• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

sartoric

sartoric

14 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

@sartoric,

I believe I read somewhere that bananas are pretty expensive in Australia, due to legislative support for local growers of this crop that bars imports. I seem to remember $9.00 a pound, which is insane to us who pay from 39 to 69 cents a pound for them.

You are fortunate to have good local mangoes. I love that fruit. In fact, I love a lot of fruit. Most of it is so good without doing a thing to it except to wash it.

Do you ever get finger limes, quandongs, carambola or snowberries? I will probably never see any of these in real life except we can get starfruit (carambola) sometimes. I love the way the crosscuts look on a fruit platter, but I have never had one that tastes good at all.

The bananas fluctuate in price, high if a cyclone hits up north. It's not so much tariffs that makes the price high relative to say the US, but rather disease control. All are bananas are grown in Australia. Cavendish are about $3 kg at the moment, my favourite lady fingers are double that.

Yes, we can get finger limes at farmers markets. Star fruit don't taste of much, they're the shiritake noodle of the fruit world :)

edit to add - I've heard of quandongs but not snowberries. Haven't seen either.

sartoric

sartoric

4 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

@sartoric,

I believe I read somewhere that bananas are pretty expensive in Australia, due to legislative support for local growers of this crop that bars imports. I seem to remember $9.00 a pound, which is insane to us who pay from 39 to 69 cents a pound for them.

You are fortunate to have good local mangoes. I love that fruit. In fact, I love a lot of fruit. Most of it is so good without doing a thing to it except to wash it.

Do you ever get finger limes, quandongs, carambola or snowberries? I will probably never see any of these in real life except we can get starfruit (carambola) sometimes. I love the way the crosscuts look on a fruit platter, but I have never had one that tastes good at all.

The bananas fluctuate in price, high if a cyclone hits up north. It's not so much tariffs that makes the price high relative to say the US, but rather disease control. All are bananas are grown in Australia. Cavendish are about $3 kg at the moment, my favourite lady fingers are double that.

Yes, we can get finger limes at farmers markets. Star fruit don't taste of much, they're the shiritake noodle of the fruit world :)