• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 3)

Kim Shook

Just now, rotuts said:

Awesome Calamari

congratulations @Anna N

It really was awesome. I enjoyed everything at lunch today.  

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

24 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I'm with you @Anna N hold the truffle oil please.  To me it tastes nothing like truffles - it's just way too overpowering

Normally, I'd be with both of you, having jettisoned more truffle oil than I care to admit.    But I got hooked on the oil and salt at Amphora Nueva.    While waiting for service, i casually helped myself to a little cup of popcorn anointed with their truffle oil and truffle salt.   Then another little cup.   And another.    I sheepishly told the shopman when my turn came that "I'd come for lunch."    He told me that he was delighted because most of his customers dropped in after lunch and didn't feel up to tastings.

We bought small bottles of each.   I've happily used tiny amounts of each.

FWIW, all of their infused oils and vinegars are sublime.    I could drink the Blenheim apricot vinegar straight.    Husband is addicted to the blood orange EVOO for which olives are crushed with the oranges.

• Like 3

eGullet member #80.

50 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

While waiting for service, i casually helped myself to a little cup of popcorn anointed with their truffle oil and truffle salt. 

Did I ever mention how I felt about popcorn?

• Sad 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Did I ever mention how I felt about popcorn?

Hmmm.  If I recall correctly, it's similar to the opinion of a French postdoc I worked with.  She tossed her head with Gallic disgust and said, "Oh, I don't understand why you Americans love popcorn.  It has no taste and only a terrible smell!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Hmmm.  If I recall correctly, it's similar to the opinion of a French postdoc I worked with.  She tossed her head with Gallic disgust and said, "Oh, I don't understand why you Americans love popcorn.  It has no taste and only a terrible smell!

That is it in a nutshell or should that be a kernel?  I’m working on that Gallic toss. 

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1

My 2004 eG Blog

the only truffle oil Have had was inexpensive

possibly from TJ's when they had it

it tasted , or course , of refined Tunisian Crankcase Oil.

from which it originally derived.    

maybe , just maybe . an angstrom of truffle passed through it.

sort of like  Budwiser Beer :  "" BeechWood Aged "

I am pleased Ive never had the really good stuff.

that would put a magnificent whole in my budget for sure !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Haha 2

Yesterday @Kerry Beal and I were joined by an honorary “lady” who is the inspiration behind the blimp  campaign. He proved to be a delightful lunch companion.  He wanted to return to Bangkok Spoon in Dundas.  
C0616EFF-ECE7-4BD2-9A40-734A72FCEDE5.thumb.jpeg.efd60c4e16aa7237502abc9c989fb71c.jpeg

D5179983-8207-458B-8DCE-0B438E56554D.thumb.jpeg.57fc2c0cfc2422292d0e52b52d28aef2.jpeg

Cold sake for me. 

5ABE87BD-5DE6-4225-97EA-9437267FA0CC.thumb.jpeg.c29e05461c3378412fc975a4f34b7227.jpeg

Ginger tea for Kerry and our guest. 

Then we shared appetizers and desserts. 

B64F1B2C-B9CF-47F6-8F41-0F995119F235.thumb.jpeg.b4edf090de6fc6780db8b1b13db484b9.jpeg

Calamari. 

6E597681-077E-4A23-BF7F-408FF85494C3.thumb.jpeg.e15dd1cad69e02dc67debd2b28cb9a11.jpeg

Sticky rice with peanut dipping sauce. 

1B3B7D1D-DABD-40C5-BF10-4FE14F964657.thumb.jpeg.dc4490c9a7e0a3c82f08771592a5d314.jpeg

Deep fried hiDeep fried Thai Spring rolls. 

5D349969-6360-484B-8806-8F557A6B1810.thumb.jpeg.076c54365b8998fa6db65dbdab262e53.jpeg

Beef skewers.

D3A794DB-79B3-495D-B9E5-651DA128AF38.thumb.jpeg.40ba5c4b882bc9e701757b2f63690066.jpeg

honey bananas.

Kerry and I each took a bite from one of these and then burst out laughing as we both realized that we did not like bananas!

8DCB3DFD-A070-4855-A689-3A478EC72084.thumb.jpeg.d2c5ef4c01506b8a34de06370374ec0a.jpeg

coconut rice with mango. This was the dish our guest was looking forward to most.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

My 2004 eG Blog

I LOVE mango with sticky rice.  It could be my favorite dessert, and usually I'm a chocolate person... BUT - it is extremely dependent on using an awesome mango.  I've had decent mangos here in the US (the ataulfo ones, not the Tommy Atkins variety) but in Asia there are so many incredible varieties.  @Anna N Your mango looks good - it looks like a nicely ripe Ataulfo - do you know?  Or is the restaurant bringing in special mangoes from elsewhere?  I know that in NYC, the Indian stores will bring in Indian mangoes.  They sell them for a small fortune, but I had to try one one day.  I was disappointed - it was not nearly as good as some of the even mediocre ones I've had in SE Asia, forget the best.  I think it's because, due to the shipping, they harvest them green and "ripen" them on the way over, which is really not ripening but controlled rotting. I would kill for a good tree ripened mango right about now....

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I LOVE mango with sticky rice.  It could be my favorite dessert, and usually I'm a chocolate person... BUT - it is extremely dependent on using an awesome mango.  I've had decent mangos here in the US (the ataulfo ones, not the Tommy Atkins variety) but in Asia there are so many incredible varieties.  @Anna N Your mango looks good - it looks like a nicely ripe Ataulfo - do you know?  Or is the restaurant bringing in special mangoes from elsewhere?  I know that in NYC, the Indian stores will bring in Indian mangoes.  They sell them for a small fortune, but I had to try one one day.  I was disappointed - it was not nearly as good as some of the even mediocre ones I've had in SE Asia, forget the best.  I think it's because, due to the shipping, they harvest them green and "ripen" them on the way over, which is really not ripening but controlled rotting. I would kill for a good tree ripened mango right about now....

I would love to brag to you that I am a mango connoisseur. It is completely untrue. I thought this was a fine mango. It did not reach the heights of some mangos that @Kerry Beal. found in of all places Costco in Sudberry! Still it seemed ripe and juicy. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

• 3 weeks later...

IMG_1147.thumb.JPG.bb4e3817ded335c2da88eabcf54949c7.JPG

Today it will have to be the Lady who Lunches!

I had noticed that Hamilton has an Owl of Minerva that Anna and I have not yet made it to - I corrected that today - became a line of 1 and picked up Kimchi jigae. 

Next teleconference starts in 7 minutes!

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Today it will have to be the Lady who Lunches!

The other lady who lunches enjoyed9D7399F5-8F8B-4840-B7A9-F2829E3017AD.thumb.jpeg.5df6c01d77fc54d07a4c130e3d3d7081.jpeg

A leg and thigh from a Costco rotisserie chicken that my daughter just purchased washed down by a glass of white wine dropped off at my house by this very lady who is lunching at the Owl of Minerva. There’s a downside to your best friend being a doctor when you are one of the most vulnerable. I offered to get her a bell so she could wander around calling out, “Unclean. Unclean”. Sometimes gallows humour is vital to survival. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 12

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, Anna N said:

The other lady who lunches enjoyed9D7399F5-8F8B-4840-B7A9-F2829E3017AD.thumb.jpeg.5df6c01d77fc54d07a4c130e3d3d7081.jpeg

A leg and thigh from a Costco rotisserie chicken that my daughter just purchased washed down by a glass of white wine dropped off at my house by this very lady who is lunching at the Owl of Minerva. There’s a downside to your best friend being a doctor when you are one of the most vulnerable. I offered to get her a bell so she could wander around calling out, “Unclean. Unclean”. Sometimes gallows humour is vital to survival. 

And the reason that we were both doing leprosy research online last night. We do amuse ourselves!

• Haha 9

• 2 months later...

Lunch with a friend. Catching up over OKish Thai food (it's hard to get really good east Asian food in Israel, due to the lack of major immigration from those countries. There's a few good restaurants in the larger cities).

A nice and spicy som tam with sticky rice.

Shrimp and crab egg rolls with nice pickles.

A massaman curry with roasted potatoes and tofu. More of a phanaeng curry, in flavor, with lots of kaffir lime leaves (which i love) but not much of the warm spices that makes a massaman. Also a tad too sweet.

Phat kaphrao, which I was told was good and spicy. The egg was nice and runny, 

We had a couple of local beers, amber ale and a pale ale. Israel's local brewery scene is quite decent. I just wish we had better local IPAs.

IMG_20200604_143133.thumb.jpg.9aeac2d8ff943c2e9132b2a0512002ec.jpgIMG_20200604_143146.thumb.jpg.6cceff1b34678a915d990cc63e09d79a.jpgIMG_20200604_145035.thumb.jpg.368f2c5664eeea58fb246a61d97ad4a2.jpg

IMG_20200604_145041.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

• 2 weeks later...

@shain Nice meal. Beautiful little bubble holes on the injera. A friend told me last night that her mom's former caregiver dropped some off last week. I am on the giftee list.  They freeze well. 

16 minutes ago, heidih said:

@shain Nice meal. Beautiful little bubble holes on the injera. A friend told me last night that her mom's former caregiver dropped some off last week. I am on the giftee list.  They freeze well. 

They do freeze well, I bought a few to take home. An Ethiopian meal is on the horizon.

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

@shain

Nice looking lunches!

Well this is as close as it’s going to be for a while as far as the ladies who lunch is concerned. 

@Kerry Bealhad business in my end of the region today so she stopped by the Vietnamese restaurant in Oakville to grab me a Pork Wreck. 

6FA095DF-5DC8-48C1-8709-EFEC5DA4D25C.thumb.jpeg.2b2ef7c308086389d21b88dbc7c80e2c.jpeg

and while I ate it alone I knew I was virtually connected because she had picked up two more of these for herself and her colleague who was waiting patiently back at the office.

Menu.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Virtual connections are indeed the mode.

Anna, is your daughter in your visitation cocoon?    Or is she also in hand-off mode?    

Our son comes over for bsckyard visits, and we occasionally drive across town, park in front of his house and have tailgate to top of steps conversations.    Not grand but of some comfort.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2020 at 12:59 PM, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Virtual connections are indeed the mode.

Anna, is your daughter in your visitation cocoon?    Or is she also in hand-off mode?    

Our son comes over for bsckyard visits, and we occasionally drive across town, park in front of his house and have tailgate to top of steps conversations.    Not grand but of some comfort.

Sorry I missed your question. When you posted it we were all still in drop off mode but since then we have had a couple of visits while respecting social distancing. Still have not left the house since mid March!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

My 2004 eG Blog

• 3 weeks later...

what a welcome change this was! Today @Kerry Beal brought lunch over to my house and we had a very pleasant and very long visit, always observing social distancing!

The meal came from a place in Hamilton called The Arch Noodle House chosen because they offered scallion pancakes and Kerry was hankering after some. 

8186E6F4-4862-499E-B73E-B47FBF9F849D.thumb.jpeg.30c6aa97f79239ab5adf8fbd35538d4d.jpeg

vegetarian spring rolls. 

F402B89B-17D5-4B72-8E6E-6B8F4DC9DDAB.thumb.jpeg.72fac17e096a883e73e7fc5bcb15eef8.jpeg

Scallion pancake. Despite its name there was not a scallion to be found! Up in that right hand corner cucumber salad. 

0B1C52F9-5687-4D31-B344-EC87047DBEA8.thumb.jpeg.f75c9b1861bc625f62e9a64ff6b5eb94.jpeg

pan fried dumplings. 

115FA745-CEB0-4BEC-B1EF-8354219D3513.thumb.jpeg.c3a314ad9536fefd30e62606e4afc2a8.jpeg

sesame noodles. 

AA81F3D4-E13B-4929-AEC3-0BD79B717D26.thumb.jpeg.ac0b388ce49f3c6d687e4befb401c5ff.jpeg

My plate. Kerry’s plate looked almost identical. 

Edited by Anna N
was attempting to get rid of a ghost but appears to be still present. (log)
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog