• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

4 hours ago, TdeV said:

I just found this post. Could you please describe how you use this implement?

1 hour ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

I'd be interested in this also. 

Most fruit stalls in the markets here and across SE Asia sell their pineapples peeled and with the eyes removed using a spiral cut with the special knife.

pineapple peeler.jpg

The pineapples are first thinly peeled using a regular Chinese cleaver, removing the hard skin and any green but leaving the eyes in. The eyes form a spiral pattern around and down to the root end. The pineapple tool is used to remove a small amount of the fruit and the eyes.

It can be done with a regular paring knife as in the video below, but that is a slow process. The special tool allows for parallel cuts either side of the eyes and the blunt tip at the end scrapes away the debris. The woman in the video takes around 5 or more minutes to do her pineapple. The market vendors take less than a minute.

The knife also has a regular peeler on the reverse which is useful for any tidying up required.

It isn't pineapple season right now or I'd be able to photograph the technique which would probably be more useful than my explanation here. Maybe later!

I see that Walmart has a sort of similar tool on sale here.

liuzhou

liuzhou

3 hours ago, TdeV said:

I just found this post. Could you please describe how you use this implement?

1 hour ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

I'd be interested in this also. 

Most fruit stalls in the markets here and across SE Asia sell their pineapples peeled and with the eyes removed using a spiral cut with the special knife.

pineapple peeler.jpg

The pineapples are first thinly peeled with a regular Chinese cleaver, removing the hard skin and any green but leaving the eyes in. The eyes form a spiral pattern around and down to the root end. The pineapple tool is used to remove a small amount of the fruit and the eyes.

It can be done with a regular paring knife as in the video below, but that is a slow process. The special tool allows for parallel cuts either side of the eyes and the blunt tip at the end scrapes away the debris. The woman in the video takes around 5 or nmore minutes to do her pineapple. The market vendors take less than a minute.

The knife also has a regular peeler on the reverse which is useful for any tidying up required.

It isn't pineapple season right now or I'd be able to photograph the technique which would probably be more useful than my explanation here. Maybe later!

I see that Walmart has a sort of similar tool on sale here.