• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fruit

liuzhou

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Oh you! @blue_dolphin I just said in another topic I am not a fruit eater but I miss my plums and nectarines and peaches. Tree ripened, low watered stone fruit I do love. The problem is when you've had the best, settling sucks. Cue David Masumoto's "Epitaph for a Peach"

Word!

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

20 hours ago, Anna N said:

Wonder how long before we get to see them, if ever. Do tell us what they taste like when you get a chance. Can you taste the cherry? The idea of a cherry/plum cross really appeals to me!

They really do taste like a cross between a cherry and plum. I get a sweet cherry taste upfront and the tarter plum on the aftertaste. The flesh is relatively firm and crisp. This is the first week for them. Not sure if they will get softer or more sweet later in the season.  They are very cute little things!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

They really do taste like a cross between a cherry and plum. I get a sweet cherry taste upfront and the tarter plum on the aftertaste. The flesh is relatively firm and crisp. This is the first week for them. Not sure if they will get softer or more sweet later in the season.  They are very cute little things!

You always get the coolest  stuff!

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

They really do taste like a cross between a cherry and plum.

Thanks. They do indeed sound like a fruit that I would love.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Really ripe apricots are a treasure. My friend and I went to an estate sale once and there was an ancient tree - the kids let us pick - the car smelled incredibly sensuous. I caved to a Tuscan style cantaloupe today. From Dulcinea Farms in Fresno, Ca. I put it in my room as stepmom intensely squeezes fruit to check for ripeness. I will sleep with the perfume before I cut into it tomorrow - quite large for $3 per melon.  https://www.dulcinea.com/

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

I just got a box of these Phulae pineapples (a Thai variety) grown in Guatemala and picked ripe (not picked green).  I have strong memories of going crazy over the pineapples in Thailand and Vietnam... They're much smaller than the pineapples we get here but they have such a strong flavor and aroma and are ridiculously sweet and juicy.  While carving this one, I had to stop a few times to remove the juice off the board so it wouldn't spill onto the counter.  Don't want to waste it!

20210630_200755_HDR.thumb.jpg.f08e2c5341fde38be7a5c1d0f8bb94b3.jpg

20210630_202221_HDR.thumb.jpg.a612c32e131a2a4a9cd4da6432577e6a.jpg

My mediocre carving job to remove the eye

20210630_202526_HDR.thumb.jpg.18a521975882e50c40573d3fe9d8ef83.jpg

Finally!!!!  This plate lasted about 1-1/2 minutes between me and my wife.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

32 minutes ago, KennethT said:

My mediocre carving job to remove the eye

Not so bad! I'm always fascinated by how quickly the market people can peel and de-eye pineapples here. A few seconds per fruit.

I even bought one of the dedicated pineapple peelers they use, but I'm still hopeless.

42689346_pineapplepeeler.thumb.jpg.dbe852444127f0c26e42fef37f1e5f3f.jpg

Lovely looking pineapples you got there!

• Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Not so bad! I'm always fascinated by how quickly the market people can peel and de-eye pineapples here. A few seconds per fruit.

I even bought one of the dedicated pineapple peelers they use, but I'm still hopeless.

42689346_pineapplepeeler.thumb.jpg.dbe852444127f0c26e42fef37f1e5f3f.jpg

Lovely looking pineapples you got there!

I've seen people in Thailand peel and de-eye them so fast - with a cleaver!

This was definitely the best pineapple I've had in the continental US. (I remember having some fantastic pineapple in Hawaii - but that was many years ago). I'm so happy I stumbled on to this Facebook group about buying/selling fruit. The quality is so much better than I can get locally - it's too bad shipping is so expensive.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Yes. I've seen here and all over SE Asia.

I have a great memory of getting a pineapple like this - peeled and de-eyed but on a stick from a vendor roaming the beach in Thailand. Wish I took a photo of it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KennethT said:

I have a great memory of getting a pineapple like this - peeled and de-eyed but on a stick from a vendor roaming the beach in Thailand. Wish I took a photo of it.

Me too. And I never took a photo either. Too busy wiping pineapple juice from my face and hands, I guess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cute critter. Reminds me internally of passion fruit. The seeds are scooped out with the flesh and eaten?

I had an interesting fruit thing today at mainstream grocery. They labeled rambutan as lychee. No produce manager around so I bit my tongue. There were no lychee around, They looked  pretty fresh though.

• 2 months later...
On 7/13/2021 at 4:18 AM, liuzhou said:

刺角瓜 (cī jué guā) Cucumis metuliferus - Horned Melon

688977500_HornedMelon2.thumb.jpg.7be767ac09b12674b17009c6c897beae.jpg

1054162124_HornedMelon3.thumb.jpg.c5232d0eeb1d776414011af15b04c10d.jpg

How's the flavour? I tried these once because they looked intriguing, but they tasted very weakly of cucumber and nothing else, and I wondered whether this had something to do with the degree of ripeness/shipping conditions.

• Like 1

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

On 10/6/2021 at 1:46 PM, Mjx said:

How's the flavour? I tried these once because they looked intriguing, but they tasted very weakly of cucumber and nothing else, and I wondered whether this had something to do with the degree of ripeness/shipping conditions.

Yes, they do taste somewhat of cucumber. After all, they are part of the cucumber family, as are all melons. In fact, Mandarin Chinese doesn't differentiate between melons, squashes, cucumbers etc. - they are all some kind of (guā ).

That said, any time I've had these melons, I've more noticed a banana-like flavour. They also have a slight citrus flavour. Try lightly salting them; that brings out the flavours more.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Yes, they do taste somewhat of cucumber. After all, they are part of the cucumber family, as are all melons. In fact, Mandarin Chinese doesn't differentiate between melons, squashes, cucumbers etc. - they are all some king of (guā ).

That said, any time I've had these melons, I've more noticed a banana-like flavour. They also have a slight citrus flavour. Try lightly salting them; that brings out the flavours more.

Thanks! I'll bear that in mind next time I try one; I've heard of people salting melon to bring out the flavor, too, though I've always found that melon has a lot of flavour to begin with.

• Like 1

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

• 4 weeks later...

Could not resist stopping in the Asian supermarket on my way to the office this morning, picked up a case of 16 Ataulfo mangoes for $16.99, gave a bunch away to co-workers (one person took 5 to make fruit leather). They are from Ecuador and a little more tart.

mangos.jpg

• Like 5

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, KennethT said:

Since I won't be going to SE Asia any time soon, I decided to bring some of it to me... Just got in a box of a Thai variety of pineapple (grown in Guatemala).

Nice dressing of the pineapple. Here is my somewhat battered (well-used), dedicated pineapple shucking implement as used by every pineapple vendor in my local markets. Cost about next to nothing, back in 1997.

66440802_pineapplepeeler.thumb.jpg.9319dcc3a70805d4d6a774aa7e98c60e.jpg

Today they cost just over nothing.

I never tire of watching those vendors peel, de-eye and spiral cut those babies in seconds, over and over every day.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

Since I won't be going to SE Asia any time soon, I decided to bring some of it to me... Just got in a box of a Thai variety of pineapple (grown in Guatemala).

20211221_184246_HDR.thumb.jpg.b694c8b5164661428a8e37e42d23a469.jpg

20211221_184328_HDR.thumb.jpg.8e48f460887e3c462e2199eb04ce1740.jpg

20211221_203327_HDR.thumb.jpg.3b87a16b49d872debb4aca84bf41b39f.jpg

In Shoprite this afternoon I saw an Asian looking woman with about eight or ten pineapples in her cart.  I wondered what she was doing with them.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

9 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Nice dressing of the pineapple. Here is my somewhat battered (well-used), dedicated pineapple shucking implement as used by every pineapple vendor in my local markets. Cost about next to nothing, back in 1997.

66440802_pineapplepeeler.thumb.jpg.9319dcc3a70805d4d6a774aa7e98c60e.jpg

Today they cost just over nothing.

I never tire of watching those vendors peel, de-eye and spiral cut those babies in seconds, over and over every day.

I need to get me one of those.  It is a real pain in the a&& going it with a knife!

Even though we don't celebrate it, we got some green mango as a little Christmas gift to ourselves.  The seller called them "Taiwan mangoes" which I've seen them named before, but when we received the box, they actually are a product of Vietnam.  And huge!  Each mango is a little over 2 pounds!!!!  It was fantastic with a little bit of sugar/salt/chilli but it was great on its own as well.

20211224_183507_HDR.thumb.jpg.97bf7383a0bdea06cd468e11d5bd5211.jpg

20211224_183733_HDR.thumb.jpg.aaef41c7654bef753506fbd76bf2d7d4.jpg

20211224_212214_HDR.thumb.jpg.e3d4e23df958d355141b72e5360834ca.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1