books to explore for that matter, would be happy to get info :-) 

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/148135-modernist-cuisine-at-home-sous-vide-vegetables/

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On May 9, 2017 at 1:03 PM, Anna N said:

Caved. :o

On the whole I am really, really into this book (Six Seasons) but the huge caveat is that there are no live links in the index of the Kindle version. This means that you must use the search feature.   It is a damned nuisance and in a lesser book might be a deal breaker.  On the other hand most of the recipes rely on ingredients that almost anyone who reads and uses eG will find in their cupboards or fridges. I have just stocked up on some fresh produce and hope to be posting some of the recipes in the appropriate (or, knowing me - inappropriate) meal threads soon. 

Edited by Anna N
To add the title of the book for clarity (log)
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, oferl said:

I have only looked at "On Vegetables" in the bookstore but there is no doubt that I will buy it soon as it is written by Fox which has shown with Ubuntu years ago (some of the best meals for us) that he is very unique in creating vegetable-based dishes using unique flavors, thoughts, ideas. It is definitely not your next "standard" vegetable book