• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liamsaunt

liamsaunt

remove extra photo

We were still really tired yesterday, so did not do too much.  The house is comfortable with a pool and views, so it was easy to just stay here and relax for most of the day.  We did get out in the afternoon and went to the beach.  If you do not get to the beach in the morning on Sundays in the summer, parking at the sandy ones can be limited to non existent, so we just drove out to one of the furthest ones, Francis, parked at the trailhead, and hiked in about 1/2 mile to the beach.  Easier than fighting for a parking spot.   The rocky side of the beach is always uncrowded even if the sandy part is more crowded

francis.thumb.jpg.f39d815eaba06834a8033aea7c20242a.jpg

For years, we would have this beach to ourselves, but the secret of St. John is definitely out.  I am not really complaining (at least not here haha).  I am sure people complained when my husband and I showed up for the first time in 2003. 

Last night we had dinner at Extra VIrgin Bistro.  This restaurant, along with a few others on the island, recently went to a prix fixe format.  Here's the menu.  I remembered to take a picture of the cocktail menu tonight, but my husband did not order one because he did the wine pairing with his food.

evbc.thumb.jpg.3c34f9b9a237f32931d380823ffd72c3.jpg

evb1.thumb.jpg.cf0ee36707abda3348757edd602f151e.jpg

evb2.thumb.jpg.d4e143ce15e15cd017a5f2225bbc886b.jpg

I decided to try and order two lighter dishes because I knew I wanted the mushroom pappardelle for my second course, and having had it before, I knew it was incredibly rich.   I chose the burrata salad for my first course.  I was so happy to have a salad, but was not expecting such a huge piece of cheese!  I ate about half because I had to pace myself.  I saw a lot of other tables ordering this.  

burrata.thumb.jpg.c469fea9544245dc8b4426060b6cb031.jpg

Husband went with the other popular starter, fried calamari

calamari.thumb.jpg.126fe32318b3b795f73b813c38747331.jpg

I tried it and thought the oil they fried it in tasted a little old, but he did not notice that taste.  Maybe I was just really not in the mood for fried food.

Next course we both got the pappardelle.  It was so delicious.  The fried golden beet garnish really made the dish.  We both finished this course.

evbp.thumb.jpg.e1103cec8720a93cdbc40622d46da5a7.jpg

Third course, I got the catch of the day, which was mahi mahi.  This was perfectly cooked (you know how mahi gets dry if you cook it too much), the coconut beet puree made a delicious sauce for the fish, and I really loved the pickled cabbage and apple salad.  

125412845_evbmahi.thumb.jpg.9a83f1a2636bf57c1a389c4c54ddae8f.jpg

Husband got the shrimp and langoustino risotto.  I think it was a bit too rich after the pasta.  He said it was delicious but he could not finish it.  He tried to get me to try it but I did not want any.

evbl.thumb.jpg.a2130d275088f2ea9d4a90fdb2f7b19a.jpg 

We were both way too full to even think about dessert and it was not included in the prix fixe anyway so there was no pressure to order one.  

Overall I liked my meal more than my husband liked his, but we agreed that we probably would go back on a future visit.  

liamsaunt

liamsaunt

remove extra photo

We were still really tired yesterday, so did not do too much.  The house is comfortable with a pool and views, so it was easy to just stay here and relax for most of the day.  We did get out in the afternoon and went to the beach.  If you do not get to the beach in the morning on Sundays in the summer, parking at the sandy ones can be limited to non existent, so we just drove out to one of the furthest ones, Francis, parked at the trailhead, and hiked in about 1/2 mile to the beach.  Easier than fighting for a parking spot.   The rocky side of the beach is always uncrowded even if the sandy part is more crowded

For years, we would have this beach to ourselves, but the secret of St. John is definitely out.  I am not really complaining (at least not here haha).  I am sure people complained when my husband and I showed up for the first time in 2003. 

Last night we had dinner at Extra VIrgin Bistro.  This restaurant, along with a few others on the island, recently went to a prix fixe format.  Here's the menu.  I remembered to take a picture of the cocktail menu tonight, but my husband did not order one because he did the wine pairing with his food.

I decided to try and order two lighter dishes because I knew I wanted the mushroom pappardelle for my second course, and having had it before, I knew it was incredibly rich.   I chose the burrata salad for my first course.  I was so happy to have a salad, but was not expecting such a huge piece of cheese!  I ate about half because I had to pace myself.  I saw a lot of other tables ordering this.  

I tried it and thought the oil they fried it in tasted a little old, but he did not notice that taste.  Maybe I was just really not in the mood for fried food.

Next course we both got the pappardelle.  It was so delicious.  The fried golden beet garnish really made the dish.  We both finished this course.

Third course, I got the catch of the day, which was mahi mahi.  This was perfectly cooked (you know how mahi gets dry if you cook it too much), the coconut beet puree made a delicious sauce for the fish, and I really loved the pickled cabbage and apple salad.  

Husband got the shrimp and langoustino risotto.  I think it was a bit too rich after the pasta.  He said it was delicious but he could not finish it.  He tried to get me to try it but I did not want any.

We were both way too full to even think about dessert and it was not included in the prix fixe anyway so there was no pressure to order one.  

Overall I liked my meal more than my husband liked his, but we agreed that we probably would go back on a future visit.  

psb.jpg

liamsaunt

liamsaunt

psb.jpg