• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dcarch

dcarch

On 3/24/2017 at 3:57 AM, liuzhou said:

On the way home from visiting "the woman who fixes stuff" to ask her to sort out a bust zipper on my favourite coat/jacket, I passed the first mulberry fruit street vendor of the season. Within days there will be dozens.

mulberry.jpg.8687264fcd91f079b1b73b772ca26e7f.jpg

I suppose if you are in areas not far from silkworm farming, mulberries can be very cheap. Silkworms only eat mulberry leaves.

I remember long time ago, I travelled to a town where there was a lot of silkworm farming. A very ecological way of life style.

Mulberry trees produced berries for people, leaves for silkworms. Silkworms made silk. Silkworms also made a lot of droppings, which were used as feed for carp fish farming. After silkworm cocoons were processed for silk, the pupas were fried as snacks. Very tasty snacks and healthy for people.

100% recycling. Nothing was wasted.

dcarch

dcarch

dcarch

On 3/24/2017 at 3:57 AM, liuzhou said:

On the way home from visiting "the woman who fixes stuff" to ask her to sort out a bust zipper on my favourite coat/jacket, I passed the first mulberry fruit street vendor of the season. Within days there will be dozens.

mulberry.jpg.8687264fcd91f079b1b73b772ca26e7f.jpg

I suppose if you are in areas not far from silkworm farming, mulberries can be very cheap. Silkworms only eat mulberry leaves.

I remember long time ago, I travelled to a town where there was a lot of silkworm farming. A very ecological way of life style.

Mulberry trees produced berries for people, leaves for silkworms. Silkworms made silk. Silkworms also made a lot of droppings, which were used as feed for carp fish farming. After silkworm cocoons were processed, the pupas were fried as snacks. Very tasty snacks and healthy for people.

100% recycling. Nothing was wasted.

dcarch