• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baguettes break when I split them

Johntodd

Hi!  I'm making Subway sandwiches at home now.  Except mine have flavor and nutrition.  (/rimshot!)

But when I split my baguettes lengthwise, they won't lay down flat for the broiler.  If I force them, then they tear at the "hinge".  If I cut shallower so the hinge is thicker, then they rip and tear and won't lay flat.  The bread at Subway doesn't seem to have this problem, they cut'em, spread'em, cheese'em, and broil them with no problems.

Here is my recipe:

2 cups water (Temp. 110-115 degrees F.)

4 teaspoons sugar

8 teaspoons vegetable oil

2 teaspoons salt

5 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour (662 grams)

4 1⁄2 teaspoons bread machine yeast

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

-John

• Like 1

I'm merely a novice at this;  what's the diff?

And if anybody wants to throw me a link to a recipe, I'm all for it.  My desire to make good food my family loves overshadows my big, fatheaded ego.  ;)

I think there is some confusion here between baguettes and baguette-shaped rolls. I can occasionally buy something called "submarine rolls".  They are smaller and much less crusty than baguettes. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Been years since I ate at a Subway... but don't they cut a triangular wedge out of the top of the roll, rather than count on  a hinged book-cover kind of opening for their rolls?  They seem to have solved your problem by engineering around it.

• Like 2

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Look for a bread where the crust is rubbed in oil, or egg washed. (a little oil in the formula helps, too)  Also, as the bread is cooling, when it is almost cool, put it in a plastic bag or seal it in some sort of plastic/metal container to get rid of crunchiness in the crust.

HERE's a formula from KA. I have never made it, I have no idea how good it is. Personally, I'd add a tablespoon of olive oil to the second set of ingredients. (and bag the loaves when they are still a tiny bit warm)

• Like 1

After a very disappointing experience with Subway today, I can understand and applaud your effort to make them at home @Johntodd. Sorry I can't offer any advice on the bread making aspect, but I can buy bread at the grocery store that's better than what was used in my sandwich today. I'm almost sure your loaves could not have been worse. Good luck with your project.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

C'mon now, Subway is a legit business.  This is just their take on the sub/hoagie/grinder type sandwich.

We can make ours however we want.  If we like it, then it is good.

Even if that means making a sub out of bologna that was marinated overnight in lime koolaid!  If you like it, eat it.  (please don't offer me any of that.)

-John

Edited by Johntodd (log)

Save your crusty baguettes for bahn mi sandwiches.

• Like 5

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Make your baguettes as normal but whilst still "just" warm after baking, put them in a plastic box with sealable lid or plastic bag with a clothes peg to seal it. They will be soft when they have cooled and easy to cut and layer with the filling of your choice. I suspect the Subway baguettes will contain a good amount of chemical induces softness and preservatives for "longevity" of the bread, but not necessarily the consumer! I have previously seen "fresh" baguettes being delivered to JFK (if my memory serves me) airport - all delivered in sealed plastic boxes and about 10 to a box. They were then sticking them in their hot oven for about 2 minutes and sold as "freshly baked".

• Like 3

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

@JohnT; this retains moisture, right?  And that's why they stay soft?

Will try tonight!  Home-made McRibs on the menu, will notify tomorrow after I wake up from passing out from overindulgence and run-on sentences.

Thanks!

-John

• Like 1

Yes, it helps maintain the moisture and re-introduces it to the crisp crust, which will equalise and produce a soft bread throughout. The same applies to a Portuguese Roll, which forms a hardened crust which softens if stored in a plastic bag or sealed container - if left in a display basket or bin in a shop (or your home), the bread will remain crisp on the crust and get worse as it stalles. 

• Like 3

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

• 5 weeks later...

@JohnT; thus the mystery is solved!

I used your suggestion, and it was just the trick,  Now I can hinge those baguettes back and forth for days before they break.  OK, not really.

But this worked perfectly for my needs.

Thanks, and thanks again!

-Johntodd

• Like 2