• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 3)

Kim Shook

10 minutes ago, TicTac said:

It appeared to have a pizza type crust - not the soft nature a naan should be!

Perhaps we are trying to compare apples and oranges. I may be on shaky ground here but this was an Afghani restaurant and I was hoping for Indian naan.  I suspect they are not the same.  

I thought it would be like this.

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, TicTac said:

Ah, so perhaps it was not touted as naan to begin with, but rather some flat Afghani bread of sorts.

It was most definitely labelled as naan on the menu. 

A search on Afghani naan does indeed reveal bread looking very similar to what we had. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Out with a friend visiting from BC at Maro's

IMG_5101.thumb.JPG.604ab229e39ab1d4cb863a34ad19eada.JPG

spiced tea with saffron sugar cubes 

IMG_5104.thumb.JPG.bb1f5ac98c0b87ba8f04dd88735f36cf.JPG

the fried cauliflower (Bella and the Beast) for me 

IMG_5106.thumb.JPG.855c0b74662198f15006702f5dc316c2.JPG

dandion onion potatoes and muhamarra for Cya

IMG_5108.thumb.JPG.418f352363e41e6770ad1f33a9f2c463.JPG

kibbeh

IMG_5109.thumb.JPG.9c6b4057f0c8c322931f8ead110f37c8.JPG

Fish

• Like 7

Today Kerry and I had business in Dundas so we lunched here at Bangkok Spoon.

We decided to share some appetizers. I washed down mine with a glass of Pinot Gris  and Kerry stuck with water.

image.jpeg.348d7ef091ab9d8d34dca41cdb666067.jpeg

Calamari

image.jpeg.8d52937c1525d9e1331487b1e70de257.jpeg

Shrimp cakes

image.jpeg.7cd3edccd47133a7f20bc3144aacac54.jpeg

Coconut shrimp

image.jpeg.081816bdaf1dc88d74b48b1e2a78c79f.jpeg

Crispy vegetarian curry puffs 

image.jpeg.1eb39d370e9f50b0e7751bd9ec01148a.jpeg

Sticky rice and peanut sauce.

We were both quietly amused when a couple of ladies at a table beside us asked for chopsticks.  Apparently the staff are accustomed to this and produced chopsticks  without blinking an eye.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N...my husband was chastised (nicely) by a server at our local Thai restaurant as he fell prey to the "asian food = chopsticks" theory. He no longer asks for chopsticks at Thai restaurants and will take note of the lack of same on the table, to acknowledge his lesson learned!

• Like 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

IMG_0561.thumb.JPG.94affb9140e27969016bd69cb4e4ad4c.JPG

Lunch with one of my lady friends at a local favorite.

IMG_0564.thumb.JPG.8241fa80ea3610f205a600a6ccf00a99.JPG

The restaurant has expanded its outdoor seating since the last time we were here.

IMG_0562.thumb.JPG.7dcefd5dd20aad3d4a1b45e434961a5e.JPG

I had the Grilled Redfish with "Ponchatrain" Sauce and my friend had the Chicken Marisco (sorry, no photo).

IMG_0563.JPG

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 10

• 1 month later...

So these two ladies who lunch or back in town!  Today after some grocery shopping which brought me more joy than you can imagine  Kerry and I returned to Pintoh Cuisine (Tiffin? Remember?)

As usual we shared a bunch of  dishes. 

IMG_5681.JPG.3008621cefeedd43528d2977331abe59.JPG

This was a platter whose name escapes me and the menu online is not much help.   It included chicken wings, a salad, shrimp chips, cold noodles and the only disappointment-- some plastic pork rinds. 

IMG_5678.JPG.e1fb74ae0be700068deb7ffa2bc57665.JPG

Pla Muk Todd ( crispy calamari with Nam Chim dipping sauce) & Moo Ping (marinated pork skewer with jeow dipping sauce).  We both would've been happy with nothing but those pork skewers which were quite amazing. 

IMG_5682.JPG.0b8a11c59ac3b5c05950b69fc07a83e6.JPG

Duck Laarb.  Delicious but still there was some left for Kerry to take for a meal this evening if the alligators let her eat. 

This place is not afraid of a little heat or a little fish sauce. 

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

Those are some pretty anemic looking pork rinds. Everything else looks tasty!

• Like 1

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

7 hours ago, caroled said:

Those are some pretty anemic looking pork rinds. Everything else looks tasty!

Yes. I don't often speak up but on this occasion I did tell our server that these were quite unsatisfactory.

My 2004 eG Blog

I also like the shrimp chips, although until gullet I  had never seen them in their natural color.

When I was growing up in the south, there was a Chinese girl in my class and we both took piano lessons from the same teacher. Each spring at our end of year recital the moms were responsible for providing the sweets buffet for all the students, parents  and guests ,practically the entire county and surrounding counties were invited.

This particular girl's mom always made shrimp chips, and they were the loveliest pastel colors. She always fried enough to fill 2 flats such as a case of beer came on that she had wrapped in foil and lined with paper towels. Most people were put off them by the name alone, and the color I suppose, but I found them to be so exotic that at the  end of the evening the mom always sent an entire box of them home with us as we seemed to be the only ones that enjoyed them.

Sorry, and I hope I didn't hijack the thread, but every time I see you have these it brings back fond memories.. 

• Like 5

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

On 21/06/2017 at 10:02 AM, Anna N said:

It was most definitely labelled as naan on the menu. 

A search on Afghani naan does indeed reveal bread looking very similar to what we had. 

For what it's worth, your naan looks rather like the Uyghur bread from Xinjiang (far west China) which is also called 'naan', and is different from Indian naan.

• Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Today Kerry and I found our way to Royal Pho  in Ancaster  after some serious retail therapy in our favorite store HomeSense. 

Our drinks did not make it into the photograph.  Kerry had tea and I had iced coffee with condensed milk. 

IMG_5689.JPG.629f035ae6532b7af2a2835f57e575d1.JPG

Crispy calamari.  This was amazing stuff and I wished that I could send some over to @rotuts

IMG_5691.JPG.c6728e74b04f55ed75d498564f011c97.JPG

Kerry's meal was a grilled pork chop with chicken and fried egg. 

IMG_5693.JPG.d1c0020a4f3955292e157bba274217b3.JPG

I had vermicelli noodles with grilled pork, chicken and a spring roll. IMG_5692.JPG.2dfec875849e0c1bfb7f078ca0410efd.JPG

Soup and dipping sauces.  

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

Kerry asked me to post this teaser photograph.  And when Kerry asks, I oblige. xD

IMG_5771.JPG

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

11 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Well that certainly looks good!

But you must've noticed there is only one!

• Confused 1

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I figured that was Kerry's milk with a bit of tea in it.

Nope that is Kerry's cappuccino. But Kerry does enjoy her milk with a little tea and not the other way around. :D

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_1199.thumb.JPG.d74b4eab89ae976915f39d9ce363776c.JPG

White wine for me.  

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

54 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N  

now you're talking !

hopefully from a decent sized Carafe !

How about a 4 L box?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog