• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liamsaunt

liamsaunt

delete extra photos

On 8/8/2021 at 10:43 AM, heidih said:

I like the idea of the blackened mahi mahi bites. Any idea what the candied jalapeno salsa was like, or maybe how made?  Is the palm tree looking thing dead center last photo a sculpture? Intriguing.

I did not taste the jalapeño salsa, but my brother said it tasted very similar to a candied jalapeño that was in the most recent issue of Cook's Country magazine, if that helps.  I get that magazine, but have not read that recipe yet so cannot say exactly what is in it.  They keep their recipes behind a paywall and I refuse to pay for both online and print access.  It's one or the other!

Yes, the metal thing is a palm sculpture.  The people that own this house are from South Carolina so we are assuming it is the palmetto that is their state's symbol, though maybe it is supposed to be a local palm.  Not sure.  Here is a better picture of the house and pool.  

yelow.thumb.jpg.e094da4da0f4378f385db08e823c98f1.jpg

This photo shows half of the house.  The other half is a similar size.  The pod closest to the pool has a covered lounging patio and TV area that we have not used, plus laundry, a closet of pool toys and a half bath.  The upstairs is an owner's suite that is locked off to us.  The far pod contains four en suite bedrooms.  The other half of the house is the covered kitchen and dining area I already showed, the great room, another bath, some balconies, and two more en suite bedrooms.  The owner REALLY likes color.  Everything is so bright.  The kitchen has purple granite!  I have never seen that before, and in fact did not even know it existed!  I had to google it.  

Yesterday we got a late start thanks to the bachelor brothers, who seem to be shaping this trip to their style (stay up late, sleep late), which is not my style (get up early and go to bed early).  I was mad for a while but have just let it go and am now going with the flow.  They are not invited on our next four planned vacations, so I will get to do what I want then.  We went back to Francis because all of the other beaches had no parking (the island is crazy crowded).  We found an isolated spot but had to set up in a rocky area.  I went looking for sea glass with some success.

84701782_francismonday.thumb.jpg.9ea6337823ff54a8e20286beb0f10776.jpg

We met some island donkeys on the way back to the Jeeps.

donkey.thumb.jpg.83ffb04f099cb1371f19d49466157108.jpg

See those lumpy deposits on the donkey's neck and back?  That's fat from tourists feeding them junk food.  This donkey is not too bad but some of them are really misshapen.  There are notices everywhere not to feed them, but people do it anyway to get good photos for instagram.  Grumble.

After the beach we went to a late lunch at High Tide. A lot of places are closed on Mondays so we had to repeat.  We got more conch fritters, and my niece had a sandwich with brie and mango chutney.  No pictures of those.  My sister and brother both chose the fish and chips made with mahi mahi

fishandchipshightide.thumb.jpg.77a254c870f8340ae07aee34854e7ca7.jpg

I had the shrimp tacos

shrimptacoshightide.thumb.jpg.c6dc390e77f43b21002ec64314310460.jpg

My husband got the mahi mahi tacos and then we swapped out with each other so we each had one of each. 

mahitacoshghtide.thumb.jpg.5410db2e549c0c3345a9f5f541637bb5.jpg

My brother in law chose the blackened mahi mahi sandwich.  It was a huge portion.

mahisandwichhightide.thumb.jpg.4ae35ae3937293d73f6c0c7081962d11.jpg

Today we were supposed to head over to the far side of the island to have lunch at my favorite island restaurant, Miss ouch's.  They have the best conch fritters and grouper reubens.  However, weather is interfering with our plans.  It is actually really nice outside right now, albeit a bit cloudy, but a tropical depression is supposed to hit here in a couple of hours.  There are torrential rains, potential mudslides and rockslides predicted, so we are staying put, unless by some miracle the forecast changes.  My husband and I have been on island for tropical depressions before, and it is usually not pretty.  We will see.

yellow2.thumb.jpg.9097660e8f2bd6aaac8569d63004ea3d.jpg

donkey.jpg

yelow.jpg

francis monday.jpg

liamsaunt

liamsaunt

On 8/8/2021 at 10:43 AM, heidih said:

I like the idea of the blackened mahi mahi bites. Any idea what the candied jalapeno salsa was like, or maybe how made?  Is the palm tree looking thing dead center last photo a sculpture? Intriguing.

I did not taste the jalapeño salsa, but my brother said it tasted very similar to a candied jalapeño that was in the most recent issue of Cook's Country magazine, if that helps.  I get that magazine, but have not read that recipe yet so cannot say exactly what is in it.  They keep their recipes behind a paywall and I refuse to pay for both online and print access.  It's one or the other!

Yes, the metal thing is a palm sculpture.  The people that own this house are from South Carolina so we are assuming it is the palmetto that is their state's symbol, though maybe it is supposed to be a local palm.  Not sure.  Here is a better picture of the house and pool.  

yelow.thumb.jpg.e094da4da0f4378f385db08e823c98f1.jpg

This photo shows half of the house.  The other half is a similar size.  The pod closest to the pool has a covered lounging patio and TV area that we have not used, plus laundry, a closet of pool toys and a half bath.  The upstairs is an owner's suite that is locked off to us.  The far pod contains four en suite bedrooms.  The other half of the house is the covered kitchen and dining area I already showed, the great room, another bath, some balconies, and two more en suite bedrooms.  The owner REALLY likes color.  Everything is so bright.  The kitchen has purple granite!  I have never seen that before, and in fact did not even know it existed!  I had to google it.  

Yesterday we got a late start thanks to the bachelor brothers, who seem to be shaping this trip to their style (stay up late, sleep late), which is not my style (get up early and go to bed early).  I was mad for a while but have just let it go and am now going with the flow.  They are not invited on our next four planned vacations, so I will get to do what I want then.  We went back to Francis because all of the other beaches had no parking (the island is crazy crowded).  We found an isolated spot but had to set up in a rocky area.  I went looking for sea glass with some success.

84701782_francismonday.thumb.jpg.9ea6337823ff54a8e20286beb0f10776.jpg

We met some island donkeys on the way back to the Jeeps.

donkey.thumb.jpg.83ffb04f099cb1371f19d49466157108.jpg

See those lumpy deposits on the donkey's neck and back?  That's fat from tourists feeding them junk food.  This donkey is not too bad but some of them are really misshapen.  There are notices everywhere not to feed them, but people do it anyway to get good photos for instagram.  Grumble.

After the beach we went to a late lunch at High Tide. A lot of places are closed on Mondays so we had to repeat.  We got more conch fritters, and my niece had a sandwich with brie and mango chutney.  No pictures of those.  My sister and brother both chose the fish and chips made with mahi mahi

fishandchipshightide.thumb.jpg.77a254c870f8340ae07aee34854e7ca7.jpg

I had the shrimp tacos

shrimptacoshightide.thumb.jpg.c6dc390e77f43b21002ec64314310460.jpg

My husband got the mahi mahi tacos and then we swapped out with each other so we each had one of each. 

mahitacoshghtide.thumb.jpg.5410db2e549c0c3345a9f5f541637bb5.jpg

My brother in law chose the blackened mahi mahi sandwich.  It was a huge portion.

mahisandwichhightide.thumb.jpg.4ae35ae3937293d73f6c0c7081962d11.jpg

Today we were supposed to head over to the far side of the island to have lunch at my favorite island restaurant, Miss ouch's.  They have the best conch fritters and grouper reubens.  However, weather is interfering with our plans.  It is actually really nice outside right now, albeit a bit cloudy, but a tropical depression is supposed to hit here in a couple of hours.  There are torrential rains, potential mudslides and rockslides predicted, so we are staying put, unless by some miracle the forecast changes.  My husband and I have been on island for tropical depressions before, and it is usually not pretty.  We will see.

yellow2.thumb.jpg.9097660e8f2bd6aaac8569d63004ea3d.jpg

donkey.jpg

yelow.jpg

francis monday.jpg