• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fruit

liuzhou

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

@teonzo

Here they are when newly picked.

jujubes.thumb.jpg.85aa53c8061763ee50d04f796ccfa7df.jpg

and when nearly all drying

jujubes2.thumb.jpg.d057b497a3b40ea76510466a7fbbd9a7.jpg

This is how I see people grabbing them in the grocery stores and farmers markts. So they will ripen on their own once brought home? They seemed kinda boring  to me when I tasted.in the pictured state. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, teonzo said:

I'm curious about the maturation point of jujubes.
Jujube trees were imported here in Veneto about 1 century ago. They became pretty popular, almost every home had a jujube tree. This only in a part of Veneto (Venice, Padua and Treviso), they are almost unknown in the rest of Italy. Then in the last few decades they went out of fashion, now they are considered a "forgotten fruit". I have a tree at home, I've been taught to eat them when they just turn fully brown and are still plump, when they taste more like apples than dates, because "when they wilt they are bad". But from what I see people in China eat them when they are wilted and taste more like dates and medlars.
So my question is if Chinese people eat them only after they turn wilted, or if they do just like here and eat them when they are still plump.
Next year I need to remember to let some of them wilt on the tree and make some experiments.

Teo

Many, many thanks for this.   

eGullet member #80.

On 11/12/2019 at 9:21 PM, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I see these in local markets, more fresh than these at this time, but i have no idea how to use them.   Help???

Oh the absolute horrid memories I have as a kid “helping” my mom pick these (we picked - she chatted 😂) - taking bushels and bushels of these home and drying them - turn them over - bring them in - take them out - dry - turn - in - out - etc ad nauseam ... on the plus side - she would make a beautiful and delicious rice cake (my favorite) and trade them with her friends for various delicious foods 😂😂😂 - mostly things that were a pita to make ... so - rice Cake is one idea if you make / eat it ... I also know they all froze a lot of them to use later, but I could t give you specifics on how. 

• Thanks 1

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

48 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Picked this morning.    The Hicheyas were hiding among the similarly colored leaves.    They "weren't there" 10 days ago     Somehow the birds missed them also!  

Clearly you  have no possum  and raccoon issues - mine  always disappear...magically overnght! 

• Haha 1

We have raccoon skat but never have seen one and they seem to leave produce alone.    Now in town, that's a different matter.   They ate most of the crop of our apple tree, and what they missed, rats ate.    They also dredge the lawn for grubs, making it look like a mine field.

eGullet member #80.

• 2 weeks later...

An unexpected gift. 烟台苹果  (yān tái píng guǒ), Yantai apples.

Yantai is a city in Shandong Province in northern China and is famous for its apples, widely regarded as China's best. A friend's family has orchards there and she sent me a dozen, very seasonal, just picked examples to try. Here are just four. They are huge and very good!

22873946_Yantaiapples.thumb.jpg.406a708774f90af30fe8d1bb7b92cf54.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Those strawberries sure aren't Driscoll brand ones.   I had almost forgotten that real ones are red from top to bottom.  Bet they aren't hollow in the center either.  Damn, I want some now!  Beautiful.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

Those strawberries sure aren't Driscoll brand ones.   I had almost forgotten that real ones are red from top to bottom.  Bet they aren't hollow in the center either.  Damn, I want some now!  Beautiful.

Driscoll markets in China!  

35 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Minimally. Those definitely weren't Dricoll's.

I get it - just spewed about the far far reach of the brand. I only buy from local farmers and our season starts March (non greenhouse). If I can't smell them from 10 feet away - no way. From my eG blog  

post-52659-0-53686700-1304279399.jpg

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My Christmas gift from old neighbor who came to get her cookies. Calamansi from one of her 2 big trees. She was born in the Philipines and they mean alot to her. We sometimes do marmalade. I used a bunch for a beet salad and in a carrot roast.The fragrance! 

calamari.JPG

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

I have mentioned these before but found them again today. They are 释迦 (shì jiā), aka sugar-apple or sweetsop. This particular cultivar from Taiwan is named 释迦牟尼头 (shì jiā móu ní tóu),  Sakyamuni's Head or Buddha's head due to some perception that it resembles the Buddha's head. Can't see it myself. These are not yet ripe, but having had them before, I know they are going to be very sweet.

1687545178_sakyamuni1.thumb.jpg.717438dda8188538814eb710f6142182.jpg

1723844472_sakyamuni2.thumb.jpg.71f46940237590cf5ebc6b8b0513f587.jpg

• Like 4

I have mentioned these before but found them again today. They are 释迦 (shì jiā), aka sugar-apple or sweetsop. This particular cultivar from Taiwan is named 释迦牟尼头 (shì jiā móu ní tóu),  Sakyamuni's Head or Buddha's head due to some perception that it resembles the Buddha's head. Can't see it myself. These are not yet ripe, but having had them before, I know they are going to be very sweet.

1687545178_sakyamuni1.thumb.jpg.717438dda8188538814eb710f6142182.jpg

1723844472_sakyamuni2.thumb.jpg.71f46940237590cf5ebc6b8b0513f587.jpg

I can't tell if what you said is sarcasm...

shk_tp_web__39523.1401896079.thumb.jpg.5600a2e59e78e4b00982a1d69cb63119.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Here's a new one to me.

紫 手指 (zǐ shǒu zhǐ), literally purple fingers. They are finger grapes aka witches' finger grapes.

I have seen similar grapes sold as Moon Drops and Sweet Sapphire grapes.  I think I read somewhere that US consumers did not fancy the witches’ fingers moniker for a fruit.  Picky, picky!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, blue_dolphin said:

I have seen similar grapes sold as Moon Drops and Sweet Sapphire grapes.  I think I read somewhere that US consumers did not fancy the witches’ fingers moniker for a fruit.  Picky, picky!

Yes, they seem to have a few names, but the only references I found to witchcraft was on US websites!

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

It has become a misogynistic reference https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/apr/07/cursed-from-circe-to-clinton-why-women-are-cast-as-witches  So not a preferred term

5 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

Hum. those sweetsops look like a cross between an artichoke and a pine cone.

Yes, but not in taste, not that I've ever tried such a cross! 😁

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 2