• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rancho Gordo in the NYT... again!!

johnnyd

14 minutes ago, Alex said:

I got RG's newsletter this morning and saw that Steve decided to open up lots more spots. After taking care of the waiting list, etc., there were just 75 available, so I jumped on it.

Good for you - I got the same newsletter and debated too long!  Ah well, it's OK.  I have a pretty good stash of RG beans on hand at the moment. 

• Like 1

Just now, blue_dolphin said:

Good for you - I got the same newsletter and debated too long!  Ah well, it's OK.  I have a pretty good stash of RG beans on hand at the moment. 

I some RG's stashed too....but one can never have too many :D

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I some RG's stashed too....but one can never have too many :D

Agreed. I also have a few pounds in the pantry, but I subscribed, in part, to "force" myself to eat more beans. It's easy to forget about them -- out of sight, out of mind, and all that, and I don't want to keep the jars out on the counter. Knowing that more beans will showing up on my doorstep every three months should, I hope, keep them more in mind.

• Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

11 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

When I got the newsletter I didn't debate, I went to the Rancho Gordo site.  But that's what I get for sleeping late.

Speaking of debate, I was in a discussion with a colleague at work about bean pots.  She advocated for her bean pot and I advocated for mine.  After some while we realized both of us had bean pots from Rancho Gordo and she concluded:  "I think we have the same bean pot."

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

it's been wild. We opened up 1,000 spaces but we had a 2,100 waitlist. Then the article came out. We have spaces open up every quarter so the waitlist is your best bet. 
The Bean Club is fun but we have plenty of other beans. Plenty! 

• Like 6

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

19 hours ago, rancho_gordo said:

it's been wild. We opened up 1,000 spaces but we had a 2,100 waitlist. Then the article came out. We have spaces open up every quarter so the waitlist is your best bet. 
The Bean Club is fun but we have plenty of other beans. Plenty! 

(ps--you do not look like a bean)

(pps--and I am not sucking up in order to get a spot in the bean club)

:ph34r:

xD

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

• 2 weeks later...