• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Knife Use When Cutting Sandwiches

cutter

May need a bit of a kitchen reno.....

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

This is the knife you need:

Maguro-Hands.jpg.398404e17c3b7f79b749578bf5b3f8cf.jpg

The correct technique is to face away from the cutting board, throw the sandwich in an arc over your shoulder, then spin and bisect the sandwich in midair before it lands on the plate. 

The whole point of mustard or mayo is to hold the sandwich together in the air (the Japanese word for mayo translates literally to "warrior glue"). 

[photo by Rich Legg, http://leggnet.com/2013/12/hands-of-a-maguro-bocho-master.html]

Edited by paulraphael (log)
  • Like 5

Notes from the underbelly

20 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

The correct technique is to face away from the cutting board, throw the sandwich in an arc over your shoulder, then spin and bisect the sandwich in midair before it lands on the plate. 

I think that was an old John Belushi trick.

• Like 4

On 3/7/2017 at 10:41 AM, cutter said:

With grilled cheese sliding around until i seen not suppose to saw the sandwich but chop straight down....

Oddly enough, I recently had to develop a unique cutting style for my grilled cheese sandwiches.  I've been using Texas toast bread (i.e. thick white bread slices) and three slices of American cheese.  So I've got a tall grilled sandwich with oozey, slidey, cheese in the middle.  I needed to cut it without smashing the height, or pressing the cheese out.

What I came up with was to use a simple table knife (the one that portioned the pats of butter for me), held vertically and repeatedly gently stabbed from top to bottom to create a perforated line across the sandwich. Do this once or twice to create a path that can be finished off with a normal slicing action.

• Like 2