• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

illiterate typos

The weather here has been horrible for days now, so I haven't been out and about much. But yesterday, the rain stopped briefly and I dashed out to the nearest supermarket to pick up a few essentials. The entrance I use most often (they have two) is right by the fruit section so, of course, I took a look. Apart from what I have shown already, which they still have, they had:

raspberries.thumb.jpg.9ddcf4263f9572ef14e691da4c0cbe89.jpg

Raspberries

I grew up in the soft fruit belt of Scotland where they grow what are simply, unarguably the best raspberries, so I'm hard to please. These specimens come from Yunnan province and are overripe and almost tasteless. 0/10.

Note: raspberries are all but unknown here in China and I first saw these only last month. As I was taking the picture I could hear other shoppers asking each other what they were. In Chinese, they are 树莓 - shù méi which literally means "tree berries", I guess to differentiate them from strawberries.

blueberries.thumb.jpg.9420f91e71072f9e514d52f21deacb30.jpg

Blueberries

I hate blueberries. But the locals love them and stick them into everything. Horrible.

I still haven't recovered from the time a Chinese friend informed me in all seriousness that she had found a shop selling "blue cheese". This was back in the days when any cheese was almost impossible to find. So, off we trotted to the shop in question where she proudly presented me with this.

58cca42cbe6f7_Blueberrycheese.thumb.jpg.2224664b1a88cd6f9c8e0cc90ef783f3.jpg

No doubt, intended to be washed down by this:

58cca65061722_Blueberrygreentea.thumb.jpg.b201a4dfc3483f1dc9286dd49625a7e4.jpg

Yuck!

liuzhou

liuzhou

The weather here has been horrible for days now, so I haven't been out and about much. But yesterday, the rain stopped briefly and I dashed out to the nearest supermarket to pick up a few essentials. The entrance I use most often (they have two) is right by the fruit section so, of course, I took a look. Apart from what I have shown already, which they still have, they had:

Raspberries

I grew up in the soft fruit belt of Scotland where they grow what are simply, unarguably the best raspberries, so I'm hard to please. These specimens come from Yunnan province and are overripe and almost tasteless. 0/10.

Note: raspberries are all but unknown here in China and I first saw these only last month. As I was taking the picture I could hear other shoppers asking each other what they were. In Chinese, they are 树莓 - shù méi which literally means "tree berries", I guess to differentiate them from strawberries.

Blueberries

I hate blueberries. But the locals love them and stick them into everything. Horrible.

I still haven't recovered from the time a Chinese friend informed me in all seriously that she had found a shop selling "blue cheese". This was back in the days when any cheese was almost impossible to find. So, off we trotted to the shop in question where she proudly presented me with this.

Yuck!

liuzhou

liuzhou

Raspberries

Note: raspberries are all but unknown here in China and I first saw these only last month. As I was taking the picture I could here other shoppers asking each other what they were. In Chinese, they are 树莓 - shù méi which literally means "tree berries", I guess to differentiate them from strawberries.

Blueberries

I still haven't recovered from the time a Chinese friend informed me in all seriously that she had found a shop selling "blue cheese". This was back in the days when any cheese was almost impossible to find. So, off we trotted to the shop in question where she proudly presented me with this.

Yuck!

liuzhou

liuzhou

The weather here has been horrible for days now, so I haven't been out and about much. But yesterday, the rain stopped briefly and I dashed out to the nearest supermarket to pick up a few essentials. The entrance I use most often (they have two) in right by the fruit section so, of course, I took a look. Apart from what I have shown already, which they still have, they had:

Raspberries

Note: raspberries are all but unknown here in China and I first saw these only last month. As I was taking the picture I could here other shoppers asking each other what they were. In Chinese, they are 树莓 - shù méi which literally means "tree berries", I guess to differentiate them from strawberries.

Blueberries

Yuck!

liuzhou

liuzhou

The weather here has been horrible for days now, so I haven't been out and about much. But yesterday, the rain stopped briefly and I dashed out to the nearest supermarket to pick up a few essentials. The entrance I use most often (they have two) in right by the fruit section so, of course, I took a look. Apart from what I have shown already, which they still have, they had:

Raspberries

Blueberries

Yuck!

liuzhou

liuzhou

Raspberries

Blueberries

58cca427dd27f_Blueberrygreentea.thumb.jpg.2a2e330127a628c2dfc860f1a756beaf.jpg

Yuck!

white jade melon.jpg

black xigua.jpg

papaya.jpg

pearl melon.jpg

unicorn melon.jpg

watermelon.jpg