• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Storing chocolate in greaseproof paper - is that crazy?

a_pinch_of

Hi all

This is my first post. I will admit to stalking you all for a long time while getting up the nerve to actually post something. You are all so amazing, talented and knowledgable and I'm such a newbie at chocolate. Anyway I need some serious advice. I have been approached by a lady who does gift baskets for Real Estate Agents to give to new home buyers. Her baskets are very upmarket and she wants to put some of my chocolate bars in them. This is great but she's being super picky (pedantic) about the packaging and doesn't want them in the food grade cello that I normally package my bars in. She wants them wrapped in black greaseproof paper (don't even know where to get that for a start!). But my question is what would that do to the shelf/storage life. I am using 70% dark Callebaut with freeze dried fruits, nuts and spices in a simple bar. I appreciate any advice you could give me on this as I have to get back to her with an answer in the next couple of days.

Welcome @a_pinch_of. Glad you have moved from stalking to posting!

I think I would initially still wrap my bars in the food grade cello, then wrap that in the greaseproof paper. That way the shelf life would not change from what you get now. I'd explain to her that because you are using freeze dried fruits that you need to successfully exclude as much air as possible and the cello will help with that.

In the US - what is known as greaseproof paper in the UK is usually called glassine paper. Here is one vendor online who has black sheets of glassine. 

Where are you located? Are you aware there is one spot left in the eG Chocolate and Confection Workshop in May in Vegas? 

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, keychris said:

"The customer is always right" :D

True... but years in the restaurant and catering business has taught me to be less embracing of that idea than I once was. Sometimes a customer reaches a level where they're just plain ol' wrong. Their money be damned.

But this isn't that type of situation at all. If she's wanting the product for a specific purpose with a specific look, that's well within reason to request it. Being unable to provide it, if that turns out to be the case, is perfectly reasonable from the business end. This is just normal business negotiation stuff.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

9 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

In the US - what is known as greaseproof paper in the UK is usually called glassine paper. Here is one vendor online who has black sheets of glassine. 

Just wanted to say that I ordered from that site, paying through Paypal, and I never heard a word from them  or received an answer from a phone call (or received the glassine sheets). I had to go through the process of getting my payment back. I may be wrong, but I concluded that they are out of business. I purchased a substantial amount of glassine from fancyflours.com, but they no longer sell the sheets (they still have some bags, though not in black).

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

Just wanted to say that I ordered from that site, paying through Paypal, and I never heard a word from them  or received an answer from a phone call (or received the glassine sheets). I had to go through the process of getting my payment back. I may be wrong, but I concluded that they are out of business. I purchased a substantial amount of glassine from fancyflours.com, but they no longer sell the sheets (they still have some bags, though not in black).

Good to know before putting in an order!

23 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Where are you located? Are you aware there is one spot left in the eG Chocolate and Confection Workshop in May in Vegas? 

Unfortunately Kerry I'm in Australia so it's a bit far to travel. And thanks for your suggestion. I don't think she'll go for it though because she's anti plastic of any kind.

14 hours ago, Jim D. said:

Thanks for that feedback. I have Googled for black greaseproof paper here in Australia and it doesn't seem to exist. If we do go ahead I may have to order from the US and charge her a little bit extra to cover costs.

50 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

How about foil?  Not plastic, still keeps the chocolate fresh. 

I suggested that but she WANTS black greaseproof paper. We are in discussion now about keeping in cello and then wrapping in paper. I'll see how that goes.

Thanks for your help

• Like 1

Thank you everyone. We are close to a compromise I think. She is considering the option of keeping the cello and then wrapping in greaseproof paper - thanks very much for that suggestion @Kerry Beal. I hadn't even thought of that :/. Still looking for that black greaseproof paper though so if anyone in Australia has any suggested possible suppliers I'd love to hear them.

p.s. this is my first wholesale sale so I'm super excited

p.p.s. now I've been brave enough to make my first post, you'll see me here again!

Edited by a_pinch_of
question removed (log)
  • Like 2

Hi @a_pinch_of - welcome!  May I ask why you still need to use grease proof paper (or glassine paper) if the chocolate will be cello-wrapped to protect it from the elements?  That is, could you use a more easily available black-colored paper to wrap around the cello bars?  Construction paper, scrapbooking/craft paper, or even a good quality wrapping paper might fit the bill and be more readily available to boot.

• Like 2

I'm with Ani - if she goes for the cello inside then maybe just a really classy black paper outside - other than that - http://www.floristsupplies.com.au/showProduct/Wrappings/Paper/PAGLASG

• Like 2

13 hours ago, pastryani said:

Hi @a_pinch_of - welcome!  May I ask why you still need to use grease proof paper (or glassine paper) if the chocolate will be cello-wrapped to protect it from the elements?  That is, could you use a more easily available black-colored paper to wrap around the cello bars?  Construction paper, scrapbooking/craft paper, or even a good quality wrapping paper might fit the bill and be more readily available to boot.

Of course. Thank you for that. I'm glad I came here because you are all full of wonderful ideas and suggestions.

15 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Your next challenge is going to be folding the glassine and then getting a sticker to actually stick to it to hold it closed!

No longer my problem @Kerry Beal. She has decided to just buy my chocolate bars in plain cello bags and pack them herself - with her own branding. This is a win for me because I get the sales without the extra headache of worrying about paper and packaging. And if it doesn't work it wont reflect badly on me or my brand. I have passed on the advice given to me here and she's taking it all into consideration.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, a_pinch_of said:

No longer my problem @Kerry Beal. She has decided to just buy my chocolate bars in plain cello bags and pack them herself - with her own branding. This is a win for me because I get the sales without the extra headache of worrying about paper and packaging. And if it doesn't work it wont reflect badly on me or my brand. I have passed on the advice given to me here and she's taking it all into consideration.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

Well done!

• Like 1