• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 3)

Kim Shook

5 hours ago, lindag said:

My friend and I who are also 'ladies who lunch' (and often breakfast together) went to our nearby cafe  yesterday.

Surprisingly, their wonderful salad bar is finally open again after nearly a year and they told us they've opened up their Sunday buffet once again.  

Our governor has lifted nearly all restrictions.  I sincerely hope this is going to end well. 

Forgive me, all I could think of was Adam Driver's iconic line in The Dead Don't Die.  And thanks to you I just bought the Blu-ray.

If you were wondering, it doesn't.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...

@Kerry Bealand I were discussing getting together at my house for lunch tomorrow when I realized that I had not even posted our last lunch which was a week ago. 

We decided we would continue supporting our small Vietnamese restaurant.

54160EB6-C20F-4F01-8ABE-670448DE5724.thumb.jpeg.141a305f85e866b345ac43bd085effde.jpeg

Kerry‘s lunch. Hardly to be believed but the restaurant had run out of rice! Kerry was quite happy to have the meat lovers dish served over a salad!

C4B3AB6B-3B1F-4728-8A2F-88EA7F0498CA.thumb.jpeg.9dbf4753acf87959b620a9d756a61ffd.jpeg

The Wednesday special was this soup with dumplings and lots of vegetables and noodles. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

We managed lunch again this week although we were too lazy to take it out of the containers! This time it came from a small chain serving Mediterranean-style food (Montforts).  

1F9270CF-52B8-40B9-8E18-870F1F8B3AE5.thumb.jpeg.2304a1076fa5c858f9ceb284fe29a5c7.jpeg

For  Kerry: calamari and kibbeh with salad. 

6597A248-031A-4054-AB23-71FC411D3DFC.thumb.jpeg.19fa14945c38c534646b7cc3fcbf9610.jpeg

For me: calamari and chicken shawarma with rice and salad.

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

That looks good, as so many of your shared lunches do. I'm very glad you can get together to do the takeout lunches, and I look forward to the time when you can go out for lunch together again. Thanks for sharing your meals with us.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

There is a restaurant in Burlington that has been hiding in plain sight! Last week @Kerry Bealnoticed it when she picked up our lunch from Montforts. This morning I bragged to my son that we had found a new restaurant very close to him. He laughed and told me it had been there since he moved to Burlington some years ago! Not sure how it escaped our attention. Rose in the kitchen specializes in Turkish food. 

B1D8ADD3-7065-409E-A408-DE63F1D312AB.thumb.jpeg.0be0b2904f3d7190defb3d5e10ffac62.jpeg

Kerry’s lahmacun. 

C3C59BD1-E07B-4F0A-A249-74FCB6A79E70.thumb.jpeg.6e649b22fda10cb45b5bcd64a0d593cc.jpeg

C9489D2B-2187-40B9-A6D4-A217FD1101FD.thumb.jpeg.5f7a390810d7b53eb54aa1b216435f3b.jpeg

My lamb kebabs with a side salad. 

1B55FF0F-EB5F-43A0-AC3F-5ABFA52EA0FC.thumb.jpeg.4630f83325b1cf6351a004aac276a118.jpeg

A selection of sweets that we shared. 

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Well the lunch we had was certainly not the lunch we planned. I was quite sure I had found a new restaurant in Hamilton serving Peruvian food. When I suggested this to Kerry she pointed out that we had been in this restaurant previously. I foolishly argued. I should know better by now.

They offered a braised lamb shank which had my mouth watering. However, when Kerry called to order it she was told it would take an hour. That would not work for us. 

But in her travels Kerry had noticed another new restaurant in Burlington — Karioka

We really needed @Smithyto advise us on the menu. 

I was drawn to the liver having enjoyed an amazing Egyptian preparation of liver at another restaurant.  This was good but nowhere near as good as I had hoped. Kerry had the kibbeh and kushari. 

We ended up with many sauces. We needed help matching them appropriately.

FC2B99B3-856F-46B6-853C-FE8517127E7C.thumb.jpeg.5abee382db298c181369039fab0243b2.jpeg

C609E208-5B93-42DE-AD48-2962B5F6B367.thumb.jpeg.9495bda1d21774fa622314f14ab72b05.jpeg

Calamari

18EC0DB0-1868-49B1-B001-4AD7D7308B12.thumb.jpeg.e5ae23d4703c1069f8ef01c2283a7d9a.jpeg

Kibbeh. 

144C4078-659B-44AC-873F-4B9DACD4A92D.thumb.jpeg.a8873674b8e0e73757ad4b7b3d6ff49b.jpeg

Kushari. 

E40707FB-59EF-45E3-AF2B-A0D3562862B5.thumb.jpeg.17e944cb8bd129db0e5600cd61271a96.jpeg

Liver. 

55E9CAB4-0BF4-4C08-A868-597226BDC700.thumb.jpeg.087db897fb5d459b29b12451a4090ced.jpeg

My plate. Please note no kibbeh and no kushari. I even made sure those leftovers left the house with Kerry.  

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

it seems every ethnic restaurant 

from for or five worlds over

is in the GTA.

nice. not so much the liver

does the GTA offer

Montreal Hot Smoked Meat ?

just asking.

"" Medium ? ""

platter w extra bread and pickles ?

• Like 2

I agree with @rotuts about the apparent selection in the GTA. I'd love to have been there with you! The menu looks quite promising. I can't say that I've ever had liver or calamari in Egypt, so I wouldn't have been able to advise you about that. What was wrong (in your opinion) with the kibbeh and the kushari? 

• Like 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

17 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I agree with @rotuts about the apparent selection in the GTA. I'd love to have been there with you! The menu looks quite promising. I can't say that I've ever had liver or calamari in Egypt, so I wouldn't have been able to advise you about that. What was wrong (in your opinion) with the kibbeh and the kushari? 

Absolutely nothing wrong with the Kibbeh - some of the best I've had - so many are a bit tough, skimpy on the filling. He pronounced it differently than I do - but I was taught to make it by a Palestinian so perhaps it's pronounced differently? I've not had kushari before and I did enjoy it. Where would the lemon with garlic sauce be used in this combination of food?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with the Kibbeh - some of the best I've had - so many are a bit tough, skimpy on the filling. He pronounced it differently than I do - but I was taught to make it by a Palestinian so perhaps it's pronounced differently? I've not had kushari before and I did enjoy it. Where would the lemon with garlic sauce be used in this combination of food?

It goes on the kushari. The kushari joints we visited always served up the bowl without the seasonings. At the table there would be a bottle of garlic/lemon sauce (the Egyptians call it "limoon") and a bottle of hot pepper sauce ("shatta" I think). We called it liquid blow torch. Holy smokes, that stuff was hot! I suspect that's the dark red container in the middle of your condiments.

Although the red sauce was hot, it was also delicious at our favorite place, with a delightful piquancy and fruit as long as it was used sparingly enough that we didn't sear our taste buds. One year I bought 2 quarts' worth of it to bring home to the States. That isn't something they normally do, but they were happy to fill my jars. I closed the jars tightly, double-bagged them in Ziplock bags, wrapped them in dirty laundry, double-bagged again...basically gave them the hazmat treatment to get them home without wrecking our luggage or the airplane. Two weeks later all the sweetness had gone away, and there was nothing but savage heat. What a shame! What a surprise for our Egyptian food party!

Edited by Smithy
Punctuation (log)
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, Smithy said:

It goes on the kushari. The kushari joints we visited always served up the bowl without the seasonings. At the table there would be a bottle of garlic/lemon sauce (the Egyptians call it "limoon" and a bottle of hot pepper sauce ("shatta" I think). We called it liquid blow torch. Holy smokes, that stuff was hot! I suspect that's the dark red container in the middle of your condiments.

Although the red sauce was hot, it was also delicious at our favorite place, with a delightful piquancy and fruit as long as it was used sparingly enough that we didn't sear our taste buds. One year I bought 2 quarts' worth of it to bring home to the States. That isn't something they normally do, but they were happy to fill my jars. I closed the jars tightly, double-bagged them in Ziplock bags, wrapped them in dirty laundry, double-bagged again...basically gave them the hazmat treatment to get them home without wrecking our luggage or the airplane. Two weeks later all the sweetness had gone away, and there was nothing but savage heat. What a shame! What a surprise for our Egyptian food party!

The red sauce was a rather sweet tomato sauce - nothing hot about it. There was one likely hot sauce - but I put it on Anna's plate.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

What was wrong (in your opinion) with the kibbeh and the kushari? 

Everything!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

I was drawn to the liver having enjoyed an amazing Egyptian preparation of liver at another restaurant.  This was good but nowhere near as good as I had hoped.

It looks good. But then I always think liver looks good. I've never eaten Egyptian liver though. Which animal?

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

9 hours ago, liuzhou said:

It looks good. But then I always think liver looks good. I've never eaten Egyptian liver though. Which animal?

Likely just Canadian beef. Can’t quite see us importing Egyptian liver.

My 2004 eG Blog

17 hours ago, rotuts said:

does the GTA offer

Montreal Hot Smoked Meat ?

I am not much of a fan. My husband certainly was. But it’s not in my knowledge base. I believe we have some very reputable delis. 

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Likely just Canadian beef. Can’t quite see us importing Egyptian liver.

I didn't mean I thought it was liver from Egypt. I wondered which species - beef, pig, lamb?

So beef. Not my favourite, unless it's calves'.

1 minute ago, liuzhou said:

I didn't mean I thought it was liver from Egypt. I wondered which species - beef, pig, lamb?

So beef. Not my favourite, unless it's calves'.

Beef. My favourite is calves liver but it’s not easy to come by. Used to be in every supermarket.  

My 2004 eG Blog

It could have been camel's liver, I suppose. I eaten camel, but not its liver.

All I can get here is pig and beef*. Of the two I much prefer the former. Haven't had calves' liver in decades. It got rarer and more and more expensive in London, as I recall. No sheep round here.

* Of the mammals. Chicken liver is plentiful. Duck slightly less so.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

3 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Chicken liver is plentiful.

I love chicken liver but for reasons that are completely inexplicable I consider it almost a different organ meat than mammal liver. I don’t think I am too far out. I notice that people who wouldn’t dream of eating mammal liver are quite happy to eat chicken liver. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I love chicken liver but for reasons that are completely inexplicable I consider it almost a different organ meat than mammal liver. I don’t think I am too far out. I notice that people who wouldn’t dream of eating mammal liver are quite happy to eat chicken liver. 

I agree.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

If chicken liver is prepared Jewish style, sautéed with onion, chopped with cooked egg, and a generous drizzle of cognac, etc I am usually happy to eat it, although some people just don't make it very well, and in that case I can skip it. If I am making Banh Mi and want the liver spread, I will buy a chicken liver mousse made by our usual haunt for cheeses, charcuterie, etc. But no, liver from mammals doesn't appeal at all. And I pretty much have stopped eating beef altogether. That bridge has sailed.

I do feel awfully guilty when I eat Foie Gras, but that opportunity has been scarce as hen's teeth in the last few years. Partly because it's pricey, partly because I don't go to those kinds of restaurants (or any restaurants these days), partly because it's cringeworthy to think about how it is made. But yeah, it can really be delicious.