• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

Numerous spelling and grammar errors.

Today, @Kerry Beal  and I headed out to North York in search of a Japanese dollar store, Oomomo.  Since it was on the way past Goûter, member @Alleguede‘s lovely Patisserie,  and since we knew it was his birthday today, we stopped in with our best wishes. I left with one of his incredible kouign amanns.  Sorry, I should have taken a photograph but where it is now would belong in a medical text,  not here.

We found the Japanese dollar store and I have posted about it and its own newly created topic.

But after out wander through this Crystal Palace-sized emporium we were surely ready for some sustenance. 

Within a three minute walk of the store, Memories of Japan , called out as having possibilities. It might better have been named Faded Memories of Japan since in certain ways it was hardly reminiscent of Japan. And yet we enjoyed our food. 

The first clue that perhaps we were not in the most capableof hands was noted by Kerry. Our server, though pleasant enough, found it challenging when we didn’t order by number as it were.  I don’t know about you but number 10 and number 19 don’t sound  nearly as appetizing as Beef Sashimi and  Mixed Tempura.  Ultimately  ordering by number seemed likely to be the most efficient way to make sure that our order was transmitted to the kitchen correctly.  I am sure there is a perfectly valid reason for the numbering of dishes on the menu, I just think the staff should also know the dishes by name.  But that’s just being ornery I guess. 

Once again we decided to share a few appetizers. 

180F8AB8-7EA1-474D-8610-E4AE79944CE2.thumb.jpeg.7c3d2ce3c4113a81d65e7e193251858e.jpeg

Tea for Kerry, as usual.  Sake for me.

8A0116EE-F98D-4109-897B-9A9DA888DA0B.thumb.jpeg.097c0082b4fc2f8388c6d8f0d896ccc7.jpeg

Beef sashimi. And this is where you know that their memories of Japan are rather badly faded. The beef was tender and its accompanying sauce tasty but the beef rests on a bed of thickly sliced onion.  In the dimly lit restaurant, I thought it was a bed of iceberg lettuce. Not until I took rather a generous portion did I discover it was onion.  I am quite a fan of onion but I do think it should’ve been finely chopped and treated so that some of the sulphurous notes were muted.

F79A983C-1639-4E99-B863-938516FA9532.thumb.jpeg.c46df66659398a5aaf373219ee414e14.jpeg

Mixed tempura in the foreground and pork tonkatsu in the rear. 

C566DBE6-ABEC-492A-9D0A-B777F91B4F67.thumb.jpeg.4481c60e3e9251ac3f92ce02c3e9ca3b.jpeg

The fried calamari was very tender but again the presentation is very  un-Japanese. 

All in all it was a pleasant lunch and we did get to do some people watching.  

Anna N

Anna N

Today, @Kerry Beal  and I headed out to North York in search of a Japanese dollar store, Oomomo.  Since it was on the way past Goûter, member @Alleguede‘s lovely Patisserie,  and since we knew it was his birthday today, we stopped in with our best wishes. I left with one of his incredible kouign amanns.  Sorry, I should have taken a photograph where it is now would belong in a Medical text not here.

We found the Japanese dollar store and I have posted about it and it’s own newly created topic.

But after how are wonder through this Crystal Palace-sized  emporium we were surely ready for some sustenance. 

Within a three minute walk of the store, Memories of Japan , called out as having possibilities. It might better have been named Faded Memories of Japan since in certain ways it was hardly reminiscent of Japan. And yet we enjoyed our food. 

The first clue that perhaps we were not in the most capable hands was noted by Kerry. Our server, though pleasant enough, found it challenging when we didn’t order by number as it were.  I don’t know about you but number 10 and number 19 don’t sound  nearly as appetizing as Beef Sashimi and  Mixed Tempura.  Ultimately  ordering by number seemed likely to be the most efficient way to make sure that our order was transmitted to the kitchen correctly.  I am sure there is a perfectly valid reason for the numbering dishes on the menu I just think the staff should also know the dishes by name.  But that’s just us being ornery I guess. 

Once again we decided to share a few appetizers. 

180F8AB8-7EA1-474D-8610-E4AE79944CE2.thumb.jpeg.7c3d2ce3c4113a81d65e7e193251858e.jpeg

Tea for Kerry, as usual.  Sake for me.

8A0116EE-F98D-4109-897B-9A9DA888DA0B.thumb.jpeg.097c0082b4fc2f8388c6d8f0d896ccc7.jpeg

Beef sashimi. And this is where you know that their memories of Japan are rather badly faded. The beef was tender and its accompanying sauce tasty but the beef rests on a bed of thickly sliced onion.  In the dimly lit restaurant, I thought it was a bed of iceberg lettuce. Not until I took rather a generous portion did I discover it was onion.  I am quite a fan of onion but I do think it should’ve been finely chopped and treated so that some of the sulphurous notes were muted.

F79A983C-1639-4E99-B863-938516FA9532.thumb.jpeg.c46df66659398a5aaf373219ee414e14.jpeg

Mixed tempura in the foreground and pork tonkatsu in the rear. 

C566DBE6-ABEC-492A-9D0A-B777F91B4F67.thumb.jpeg.4481c60e3e9251ac3f92ce02c3e9ca3b.jpeg

The fried calamari was very tender but again the presentation is very  un-Japanese. 

All in all it was a pleasant lunch and we did get to do some people watching.