• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fruit

liuzhou

4 minutes ago, kayb said:

Picked up my first Arkansas strawberries of the year at the Farmers Market in Hot Springs when I was down there for a weekend visit, and brought half a gallon home. Big, plump berries, surprising for so early in the year. Vendor said they'd been picking them since Monday. I think that may be close to the earliest I've ever seen berries in Arkansas, though the local celebrated vendor of strawberry shortcake announced they'd start serving them this Friday, 3/31.

I'm jealous.  We won't see local berries until June.  

We may see local strawberries soon here as well. Fruit crops started coming in a full month early, but then we had several days in row of hard freezes this month. I hope some have survived, and the weather gurus don't forecast anymore freezes or frosts for the season. If I find any, I will let you know.

It bodes well that some of the fruit blossoms in peoples' yards seem to have survived, but the freezes did a very bad number on camellias and azaleas in particular. The local news has frustratingly not followed up on the effects of the freeze on our fruit crops.

> ^ . . ^ <

• 2 months later...
On 3/5/2017 at 6:44 PM, liuzhou said:

Tutti Frutti. Feeling fruity?

(I have searched and, to my surprise, can find no dedicated fruit topic. I know the search here is deeply flawed, so I could be wrong. Also I couldn't actually find a suitable topic category to put this in. None of the topic descriptions match.)

I'm just wondering what fresh fruit you have access to now. We all live in widely scattered places and climates, so I'll wager there are big differences.

This is what I have right now.

fruit.thumb.jpg.350010a5c1bb85db04b89dafb21be9bc.jpg

Bananas - available year round. Those are Cavendish bananas, but we get different varieties, too.

Longan (龙眼 lóng yǎn; literally "dragon's eyes"). I'm surprised to see these now. They are usually midsummer fruits, but then the weather has been unusually warm (not that global warming exists, oh no! All a Chinese plot.)

Loquat (枇杷 pí pa). Right time for them.

Strawberries (草莓 cǎo méi; literally "grass berries"). It has always confused me, but Christmas onwards is strawberry season in China. Back in England always summer.

I also have loads of apples.

What you got?

For sure, no berries here at Malaysia. At least not a decent one and in reasonable price. I remember when i was in Birmingham for my degree, i ate berries everyday cause for me it is a rare delicacy. :P  I even got to know some berries that I didn't even know it exist like lingonberry.

In Malaysia, currently we have mangosteen, lychee, rambutan, durian, pulasan, jackfruit, cempedak, sapodilla, starfruit/carambola, papaya, langsat, mango, rose apple/water apple, dragon fruit/pitaya and longan's long lost little brother, mata kucing (literally "cat's eyes"). What else? Let just say, i don't have that much space in my stomach nor the financial capability to buy so much.

• Like 4

Locally, we're about at the end of strawberry season, although there are still a few in the markets. Blackberries and raspberries are coming in, and we're starting to get blueberries. Cling peaches have been available in the markets for several weeks. In the next couple of weeks, we should start having watermelon and canteloupe. My birthday is near the end of June, and typically I can get local melons for my birthday. Freestone peaches will come in late next month.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

6 minutes ago, kayb said:

Locally, we're about at the end of strawberry season, although there are still a few in the markets. Blackberries and raspberries are coming in, and we're starting to get blueberries. Cling peaches have been available in the markets for several weeks. In the next couple of weeks, we should start having watermelon and canteloupe. My birthday is near the end of June, and typically I can get local melons for my birthday. Freestone peaches will come in late next month.

Berries... :x   

Hmm.. strawberry... Sorry for being ignorant. Strawberry is a seasonal fruit? :P We have strawberry all year round planted at my father hometown, Cameron Highlands. But it have harder outer layer, slightly sour (That what they all said.For me, it is very sour without even a hint of sweetnesss) and smaller... =.= 

Until recently (from what I heard), a Japanese guy named Mr. Kyosuke Kinoshita start to plant strawberry at Cameron Highlands after being ridiculed that it is impossible to plant a sweet strawberry at Malaysia and he did it (from what i heard, haven't get the chance to try it though because the price is basically same as imported strawberry =.=).

His and his partner website:

https://www.cai-sg.com/products/strawberries

Mr. Kyosuke Kinoshita.jpg

• Like 4

It's June 9th and we have nada.  A penalty of living in East Central Ontario.  However, the apple trees are loaded with teensy beginnings of apples once again and we live in hope.  Just finished the last of the frozen apple cider from last year.  And I have one more frozen applesauce and can make two more loaves of the delicious cake recipe which Arey sent me.  

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

20 minutes ago, Darienne said:

It's June 9th and we have nada.  A penalty of living in East Central Ontario.  However, the apple trees are loaded with teensy beginnings of apples once again and we live in hope.  Just finished the last of the frozen apple cider from last year.  And I have one more frozen applesauce and can make two more loaves of the delicious cake recipe which Arey sent me.  

Which recipe is this?

1 hour ago, Allen89 said:

Hmm.. strawberry... Sorry for being ignorant. Strawberry is a seasonal fruit? :P We have strawberry all year round planted at my father hometown, Cameron Highlands. But it have harder outer layer, slightly sour (That what they all said.For me, it is very sour without even a hint of sweetnesss) and smaller... =.= 

Until recently (from what I heard), a Japanese guy named Mr. Kyosuke Kinoshita start to plant strawberry at Cameron Highlands after being ridiculed that it is impossible to plant a sweet strawberry at Malaysia and he did it (from what i heard, haven't get the chance to try it though because the price is basically same as imported strawberry =.=).

Mr. Kyosuke Kinoshita.jpg

The Japanese are really the most advanced when it comes to hydroponic greenhouse strawberry cultivation.  I've been researching growing strawberries hydroponically, here in NYC, and most of the information is coming from research done in Japan.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

Errr...  may i ask what is nada? from goggle search, i get a car dealer company... lol.

30 minutes ago, TicTac said:

'Nada' is slang for the word 'Nothing'

It's actually a Spanish word meaning "nothing". ;)

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

5 hours ago, Allen89 said:

Yes, here in the Southern US, strawberries are seasonal. They do not do very hot temperatures well, so their growing season is early, and they are finished with producing by early June. It was a quite long strawberry season this year, as spring came early, but the hot days of summer have really not hit yet. I will be interested to see if there are still strawberries at the market tomorrow when I go.

Here they are quite sweet; moreso some years than others, depending on, I am told, how much rain falls during their growing season.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

14 hours ago, jeffrey30 said:

i can predict from the image that you are from china, it's the specific fruit in china, while it all taste well, what a wonderful life in china

Your prediction would be wrong, then. As @Allen89 points out the picture is taken at his father's home town in Malaysia.

I have no idea what you mean by "the specific fruit in china". Specific is the wrong word. But although strawberries are available in China (sometimes), I doubt there is another person on the planet who, when thinking about fruit and China, comes up with strawberries. Lychee maybe would be number 1. I have posted many pictures here of what fruit I  get in China.

How you can assume that life in China is wonderful because of strawberries is an utter mystery.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Went to the you-pick-'em blackberry farm today and picked two gallons of berries in something under 30 minutes; lots of unripe berries still on the vines, so there will be berries for a good while yet. I think two gallons (about nine pounds) should make all the jam I will want.

Massive berries:

593c33ce583a0_bigbbs0610.jpg.2a991cbd61e41037f3ca6b7ee51d8dea.jpg

I had good help to pick. I suspect the amount he ate while picking may have cut into the farm's profit for the day!

593c33f5b26c9_brockberries.jpg.d515b75f50852ea8372f51f79e37c0b3.jpg

Market this morning had raspberries, peaches and nectarines, in addition to blackberries. No melons yet. I managed to limit myself to nectarines, which go wonderfully with the clementines I picked up at the grocery earlier in the week in my morning yogurt.

• Like 11

Don't ask. Eat it.

I picked up a Burro banana at the Indian grocer the other day and had it tonight as part of dinner. I let it ripen to yellow with black spots and had it raw. I did not taste lemon, but there was a small tart note to it. To me it seems like a stubby plantain, so a bit of a letdown, but I have such fun finding and trying new foods, small disappointments are well worth it.

I'm still looking forward to trying the Ataulfo Mango I purchased at the same time. That will be a new one on me too.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

16 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I picked up a Burro banana at the Indian grocer the other day and had it tonight as part of dinner. I let it ripen to yellow with black spots and had it raw. I did not taste lemon, but there was a small tart note to it. To me it seems like a stubby plantain, so a bit of a letdown, but I have such fun finding and trying new foods, small disappointments are well worth it.

I'm still looking forward to trying the Ataulfo Mango I purchased at the same time. That will be a new one on me too.

You are going to love the mango.  It's my favourite kind.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

You are going to love the mango.  It's my favourite kind.

And I was just about to say the same thing.  Imported, of course...

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Bought myself some mangosteens. One of my favourite fruits.

mangosteens.thumb.jpg.2c353b0ddf623666b5a98d95f8097414.jpg

Mangosteen.thumb.jpg.07e3591dbe8ff9e09b94afe9cdcbf1d6.jpg

The price of durians has slipped so low that they are almost giving them away. However, to get the good deal you have to buy a whole one which I'm never going to get through. Need to round up some friends, but a lot of them hate durian!

• Like 3

20 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Your prediction would be wrong, then. As @Allen89 points out the picture is taken at his father's home town in Malaysia.

I have no idea what you mean by "the specific fruit in china". Specific is the wrong word. But although strawberries are available in China (sometimes), I doubt there is another person on the planet who, when thinking about fruit and China, comes up with strawberries. Lychee maybe would be number 1. I have posted many pictures here of what fruit I  get in China.

How you can assume that life in China is wonderful because of strawberries is an utter mystery.

@liuzhou I think @jeffrey30 meant your picture? Correct me if I'm wrong. Because fruit like lychee, kumquat, longan, and loquat are from China. And your picture have longan, and loquat.

22 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Bought myself some mangosteens. One of my favourite fruits.

mangosteens.thumb.jpg.2c353b0ddf623666b5a98d95f8097414.jpg

Mangosteen.thumb.jpg.07e3591dbe8ff9e09b94afe9cdcbf1d6.jpg

The price of durians has slipped so low that they are almost giving them away. However, to get the good deal you have to buy a whole one which I'm never going to get through. Need to round up some friends, but a lot of them hate durian!

Yes... finally a mangosteen in other country than Malaysia. I read it somewhere (forgot where) which the author said mangosteen is extinct. I was like what !!! Then, i reply the author that what am i eating all this time, the purple skinned, white flesh fruit with sweet and sour taste. After reply that, i thought to myself, maybe it is so rare at other plave that the author thought it is extinct?

11 minutes ago, Allen89 said:

@liuzhou I think @jeffrey30 meant your picture? Correct me if I'm wrong. Because fruit like lychee, kumquat, longan, and loquat are from China. And your picture have longan, and loquat.

Yes, you  are almost certainly correct. However, he has still got it wrong. I am not FROM China. I'm British as my profile states..

And there is no need for prediction. It says beside my name that I am in China.

The rest of the post remains confusing - I realise that it it is a language problem.

10 minutes ago, Allen89 said:

Yes... finally a mangosteen in other country than Malaysia. I read it somewhere (forgot where) which the author said mangosteen is extinct. I was like what !!! Then, i reply the author that what am i eating all this time, the purple skinned, white flesh fruit with sweet and sour taste. After reply that, i thought to myself, maybe it is so rare at other plave that the author thought it is extinct?

Mangosteen extinct? Who on earth wrote that.? (lthough it soon might be if I keep eating so many.)