• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 3)

Kim Shook

2 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

A thought from this saddens me:  last spring, during the lull in COVID and after being vaccinated, we had an electrical emergency at work, and I stayed with our manager until an electrician could be found who would come make a temporary repair.  As we were leaving she mentioned she was going to eat at the local restaurant, and would I like to join her?  It was 8:30, but still daylight, so maybe that counts as a late lunch?

That is the only time I've been in a restaurant since COVID.  The kind woman resigned and left four days ago.

We have only been to one restaurant as well.  We were a group of 8 and were the only diners there.  This place only took one reservation for lunch.  Before the pandemic, we'd go out for lunch fairly often and I miss it.

• Like 4

Ive had three take-outs from

Thai Noodle.

total.   im very pleased there are still here

and the Duck w thai basil and curry leaves ( broad rice noodles )

is still as tasty as ever Im told

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

A thought from this saddens me:  last spring, during the lull in COVID and after being vaccinated, we had an electrical emergency at work, and I stayed with our manager until an electrician could be found who would come make a temporary repair.  As we were leaving she mentioned she was going to eat at the local restaurant, and would I like to join her?  It was 8:30, but still daylight, so maybe that counts as a late lunch?

That is the only time I've been in a restaurant since COVID.  The kind woman resigned and left four days ago.

We’ve only been doing delivery/take out. I’m high risk due to medications so we’re just being extremely cautious. I feel like we’ll never be able to just go to a restaurant again at the rate things are going. Seems like every time things start to get better people throw all caution to the wind and we have another surge.

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

I've been eating out some since I've been vaccinated last year...every couple weeks...not in crowded places...tuned to local covid activity.

And generally in better restaurants.

So far so good.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We were invited to a restaurant by a client of mine to celebrate a very large project last summer.  It was during a lull in COVID and we were under the impression it was outdoors on a patio - not so for a 'large' party of 6.  After much grumbling and deliberation we decided to chance it and ate indoors (there were maybe 15-20 other diners many feet away and they had a large overhead door open to the patio).  Everything was fine, but have not ventured out since.

With a 4 year old who cannot get her vax yet and a 97 year old grandmother, I am just not willing to chance it.  We do order in every couple weeks but that to me at least, is fairly low risk given the airborne transitive nature of the beast.

COVID anxiety is a real thing though.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, gfweb said:

I've been eating out some since I've been vaccinated last year...every couple weeks...not in crowded places...tuned to local covid activity.

And generally in better restaurants.

So far so good.

This is what we've been doing, too.  We've backed away from places that seemed crowded or if the wait staff wasn't masked.  

• Like 4

@Kerry BealAnd I had lunch from the Egyptian restaurant in Burlington, Karioki Lounge

AA5FE49E-2217-463B-8AF6-FBA5CE254E08.thumb.jpeg.a7ec2b3b14040719678c5130bd0f6945.jpeg

7B90B3D6-27E7-4C8D-8047-E21F0B6EC0A2.thumb.jpeg.19113045f003e2498f3f73636b02a583.jpegAs the dishes were packaged. Kerry‘s chicken is the first photograph and my liver is the second. (Well not really my liver. I’m hanging onto that,)

AA855218-0468-4551-89D5-C098CEA995CF.thumb.jpeg.8b62828cbea014c86ca0e6b6568bac28.jpeg

Kerry‘s plate. 

EBD580D2-3CF8-48FE-905A-0B32CD2E344F.thumb.jpeg.effd080531cd387833b21d946f28a4e7.jpeg

My plate. 

42BDE835-1F80-42A4-ADE2-BC823AE0738D.jpegDessert! 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I wish I had access to an Egyptian restaurant! That bosbossa (sp?) looks good. So does the chicken.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

I wish I had access to an Egyptian restaurant! That bosbossa (sp?) looks good. So does the chicken.

I did not order the desserts so I do not know which is which but they struck me as being very similar one to another. I cannot say that I was a fan of either. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

We decided to try a new Thai restaurant today.
Thai Smile.

Not sure that it will remain on our rotation. Certainly not up to some standards we have had in the past. 

6BA1E8DD-1F69-4189-8F84-A0A4E4838EE5.thumb.jpeg.0e53c306b0571fbddf6714eb0fc25b10.jpegFor Kerry —Thai chicken soup.

009FFF79-E99B-4833-9A19-1F67DD6772E3.thumb.jpeg.619d9f41e21b32f7c6ee658c1e17816f.jpeg

Calamari and Thai red curry. 

0B869AE8-89CD-415C-B960-3DB836535F31.thumb.jpeg.05ff0d49f24d716908154e40e7e4dbd1.jpeg

for me – – calamari and Thai chicken salad which had it being a little more carefully balanced would have been great laarb. It was close enough that I would happily order it again. 

79DCF69C-B1BD-4B28-9049-6B4522AD89E4.thumb.jpeg.860b9d5bb030d6ce6bcab0ece19c4f25.jpeg

Sticky rice and mango. The mango was excellent – – the sticky rice not quite so much. Not often that you need a knife and fork to eat rice!

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday was a holiday in Ontario, Family Day. Choices of restaurants that were open were quite limited. We settled on The Famous Owl of Minerva.  This is a chain of Korean restaurants and a franchise recently opened in Oakville. 

DDE26394-65F2-4705-99AF-5641F5FF5C7A.thumb.jpeg.b8d13447e0c877f212b8fbab05914f0b.jpeg  @Kerry Bealhad the pork bone soup. I tried it as leftovers and was not too impressed. Pork bone soup is challenging to eat and is best enjoyed with close friends or family!

EB5C17D0-B60B-4D37-87EF-218C425FA5D8.thumb.jpeg.db8de58c8bb5447d23a27eef6ff90c57.jpeg
I had the kimchi soup which was quite satisfactory. I found the  banchan  to be overly sweet. 
lots of leftovers!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@Kerry Beal came over to my house today stopping to pick up lunch from the Egyptian restaurant, Karaoka. This was the best meal I have enjoyed in some time. C306041E-D109-4F53-824B-16CBAD30B1C2.thumb.jpeg.d25e9bff8061677ddaf2c7b8d264939e.jpegfor me grilled lamb chops, rice, pickles and a Fattoush salad. 

69FE2547-716C-4F20-87FC-2D119AD25D47.thumb.jpeg.da8ba0cca80d370f6cd9b9bb4c6e4765.jpegFor Kerry chicken escalope with fries. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

Ahh … the classic Pharao Special 🥳

Mummy said it would be good. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
  • Sad 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Joke all you like...but how I wish we had an Egyptian restaurant or snack stand here in northern Minnesota! (I'd forgotten all about chicken escalope! Must try to make that soon.)

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown