• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

blue_dolphin

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2017)

Trio of salads, because they were there. 

20171113_124442-1.thumb.jpg.de9f723c68477139b1b8cc5f2b6800d8.jpg

Clockwise from top, Vivian Howard's pickled peanut salad with my tweaks (carrots and onions vs celery and bell pepper); jail slaw;  "Mr. Wasano's Indonesian Rice Salad" from Moosewood cookbook. All acid-based dressings so they keep well in the fridge.  

• Like 4

2141AEEA-D126-43CC-8904-5E3BF65AF10F.thumb.jpeg.c0b3ed08b951a39fdd7bc73783f99272.jpeg

Presidents Choice thin and crispy pizza with mushrooms garlic and cheese. Once in a very blue moon I buy a frozen pizza. Tonight must be a very blue Moon night. As long as you did not fall for the idea that  this was actually pizza it made a fine bite. But why is Canada importing pizza from Germany?   The mind boggles. 

• Like 4

Lunch was the liver from a duck I broke down this afternoon.   Fine dice shallot and thyme sauteed in duck fat before the liver went in and then finished with Armagnac

The duck will provide a few meals.  The breasts will be cooked tomorrow, the legs and wings are being salted and  will do a confit prep in a day or two.  The carcass made stock and the skin was rendered for fat and made cracklings 

• Like 2

Just now, scubadoo97 said:

Lunch was the liver from a duck I broke down this afternoon.   Fine dice shallot and thyme sauteed in duck fat before the liver went in and then finished with Armagnac

The duck will provide a few meals.  The breasts will be cooked tomorrow, the legs and wings are being salted and  will do a confit prep in a day or two.  The carcass made stock and the skin was rendered for fat and made cracklings 

One of my favorite cook’s treats. 

• Like 1

Still torn if I want to eat the confit  as is or make a rillette out of it which is what I had initially  thought of doing 

7 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Still torn if I want to eat the confit  as is or make a rillette out of it which is what I had initially  thought of doing 

Hmmm. Unless you bought a utility grade duck that is missing one leg you could do both.xD

I think I’m going to add some chicken legs to my next grocery order because they make a flipping marvelous confit also. 

Chicken is what I usually use for the confit dish.   

Lunch today was a bowl of chickpeas, salt, cumin and olive oil.  Kinda like a deconstructed hummus without garlic and tahini.  Working today and garlic breath is not a good thing when you’re inches away from a patients face 

6C626B45-15C7-4C32-931D-CAC43FC9AF89.thumb.jpeg.6e80a1d56b91241b1346d1dac7802b80.jpeg

Cannot remember the last time I ate in the food court and this could be the reason. For my last appointment of this week I found myself in the mall in Burlington and my daughter suggested we grab lunch in the food court. Possibly the very worst bowl of Ramen I have ever had in my life even counting the ones I have made myself. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

49417E22-37AA-4BC2-A04D-ED39F23DC19F.thumb.jpeg.688384d55f928cb546dd7884ab519439.jpeg

Soft Beef Taco - Warm Flour Tortilla, Seasoned Ground Chuck, Shredded Cheeses and Spicy Salsa 

B16FA283-7B74-414F-B3FF-0FA25D1DDD85.thumb.jpeg.56c1954020ca4d2d55cd78a3d2360f3a.jpeg

• Like 6

Went to a new dim sum place I've been wanting to try. Big bowl of ramen with shrimp dumplings, split a sampler plate with dumplings and steamed buns with a dining companion. Tea, frequently refilled. Lunch was about $10, left not quite half the dumplings on the plate, half the ramen in the bowl. Still full. Will go back.

• Like 1

I haven't decided if this was a watery fish stew or a thick fish soup but it was lunch.

5a0e738ecdb7b_fishstew.thumb.jpg.6826aaee75767a77144e01acdc015c9c.jpg

• Like 5

Stuck at home while we get a new oil tank for our furnace.  Trying out a sage sausage stuffing.   Roasted a few chicken breasts and pulled some cranberry balsamic compote to go with everything.  Oh, yeah and some green beans. 

• Like 1

Just back from a funeral service. I knew Regis well enough to say hello. He was the husband of Barbara, a secretary for the department head that I worked for some twenty years ago at The General Dynamics, Electric Boat Shipyard, where Regis was a drafting supervisor. Somehow,  she and I established a friendship talking about such lofty subjects as how to make the best Caesar salad, crouton making techniques, where to get the best bouillabaisse and on and on. In later years I worked for their daughter in law at a different company and made friends with thier son on the golf course. I had not seen her in over twenty years, but as I entered the church and approached her to reintroduce myself, she grabbed both my hands and said "We used to talk about food!"

On my way home, I was torn between taking my first taste of the Akvavit currently in my freezer, with some smoked salmon, or opening a fresh craft beer growler. I spotted freshly ground lamb as I was rounding out the dinner menu, and the rest was history. My first lamburger in several years with sautéed onion, sliced marinated mushrooms, tomato and lettuce.

HC

IMG_1249.thumb.JPG.0ccb19895f818f5f237e4253466cb1b0.JPGIMG_1248.thumb.JPG.8b51b436ef36d531636be313eaad81ff.JPGIMG_1247.thumb.JPG.21254a765176ccaf47c631c013738972.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 1

I made the major mistake of going to the grocery when I was hungry. I have enough cheese, charcuterie and otherwise to host a couple of decent parties, now. Lunch was about half of an Aldi panino, with crackers and pickles.

• Delicious 1
  • Haha 1