• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fruit

liuzhou

'In the market today, 青李 qīng lǐ or 'green plums'. Didn't buy any. They were rock hard and I'm not sure if they are very late or very early in terms of seasonality. Pretty though.

94633772_greenplums.thumb.jpg.c44ef3a2165925ab7fad2be0a4554221.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 1 month later...

One of my neighbours (I don't know which) has lopped off a lump of banana tree and is leaving them in the communal area of our apartment blocks to ripen in the lovely sunshine we are experiencing. I took this photograph about an hour ago. They were there yesterday, too. She or he takes them in at night.

bananas.thumb.jpg.67373b757c8951d59bd5b8a148460151.jpg

• Like 6

I have always been astounded by the fruit eating capacity and culture in my Vietnamese and Taiwanese friends. A big group sits around and enjoys a seasonal fruit and chats for a long time. 

With John gone......fruit and veg!!!!!

I've been indulging in fruit salads made with grapes, tangerines and apples with a sweetish dressing of Greek yoghurt, honey and basil.

Also poaching pears in hibiscus and pomegranate then the next day cutting them in half and hollowing them out.  Filled with a mix of lactose free cream cheese whipped with some gorgonzola dolce.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 2 weeks later...

For the first time three nights ago I tried a Lady Alice apple.  I believe it may have been the finest apple I have eaten.  Sweet and crisp and tart with a lot of flavor.  Texture was perfect.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 11/27/2018 at 7:16 PM, suzilightning said:

With John gone......fruit and veg!!!!!

I've been indulging in fruit salads made with grapes, tangerines and apples with a sweetish dressing of Greek yoghurt, honey and basil.

Also poaching pears in hibiscus and pomegranate then the next day cutting them in half and hollowing them out.  Filled with a mix of lactose free cream cheese whipped with some gorgonzola dolce. 

I am definitely trying this. I have a jug of jamaica (the hibiscus drink) in the fridge and a bottle of pomegranate molasses, plus cream cheese and gorgonzola--now all I need is the pears. That sounds like the perfect winter dessert. On  second thought, why not breakfast? Midnight snack?

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

On November 26, 2018 at 10:38 AM, ElsieD said:

What will one person do with all those bananas?

I have several banana trees which produce a small variety of banana.   When I cut a stalk of bananas off I hang the stalk in the garage and pull them in as they ripen.   I'll eat some but will freeze the majority on a sheet pan then bag and store in the freezer

Frozen bananas puréed in the vitamix makes a darn good dessert.  It's like a soft serve banana ice cream 

• Like 2

I do that periodically in the summertime, though I use my venerable Cuisinart. My Vitamix is the old-school variety with the stainless steel jar, and I find it needs help with anything thick/chunky.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I shuffled out mumbling into the frozen rain this morning to obtain any form of sustenance from the nearest store - fortunately a smallish supermarket.

Among their offerings, I noticed that they had several representatives of the citrus family. For example:

1346225997_citruscinensisbaxigan.thumb.jpg.9b2897db2eee305f262e3019994994f5.jpg

These were labelled "巴西柑 (bā xī gān)", which literally means "Brazil Tangerines", but they have little to do with Brazil. They are citrus sinensis and native to China. THat said Brazil does now grow more than anyone else, so perhaps that's why. These were grown in Hunan, the province to the north of us, though.

466458023_dahonggan.thumb.jpg.68c748140011d810778a4d6c59eabd27.jpg

Next, we have 大红柑 (dà hóng gān) or large red tangerines.

gonggan.thumb.jpg.d50a33ff5c701558e09d45f2603499a5.jpg

and 宫柑 (gōng gān) or 'palace tangerines', so called because they were once reserved for sending as tribute to the emperors in the Imperial Palace (aka Forbidden City). Now, foreign plebs like me can eat them.

Next up:

migaqn.thumb.jpg.499eefab51d123626aeb86ae367d7974.jpg

蜜柑 (mì gān). Literally 'honey tangerine', but honey is often used just to mean 'sweet'.

Then the oranges.

351780100_shatangcheng.thumb.jpg.f41720c6721cca8348e26b2b877eb8d9.jpg

Those are 砂糖橙 (shā táng chéng) which means 'sugar orange'. Again sugar is just used to mean 'sweet'.

1984635825_navelorangeqicheng.thumb.jpg.ec45412cf05b37fcec6dd58dc2d1424e.jpg

脐橙 (qí chéng) or 'navel oranges'.

364737759_.thumb.jpg.3c51c103b962a4ffe0fba34bf556a2df.jpg

赣南甜橙 (gàn nán tián chéng), literally South Jiangxi (Province) Sweet Oranges

Then we have:

1014216715_huapijinjiekumquat.thumb.jpg.a6d8451ff7bd90a713f5ae1f842938d4.jpg

花皮金橘 (huā pí jīn jú) - 'flower skin kumquats'

and

108115902_grapefruitxiyou.thumb.jpg.d799992315e021c15c1487d4da3aef61.jpg

西柚 xī yòu - 'grapefruit'

They also had four different kinds of pomelos, but the battery in my cell phone died. I'll photograph them tomorrow.

I find this an astonishing number of citrus fruits for a small neighbourhood supermarket to carry, but they were selling well. I bought the green-skinned ones at the top.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

When  I got back to the supermarket, the number of pomelo types had risen from four to (almost) six.  One signposted variety had sold out.

Here are the remaining five:

shatian.thumb.jpg.0c5d3769d3f057b40116401ab8035933.jpg

沙田柚 (shā tián yòu). Citrus maxima ‘Shatian’. The most common pomelo.

1704901146_rongxianshatian.thumb.jpg.9f99843a0d8851c97cacd24a15f927c9.jpg

容县沙田柚 (róng xiàn shā tián yòu). This is another 'Shatian' pomelo, but a highly prized one. It is from Rongxian County in southern Guangxi. The area is famed for its high quality (and high priced) pomelos.

1276153489_fujianhoney.thumb.jpg.e2c3ed1ffed752fa3d45ecb4f708bd36.jpg

福建蜜柚 (fú jiàn mì yòu), Fujian Honey Pomelo, a sweet and again prized  example from Fujian Province in SE China.

shuimi.thumb.jpg.38c9caf4ed815f9e95ff61464f81914f.jpg

Then two together in one pile. 红肉柚 (hóng ròu yòu), red fleshed pomelo (in the red wrappers) and 水蜜柚 (shuǐ mì yòu) or 'juicy, sweet pomelo).

Next to them was an empty display marked 三江柚 (sān jiāng yòu) or Sanjiang pomelos, Sanjiang being a nearby county. They are usually very good, and being local means that they are often the cheapest, which may explain why they had gone so quickly.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, heidih said:

I traded cookies for calamansi yesterday. My friend's 2 trees are loaded. Forgot phone so no shot of trees.

calamansi.JPG

I read this "calamari" at first, and thought it was the oddest looking such I'd ever seen....

• Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 3 weeks later...

it's a lovely time of year for citrus here in southern AZ. We have a few of our own trees but they are small (we had to replace some previous ones) and not producing too much right now, so we take advantage of it when neighbours are sharing their bounty. Most recently we were gifted with several big bags of fruit, mostly a tangerine hybrid and also some kind of navel orange. We'll eat some of the navels as they are, but the tangerines make such a lovely juice and we can freeze some of that. 

This is my very inexpensive Black & Decker citrus juicer, which has been going strong for ten years. it's a bit noisy but it does the trick and I've used it on a lot of fruit! 

IMG_20181228_162340.thumb.jpg.4d091803d5e635343f02e7af2872c1f1.jpg

IMG_20181228_164751.thumb.jpg.67daa170de4c05c530698da9c728ef22.jpg

• Like 6

On 12/29/2018 at 9:35 AM, FauxPas said:

This is my very inexpensive Black & Decker citrus juicer, which has been going strong for ten years. it's a bit noisy but it does the trick and I've used it on a lot of fruit! 

Have you heard Ina Garten's juicer on her Food Network TV series? As loud as a cement truck at full rotation. And you just know it has to be one of those expensive ones so why is it so noisy?

So you're in good company.

And I am envious of your tangerine juice...it looks wonderful. :smile:

• Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

48 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Have you heard Ina Garten's juicer on her Food Network TV series? As loud as a cement truck at full rotation. And you just know it has to be one of those expensive ones so why is it so noisy?

So you're in good company.

And I am envious of your tangerine juice...it looks wonderful. :smile:

Actually I bought that juicer because I watched Ms Garten use it.  And, yes, it is quite noisy but very efficient and space saving.  I also have the big-ass Breville juicer which is very nice but a space hog.  I use my little Braun most of the time since it stores so easily.

BTW, that Braun was dirt cheap but I don't think it's available any longer.

• Like 2