• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 3)

Kim Shook

Just now, Anna N said:

Neither to be honest. Kerry neither encourages me nor discourages me even though she never drinks at lunchtime because she’s driving. And my daughter doesn’t influence me either. Today I behaved myself on account of the appointment which would follow immediately after lunch. You know how these doctors have a way of dehumanizing one. — LOL SOB (little old lady short of breath) .  Well I really didn’t want to add to their list ... LOL SOB and smelling strongly of alcohol.😂

Actually we use the term HBD (has been drinking) on charts. So you'd be a LOL with SOB and HBD!

• Haha 10

Well, I can't claim to compete with all the lovely lunches lately 😁, but I am a lady and I had some lunch:

DSCN0131.JPG.0f40936aed8ce091028a2753c373463f.JPG

Too many errands meant I arrived at Publix starving and thought I'd give their "Caesar Salad Chicken Wrap" a try.  Publix, if you don't have them, is "famous" for their store-prepared meals/sandwiches (there is actually a FB page that someone has put together to honor their chicken tender sub).  What I've had before has been just ok, so I don't really know why I chose this instead of soup.  It was...just short of ok.  For one thing it had carrots and grape tomatoes - who puts those in a Caesar?  And the grape tomatoes were whole!  When I would bite down, they just kept popping out of the badly wrapped end of the sandwich and landing on my dining room floor!  I think trying to put fried chicken tenders in a sandwich that is going to be served cold is a mistake.  The coating just gets soggy.  Also, the entire sandwich was seriously over salted.  And yet, oddly, no Parmesan flavor at all.  

I finally gave up and decided to just eat dessert.  I'd bought a chocolate/chocolate chip muffin at their bakery.  (No picture)   It was so dry, I actually choked on it.  Sigh.   I am now eating an apple.  

• Sad 8

19 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Actually we use the term HBD (has been drinking) on charts. So you'd be a LOL with SOB and HBD!

Interesting.    When I was last in ER I learned one phrase.    I was next to a loquacious middle aged man perhaps best described as no permanent address.    The doctor chatted him up familiarly, he actually asking her how she'd been.     Finally my turn, the doctor shook her head ruefully and said, "Frequent Flyer".

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Haha 2

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Interesting.    When I was last in ER I learned one phrase.    I was next to a loquacious middle aged man perhaps best described as no permanent address.    The doctor chatted him up familiarly, he actually asking her how she'd been.     Finally my turn, the doctor shook her head ruefully and said, "Frequent Flyer".

Ah yes - we have a lot of those.

For a thorough list of terms - find a copy of the book "House of God" by Samuel Shem. Required reading in medical school - totally offensive to some - including my clerking partner Tom who pictured himself Marcus Wallaby, MD. 

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Ah yes - we have a lot of those.

For a thorough list of terms - find a copy of the book "House of God" by Samuel Shem. Required reading in medical school - totally offensive to some - including my clerking partner Tom who pictured himself Marcus Wallaby, MD. 

So...the medical equivalent of Kitchen Confidential, kinda sorta?

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

15 minutes ago, rotuts said:

""  "House of God" by Samuel Shem "

yes required reading.

I knew two people from the book ,  they were more or less real stories

Apparently he was very depressed when he wrote the book - rereading it with that in mind coloured my perception.

Today @Kerry Bealand I returned to an old favourite in Burlington, Bahn Thai. They always had the very best crispy calamari and I’m pleased to say nothing has changed. It’s still the best.

024A7FE1-918D-44D4-A1FE-0AE851C166BD.thumb.jpeg.7f0ab9d25271e6216ab40c311226a43b.jpeg

Ginger tea for Kerry and I had a small glass of Merlot. 

CABAA8D2-0B35-4AAD-90B3-67CCD73272D4.thumb.jpeg.810448ab05d819d298e75629e75326f7.jpeg

Calamari. Perfect combination of crispness on the outside and tenderness on the inside.

48E0F306-F617-4CCB-B0AD-45D578A2C27B.thumb.jpeg.83a3f270b3b0ff0ccc7bec4433ee0a95.jpeg

Dry Penang curry with beef. 

D2947503-A6D5-4F66-816F-95295F9C44DE.thumb.jpeg.ce8a1768f52121731dd9e464eaeafbd6.jpeg

Shrimp in tamarind sauce. I could’ve spent the whole afternoon just eating these things.

But we had other things to do. You know why your Besty is your Besty when she not only takes you to IKEA, picks up a cart for you, and then, after treating you to lunch, takes you and it home and assembles it right before your very eyes. Now that’s a Besty of the very best kind. 

0BA44E19-3EA3-4A04-9CF6-6E9738543AB7.jpeg

forgot to post the rice. Yep 

Edited by Anna N
Post a photograph of the rice (log)
  • Like 16
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

But we had other things to do. You know why your Besty is your Besty when she not only takes you to IKEA, picks up a cart for you, and then, after treating you to lunch, takes you and it home and assembles it right before your very eyes. Now that’s a Besty of the very best kind. 

And where are the pictures of the cart?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Lunch out two days in a row! This morning @Kerry Beal and I went into Burlington for haircuts.  We decided, also for the second day in a row,  to eat at a little Chinese place that has a good reputation. It was closed yesterday and according to the website would not open until 3:30 in the afternoon. But, also according to the website, today it should be open at 11:30 so we were very enthusiastic about getting there. But once again it was closed. Not really sure what is happening there. When we called the message said basically that it should be open. Oh well. But we had another plan as always. One of the drivers from the limo service that Kerry uses to get back-and-forth to the airport had recommended a new, to us, pizza joint called Blaze Pizza. we decided we would give it a try today.

it is a very different merchandising model. You get to watch while they put the toppings on your pizza and carry on a constant one-sided conversation asking how it looks as they add each topping.  By the time Kerry had actually got the two pizzas that she ordered in her hands I, waiting at a table, had lost all sense of proportion and just wanted to scream. Who has that much flipping time to waste ordering a damn pizza?  I asked if we could take the pizzas home since they were already each in a box. (Needing to use the facilities might’ve had something to do with my impatience. Don’t ask!)

Kerry  said she had a feeling it was all going to be worth it.  And they were nice pizzas. Not for those who like a nice thick doughy crust though!  

24E72F71-7E09-44B4-B0F3-C64DE91AAD1E.thumb.jpeg.6a92489f8f3647583ab779575ba7984b.jpeg

two topping pizza – – pepperoni and mushroom. 

FF8FD7F9-3A12-4070-8FEF-1ACEF53D9638.thumb.jpeg.75e0bdee331e5a62f3eb080bca2cda6b.jpeg

Meat lovers pizza. I did enjoy this one.

We might do this again but only if we order it online for pick up!

• Like 9

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

27 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Lunch out two days in a row! This morning @Kerry Beal and I went into Burlington for haircuts.  We decided, also for the second day in a row,  to eat at a little Chinese place that has a good reputation. It was closed yesterday and according to the website would not open until 3:30 in the afternoon. But, also according to the website, today it should be open at 11:30 so we were very enthusiastic about getting there. But once again it was closed. Not really sure what is happening there. When we called the message said basically that it should be open. Oh well. But we had another plan as always. One of the drivers from the limo service that Kerry uses to get back-and-forth to the airport had recommended a new, to us, pizza joint called Blaze Pizza. we decided we would give it a try today.

it is a very different merchandising model. You get to watch while they put the toppings on your pizza and carry on a constant one-sided conversation asking how it looks as they add each topping.  By the time Kerry had actually got the two pizzas that she ordered in her hands I, waiting at a table, had lost all sense of proportion and just wanted to scream. Who has that much flipping time to waste ordering a damn pizza?  I asked if we could take the pizzas home since they were already each in a box. (Needing to use the facilities might’ve had something to do with my impatience. Don’t ask!)

Kerry  said she had a feeling it was all going to be worth it.  And they were nice pizzas. Not for those who like a nice thick doughy crust though!  

24E72F71-7E09-44B4-B0F3-C64DE91AAD1E.thumb.jpeg.6a92489f8f3647583ab779575ba7984b.jpeg

two topping pizza – – pepperoni and mushroom. 

FF8FD7F9-3A12-4070-8FEF-1ACEF53D9638.thumb.jpeg.75e0bdee331e5a62f3eb080bca2cda6b.jpeg

Meat lovers pizza. I did enjoy this one.

We have one here and I use their app to order - every time I have ordered my pizza is ready at the exact minute promised. Always amazes me.

• Like 2

Patty

@Anna N believe me, I can relate to urgent need for the facilities.*  But I can't understand the frustration with your speed of pizza service.

Here most pizzerias have warm slices available for hungry patrons in a hurry.  If one orders a whole pie the dough is shaped and topped and baked to order, in the presence of the patron.  Even so, the wait is not excruciating.

Last night at work one of my dear colleagues appeared with a couple fresh baked pies for her teen program.  Before throwing them before her swine she generously shared slices with her coworkers.  Many moons it had been since I'd had a taste of pizzeria pizza.  This particular pizzeria has been around longer than I've lived here, which is approaching forty years.  My slice was hot and cheesy, and looked every bit delicious.

I ate it, I enjoyed it.  But really, I didn't see the point.  Homemade pizza is so much superior.  I turned down a second slice.

*Food establishments in Canada do not have bathrooms?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Even so, the wait is not excruciating.

I wish I had timed the wait.  Had we been in a restaurant waiting for a drink order I swear we would’ve got up and walked out. As for the facilities I did tell you not to ask. 😂

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My 2004 eG Blog

13 hours ago, Anna N said:

One of the drivers from the limo service that Kerry uses to get back-and-forth to the airport

I thought she had a personal helicopter, I'm disappointed by this lack of toys.

13 hours ago, Anna N said:

it is a very different merchandising model. You get to watch while they put the toppings on your pizza and carry on a constant one-sided conversation asking how it looks as they add each topping.

This seems like putting a neon sign on their forefront with written "PLEASE TROLL ME". I would go there with the sole intent of driving insane the pizzaman.

Teo

• Haha 7

Teo

3 hours ago, teonzo said:

I thought she had a personal helicopter, I'm disappointed by this lack of toys.

Has to go in for maintenance every six months. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

My 2004 eG Blog

17 hours ago, Anna N said:

... One of the drivers from the limo service that Kerry uses to get back-and-forth to the airport had recommended a new, to us, pizza joint called Blaze Pizza. we decided we would give it a try today.

There is a Blaze pizza here in Thousand Oaks but I've never tried them.  

Their menu:

Downloadable_Menu_040819.pdf 

lists original dough,  high-rise and cauliflower crusts.  I'm guessing you had the original?

Not sure why I'm asking, except out of curiosity and for the sake of a conversation as I think I'm on the road to decent homemade pizza but should I give up, I may venture out in that direction.

54 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

There is a Blaze pizza here in Thousand Oaks but I've never tried them.  

Their menu:

Downloadable_Menu_040819.pdf 1.01 MB · 1 download  

lists original dough,  high-rise and cauliflower crusts.  I'm guessing you had the original?

Not sure why I'm asking, except out of curiosity and for the sake of a conversation as I think I'm on the road to decent homemade pizza but should I give up, I may venture out in that direction.

Yes we went for the original crust. I think the big draw of this pizzeria is that it offers toppings that are quite unusual in this neck of the woods such as pesto and white sauce and drizzles of olive oil! Pizzas are small compared to other pizzerias. You would need more than one large pizza to feed more than two people adequately in my opinion. From my observation while sitting waiting for Kerry a large pizza was being treated as a personal size pizza by most of the young people in there. It’s a novelty and I’ll definitely try it again but I don’t think it is going to be my “go to” meal by a longshot.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

I looked this place up

there are three in the Boston/Cambridge area

all seem near Colleges .

I remember Pizza in College :the person who divided the pizza into

" equal portions '  got the last portion !

very advanced were were !

was the pizza  ' fire-smoked ? '  i.e. smokey ? "

sees their Biz Model it to copy Chipotles :  all the stuff is their , you move through

the line and they add your additions.

So @Kerry Beal and I found ourselves racing against the clock yesterday. She had worked an overnight shift in Dunnville and had to drive back to her home in Burlington to take care of some business there before driving over to Oak Hill to collect me. Then she needed to do some clothes shopping and I had an appointment at the hospital at 1:45. Our first two choices for lunch were the Filipino restaurant with the fabulous pork or the equally fabulous food at Kamoosh in Waterdown. The Filipino place was too far out of our way and Kamoosh, because it’s such a classy restaurant, would take time to get our food to us. So we settled for Angel’s Diner and purely by coincidence learned that there would not be another meal at Angel‘s Diner! Yesterday was the last day the restaurant would operate under that name. 

817D0C2F-845E-4271-9997-059696B967B8.thumb.jpeg.60d1ad3597b1698b6de9c2c294bc3258.jpeg

Kerry had a cheeseburger. She quickly ditched the rather sad lettuce and asked for mustard and relish which one would think would come automatically with a cheeseburger. But she said it was not a bad cheeseburger all things considered. 

0247E76D-27DC-407C-ACBB-BE14B27C593C.thumb.jpeg.070a2d7ee9b0402abc2610c1756f24c4.jpeg

I had the liver and onions and should’ve been smart enough to say hold the fries and everything else!   I did enjoy the liver and onions but couldn’t make any headway whatsoever on anything else on the plate.  

Edited by Anna N
To change ketchup to relish (log)
  • Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

My sister and niece came from out in the rural area past Pittsboro to come take me out to lunch. It was so good to see them, as always. Sis wanted to go to Longhorn Steakhouse in Apex. I, of course, ordered a rib eye rare with a salad. Sis and niece went for the crispy buttermilk fried chicken sandwich that they only serve at lunch. Niece, who is a very good cook, in her own right swore she'd rather have that chicken sandwich than the steak. If There's a next time, I might try that sandwich. My steak was surprisingly really, really good, flavorful and tender. So delicious!

I had heard Longhorn was sort of downscale, but there was nothing wrong with my steak at all. There were original oils of Western scenes on the walls. I've seen "better" artists, including in my own home, but I've also seen a lot worse. I always love to see original art, so that counts for something with me. They have wagon wheel lighting fixtures, sort of chandeliers. Western sculpture and relief. Navaho blankets. It doesn't come off as tacky and that theme has a tendency to veer that way fast. I would go again. I was pleasantly surprised.

We talked about the wedding of one of my other nieces they are both shortly going to. We talked about the care and maintenance of horses and the merits of white hooves versus the sturdier black ones. The various desirable qualities of saddle pads came up, and we all agreed that they should be able to go through the washer and dryer. I got a definite laugh when I expressed my opinion that the thick pressed felt pads that can't be washed and wind up smelling like polecats should be kept away from me or better yet , burnt. I rode around next to 50 pounds of senior horse chow they had picked up at Tractor Supply. I felt connected again, if only for a short while.

And I got invited for Thanksgiving day, so Woo Hoo! I have something really good to look forward to. I hope it doesn't rain so we have time to go see the horses.

They were excited to show me a battery operated mouse toy they'd bought for the cats at Tractor Supply. Before they left, I dug out a Weasel Ball, battery operated toy for cats and dogs. Me and my husband bought a couple of these toys for the cats one Christmas, wrapped them up and I think we had more fun with these two pet toys than anything else that Christmas. I'm gonna look around for the other one. Maybe it's upstairs? I'll bring it to them on Thanksgiving if I can find it. It's really nutty when you have a couple Weasel Balls going with multiple cats. So much fun! I did find a nice blue frisbee I could send with them Saturday for the dogs to chase. 🙂

Sis will tell me what she wants me to bring for Thanksgiving dinner later. Maybe it'll be salad again. I brought a killer one last time with lots of optional toppings and lots of nice greens and ingredients. We both love salad. I also brought scalloped potatoes, so we'll see what she wants to do this time. It will be a highlight for me.

• Like 12

> ^ . . ^ <

Today @Kerry Beal and I and her other bestie (yeah you can have more than one bestie), had lunch at my house. After working a 24 hour shift in Dunnville, Kerry drove home in some pretty horrendous traffic, stopped at Denningers to grab a selection of meats, cheeses, pates, pickles and bread and then stopped to grab her other bestie who is visiting from Vancouver and then came to my house.  I did not have to lift a finger for my guests! I was the guest of honour in my own house I think!  It was just a wonderful lunch and a wonderful gabfest and I made some more great memories. 

30823BAC-287E-4F07-957D-AEE1D473A639.thumb.jpeg.8bdb0ec97692cc26f05c310bac838e6d.jpeg

Oh and did I mention there are enough leftovers to keep me from starvation for many days!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog