• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fruit

liuzhou

I picked up a 6 pack of organic Altulfo mangoes at Shoprite on Saturday, every one of them was ripe, only one verging on over-ripe. Three were cut up for quick eating, the other three were cut up and frozen for future use. My fridge is full of various fruit at the moment, I couldn't resist buying a lot this week.

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I found the last of my Stella cherries on the tree this morning and still have a few Czar plums.  The apples and pears are not ready just yet.  The supermarkets and markets have lots of different fruit from all over the world, still.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Treated myself to one of the "personal size" watermelons the other day. Just cut in. Wow - thin white area, no visible annoying yellow wanna be seeds, super juicy and flavorful. 

IMG_1838.jpg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

I've been buying those for a couple years since lock-down. When available in season. Excellent. If I take a thick 'steak' out of the middle and slap the two end halves together in the fridge, I've got a couple more watermelon/feta salads for later in the week. Quick weeknight snack/meal.

Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 2.06.06 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

Feeling depressed I splurged on fruit* from Whole Foods.  I've not seen Concord grapes sold for many years.  I do love Concord grapes.  I took a chance on a pound of Thomcord.  Thomcord I understand is a cross with Concord.  Thomcord  grapes are vile.  Unlike Concord seeds, which non-masochists are compelled to politely spit out, Thomcord seeds are small, gritty, unpleasant, and still require some degree of mastication.  Thomcord volatiles hint at Concord, but so does the gallon of bird repellant I store in my second bathroom next to the 409 and mold remover.

Then there were the organic raspberries on sale that compelled me to make a trifle.  They look beautiful.  The raspberry verdict is not yet in.

And I've taken a chance on a Piel de Sapo melon.  "Toad skin" is not known for being non-toxic.  From what I've read Piel 

de Sapo melons store at room temperature for a long, long time.  In my apartment this is good.

Lastly, of course, there were the limes.

*and ice cream.  But the ice cream was McConnell's and it was on sale.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Feeling depressed I splurged on fruit* from Whole Foods.  I've not seen Concord grapes sold for many years.  I do love Concord grapes.  I took a chance on a pound of Thomcord.  Thomcord I understand is a cross with Concord.  Thomcord  grapes are vile.  Unlike Concord seeds, which non-masochists are compelled to politely spit out, Thomcord seeds are small, gritty, unpleasant, and still require some degree of mastication.  Thomcord volatiles hint at Concord, but so does the gallon of bird repellant I store in my second bathroom next to the 409 and mold remover.

Then there were the organic raspberries on sale that compelled me to make a trifle.  They look beautiful.  The raspberry verdict is not yet in.

And I've taken a chance on a Piel de Sapo melon.  "Toad skin" is not known for being non-toxic.  From what I've read Piel 

de Sapo melons store at room temperature for a long, long time.  In my apartment this is good.

Lastly, of course, there were the limes.

*and ice cream.  But the ice cream was McConnell's and it was on sale.

Sorry about those nasty grapes. My neighbor at the cottage yelled over at me a couple years ago and asked if I wanted to share his little yield of Concords. What a flavor!  Never been a raspberry fan. We have some cross in the canyons here - creek adjacent. I'll used to grab some on a hike but that seed grit? not my fave. Hope your trifle was worth the trouble ;)  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, heidih said:

Sorry about those nasty grapes. My neighbor at the cottage yelled over at me a couple years ago and asked if I wanted to share his little yield of Concords. What a flavor!  Never been a raspberry fan. We have some cross in the canyons here - creek adjacent. I'll used to grab some on a hike but that seed grit? not my fave. Hope your trifle was worth the trouble ;)  

Thanks.  You will be among the first to know.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

40 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thomcord  grapes are vile.

I quite like the Thomcords I’ve gotten from my local farmers market.  I’ve also bought them at Trader Joe’s. Not as good, but not vile. 
They aren’t Concords, nor are they truly seedless like their other parent, the exceedingly bland Thompson Seedless. I’m OK with that. Obviously, you’re not 😉  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

The "in-fruit" of the moment round here is this. Every store has them.

1284580822_YellowPassionfruit.jpg.6f2e98f3813fc741d3a7472c6100abb6.jpg

Yellow passionfruit. Delicious.

Cloyingly sweet for my tastes.

Hope they have the purple variety.  Tart and near perfection!

I came across an online retailer of unusual fruit and veg willing to deal with small orders (others are trade only with large minimum spend requirements).  Having great fun trying new to us fruits and attempting to put them to good use.

My most recent order brought us 3 sudachi - not sure if there should be an s at the end 🙃.

Any suggestions as to what we might use these for?  Have tried one and can see that it sits somewhere between lemon and lime.  We are a no fish or seafood household but otherwise open to trying most things…. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

That's how I used to open a mangosteen until I was stopped in Singapore by a guy whose family had a mangosteen farm in Malaysia.  He preferred the upside-down-squeeze method as there is no chance that the knife cuts too deep and bleeds some of the tannic rind into the fruit segments.  After doing it both ways (and a few times having said knife cut too deeply) I tend to agree with him.

50 minutes ago, KennethT said:

That's how I used to open a mangosteen until I was stopped in Singapore by a guy whose family had a mangosteen farm in Malaysia.  He preferred the upside-down-squeeze method as there is no chance that the knife cuts too deep and bleeds some of the tannic rind into the fruit segments.  After doing it both ways (and a few times having said knife cut too deeply) I tend to agree with him.

Yes, but I think she has had a bit more practice than most.

• Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 2 months later...

It's citrus season.  I found really good tangerines and tangelos at one of the few remaining citrus groves in the Valley.  I bought big bags and will be sharing them out with other households.   There were also navels, oro blanco grapefruit and some sort of red grapefruit.   The pecan crop looks healthy too, the in-shell nuts are sweet and meaty, but a bit of work to shell.   My lemons are getting close for harvest also.  I think the vast majority of my crop will be donated this year to whatever food bank will accept them.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

These are fresh 大青枣 (dà qīng zǎo) or Large Green Jujubes (aka Chinese Dates), Ziziphus jujuba. About the size of a small apple, they are the only fruit I can think of that the Chinese eat unpeeled.

dqngzo)orLargeGreenJujubeDates.thumb.jpg.e90b381c32d550291d677d80ead98dcf.jpg

8.thumb.jpg.c14c8e84d3d20bb71654d537e4e9d6d1.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

These are fresh 大青枣 (dà qīng zǎo) or Large Green Jujubes (aka Chinese Dates), Ziziphus jujuba. About the size of a small apple, they are the only fruit I can think of that the Chinese eat unpeeled.

dqngzo)orLargeGreenJujubeDates.thumb.jpg.e90b381c32d550291d677d80ead98dcf.jpg

8.thumb.jpg.c14c8e84d3d20bb71654d537e4e9d6d1.jpg

Interesting! Without your explanation I'd have thought they were, oh, Pippin or Granny Smith green apples because of their appearance  What are they like inside?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

14 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Interesting! Without your explanation I'd have thought they were, oh, Pippin or Granny Smith green apples because of their appearance  What are they like inside?

I too assumed green apples.  Whenever the big Chinese or Korean markets get a plump looking new crop the shoppers swarm around the bin. Not as big as those shown above. I grabbed a handful once and only recal being unimpressedbut obviously they are prized by many. I recall an almond sized pit and very firm texture.  I did not repeat try though.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I thought the same.

Here is one cut open. I think still a little unripe and needing a few days on the kitchen counter.

zao.thumb.jpg.e07b18ca5b0587f9f9ae068bed51d182.jpg

I'm more used to the much smaller (about ¼ of their size or less) and more common dried mainly red variety.

jujubes2.thumb.jpg.e0a33b5691c30bc31bd41b9a61888c61.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I don't normally buy pre-cut fruit but this cantaloupe was a bargain, sweet yet firm, and came with a little packet of Tajin powder (chile, lime, salt). The whole melons were completely without any hint of sweet smell - glad I took a chance.

IMG_1915.jpg

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Having bought a mango cutting frivolity device, I thought I'd better buy some mangoes.

I weighed the one on the left and it is 663 grams / 1.5 lbs (approx). They need a day or two on the counter before sampling.

Mangoes.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1