• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2017)

blue_dolphin

Ready for lunch but it will be light and simple.  Maybe PB with no J.  We have a bunch in preparation of Irma.  Spent much time in my yard and helped my neighbor cut and haul to the street 2 20-30 foot queen palms that fell in his yard missing his house by a couple feet.   He told me the wind was blowing south when they fell.  The direction towards my house.   Yikes!!!  Good thing gravity was in my favor

• Like 3

I dropped off a bag of surplus tomatoes and peppers to my ex-cube mate yesterday and took the occasion to grab some take out sushi, only to wonder why I had not done this sooner. The restaurant owner, always friendly, shook his head and smiled at me, as he made his favorite comment, because I always get "Same thing!"

HC

IMG_0638.thumb.JPG.62563db96340e2f6758cb19688aecd1e.JPGIMG_0637.thumb.JPG.4531b16ebd157fc8495057db916abe91.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 6

IMG_1804.thumb.JPG.7baed1dea0206077cd0ff52714cd985e.JPG

Bacon, broccoli and cheese. 

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Today's lunch was a chicken patty from the freezer along with a potato bun, lettuce, slice of Swiss, thin slice onion, mayo and thin slices of a pretty decent tasting Roma tomato.

Pretty good.  I prefer Banquet brand patties when I can find them.  Some brands are way under-seasoned

• Like 3

Quick, late lunch at Sawa Mediterranean Restaurant and Grill in Houston's Clear Lake Area

IMG_0729.thumb.JPG.e1471a1757f891590a63629ed749d8b9.JPG

Chicken Shawarma with Garlic Sauce for my husband, 

IMG_0728.thumb.JPG.0f4077ea0940097a580a202d7a4253b6.JPG

Gyro for me (there were onions and tomatoes tucked in there with lots of tzatziki sauce),

IMG_0730.thumb.JPG.f5fbea3d5dfaee4e24a6e4b04a669d27.JPG

and a small piece of housemade Baklava to share.

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 11

IMG_1871.thumb.JPG.e7f9b7d4dafa3897799c8cc1489d346a.JPG

A friend dropped by with some fresh tomatoes and some fresh corn.  I had managed to miss lunch and was hangry. 

Real food fast.  

Using the no muss, no fuss microwave method I was ready to dig into this within six minutes.  Unfortunately it was still too hot so I had to wait an extra two minutes.

Click

I cheat by cutting off the end of the corn before microwaving it. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 11

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_1891.thumb.JPG.c343b8199f4062ac0756013604651b0a.JPG

A bit messy to eat but tasty nevertheless. Tomato and cheese sandwich with one of the tomatoes that arrived with the corn that I had yesterday.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, btbyrd said:

IMG_6248.thumb.JPG.9da21f6d3a5152c55b982930bd4eb561.JPG

Yellowfin ribbons; spicy; avocado.

Are the yellowfin ribbons the petals of the rosette above?  Are they made from a gel?  It's very impressive, and I'd like to know more about it.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

It's just strips of yellowfin cut into thin strips. I was inspired by a dish I had a while ago at one of Jean-Georges Vongerichten's restaurants in NYC -- "The Spice House". When I ate it, the plating was different and it was served with different garnishes (I recall tapioca pearls). He also had a similar version at his flagship restaurant, with different garnishes, pictured below. After I visited The Spice House, I got Jean George's "Asian Flavors" cookboook, that had a recipe for Tuna Ribbons. Here's a snapshot from the cookbook:

59c46fbe062d9_FullSizeRender(26).thumb.jpg.485c2d05d3999dad7bc891e56f867562.jpg

I'd always been curious about getting that magical looking plating.

First things first, I did the ChefSteps "salgar" dry cure trick on my tuna loin. 

After the ice water bath, I blotted it dry, wrapped it in paper towels, and popped it in the freezer for 10 minutes. Then the slicing began. 

I used my Global G-17 27cm chef's knife on a Hi-Soft board I got from Korin. Sharp knives and good boards matter. Cut the tuna into thin strips, wiping the blade down with a moist side towel after every other cut. Once the tuna was cut, I placed it in a bowl with some sesame oil diluted with some neutral olive oil. The JG recipe says to coat them with canola or another neutral oil. Either way, you need to do that to keep the tuna ribbons from sticking to each other. Just prior to service, I dressed them with some quality soy sauce.

I wasn't really sure how to plate it. The Three Star Michelin Jean-Georges presentation looks freaking phenomenal in its highest iterations. Here's a pic that I found on Flickr from user Ulterior Epicure:

tuna_ribons.thumb.jpg.601c3a66b44cab1979acb15e54421715.jpg

I have no idea how that nesting is done. I have some ideas, but that'll require some more experimentation. But what I did was grab a ring mold and just layer it in one ribbon at a time. It sounds like it'd take a while or be complicated, but I layered all that in there pretty quickly and easily. I was surprised. To make things easier, I moved all the tuna ribbons from their sesame-olive-oil bowl to a parchment-lined sheet tray, with all the strands lined up the same way, which made it easy to grab each new one and layer it on.

The color of my tuna is in large part due to the soy sauce, but I used a light-colored high-sodium usukuchi soy sauce to keep it as bright as possible. The other factor is the lighting in my kitchen, which is garbage. But I'll attach another picture with better color and a different perspective just for good measure.

I will say that it was freaking delicious and very, very simple. It's basically just tuna, an avocado, and a sharp knife. I just wish I had had some radishes...

• Like 6

"Strammer Max": freshly baked rye bread (see bread thread), sweet mustard, Leberkäse, fried egg.

WP_20170923_13_44_44_Pro.thumb.jpg.8c8e5b6e4f2dbc842b08ed44e0b69657.jpg

For the bread I also opened some potted pork belly and a jar of "Zwiebelmettwurst" (cured meat with onions). In both cases the jellied juices from the glasses are fantastic.

WP_20170923_13_44_48_Pro.thumb.jpg.d9b849be9b083e5c27d97332ff52fe04.jpgWP_20170923_13_44_53_Pro.thumb.jpg.7a574c8dfea087e60a977eac09220863.jpg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 7

On 9/16/2017 at 12:01 AM, Doofa said:

Do you mean sprayed with butter. I have never seen one of those before. D

No, not sprayed. He had a brush which he wets with the melted butter sitting atop a warm grill and brushes (douses) the bread roll as in the pic

• Like 1

Late, very late lunch yesterday.

- A green salad, I wanted a green salad and I got all things green including the kitchen sink: 

Green beans - asparagus tips - arugula - lettuce - avocado - green wild thyme - chopped parsley and few pomegranate seeds. The dressing is simple EVOO - lemon - S&P.

qfjagNK.jpg

- An Artsy Fartsy serving of minced meat (loaf) rolled around chopped spinach with a tomato concasse, pomegranate molasses and pomegranate seeds.

The second row is Italian style baby aubergines baked with mozzarella on a cushion of tomato sauce. A splash of yogurt/cream holds them together and don't ask why as some grated peanuts stand in waiting.

To be honest, the dish works and is very tasty.

sHm5GQD.jpg

• Like 8