• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fruit

liuzhou

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Do cherries ripen after they are picked?  I ask because the Rainier Cherries I recently got from amazon are somewhat astringent and not sweet.  In the previous couple years the Rainier cherries I have had from amazon have been great.

I bought some Rainier cherries yesterday at my fortnightly trip to Win-Co.

My experience was the same as yours...don't think they were really quite ready for the picking.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, lindag said:

My experience was the same as yours...don't think they were really quite ready for the picking.

The problem with Raniers is that if they are ready for the picking, they're not getting to Montana or New Jersey without becoming cherry mush.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

"Western melon".

I don’t eat a lot of watermelon but yours looks quite different from the ones I have seen. The colour is much more intense and the rind much, much thinner. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I don’t eat a lot of watermelon but yours looks quite different from the ones I have seen. The colour is much more intense and the rind much, much thinner. 

I don't eat a lot, either. I kind of overdosed on watermelon when I first came to China. It is everywhere and so cheap.

That was a particularly fine example. Very red! I picked it up at the local market this morning. The rind is a bit thinner than usual for here, but not by much. 

I don't know much about watermelon horticulture, but there are different cultivars. Also, China produces over 60% of the total world supply, so I guess they've got something figured out.

This is a "seedless" variety, although it does have a few tiny. little, yellowish seeds rather than the normal, larger black seeds.

1147246985__20210607202902.thumb.jpg.9f439905fc6886738745b37762e7a55f.jpg

Edited by liuzhou
Hideous typo (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 6/5/2021 at 2:23 PM, liuzhou said:

Durian - an open and shut case.

Had the durian been frozen? The supermarkets here used to sell durian that had been frozen then thawed to cut the smell. Now I think I can only get frozen durian from the Asian grocery. Haven't tried it, but maybe when the other is out of town sometime...

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

22 minutes ago, haresfur said:

Had the durian been frozen? The supermarkets here used to sell durian that had been frozen then thawed to cut the smell. Now I think I can only get frozen durian from the Asian grocery. Haven't tried it, but maybe when the other is out of town sometime...

Since he's in southern China, I assume that the durian has not been frozen since it is in season now.

We're coming on to the end of strawberry season (late this year), and not far from blueberries and blackberries. I must go to the pick-your-own and pick some blackberries for jam. Last time I went, I took the grandson, who was maybe 4 or 5. I picked two gallons in 20 minutes. He picked and ate at least a pint in that period of time.

My apple tree, which was barren last year, is loaded this year. There will be apple butter! There will be dried apples! Apple pies and apple crisps!

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

8 hours ago, haresfur said:

Certainly not! Almost nothing is frozen in China; never fruit, although I have one friend here who likes to freeze the segments after extraction.  But she is strange!

Durian ice-cream is wonderful!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, liuzhou said:

But she is strange!

So am I! I like to freeze grapes. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

We always have grapes in the freezer. They're one of my GF's favorite summer snacks, and the grandkids love 'em as well.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

4 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Oh.  I do that regularly. Best way to make ice cubes!

There was a French restaurant very near my London home, years ago. Sadly long gone.

Their signature dish was a dessert of frozen grapes in a pond of straight Pernod! Utterly delicious, but I was always glad home and bed was just around the corner.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, kayb said:

What's the deal with the red strings suspending the melons? Helping support the weight?

We used o hang them in old pantyhose cradles. Keeps the bugs out of the down side. Wonder as you do.

• Like 1

I used to do the same, as above

but grew the melons semi-vertical  ( 45 degrees ) on a 

trellis like system I made.

saved ground space , and keep the melons clean and dry

• Like 1

Oh you! @blue_dolphin I just said in another topic I am not a fruit eater but I miss my plums and nectarines and peaches. Tree ripened, low watered stone fruit I do love. The problem is when you've had the best, settling sucks. Cue David Masumoto's "Epitaph for a Peach"

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Picked up a basket of cherums at the farmers market today.  

Wonder how long before we get to see them, if ever. Do tell us what they taste like when you get a chance. Can you taste the cherry? The idea of a cherry/plum cross really appeals to me!

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog