• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

During my (extremely brief) time in China and SE Asia in general, I'd agree that I never noticed any splintered bones - even though it was quite common to find a leg piece (for example) cut crosswise into 2-3 pieces.  I think my local NYC places, no matter how "authentic," have extremely blunt cleavers...

My lovely chicken vendor lady in the market chops my chicken. Never a splinter.

(But I have to be careful - "chicken lady" in Chinese is also slang for a prostitute, which I'm sure she isn't!)

liuzhou

liuzhou

51 minutes ago, KennethT said:

During my (extremely brief) time in China and SE Asia in general, I'd agree that I never noticed any splintered bones - even though it was quite common to find a leg piece (for example) cut crosswise into 2-3 pieces.  I think my local NYC places, no matter how "authentic," have extremely blunt cleavers...

My lovely chicken vendor lady in the market chops my chicken. Never a splinter.

(But I have to be careful - "chicken lady" in Chinese is also slang for a prostitute, which I'm sure she isn't!