• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2017)

blue_dolphin

DSC03800-001.JPG.5fa359c4621c2de9b66f92335d9dfdfd.JPG

Today is one of those "spare-the-air" days in San Francisco, otherwise we'd make use of our real fireplace.

DSC03793-001.JPG.f9a2c290c071b50dc7d1a067b029049e.JPG

DSC03794-001.JPG.bb37d7e2b266764ccc581130ee930a5f.JPG

DSC03795-001.JPG.dfdb2fbb3b3ca0d6cf67e7084004a43f.JPG

DSC03797-001.JPG.9a093353f914675fed4eabec130c5bce.JPG

Birthday lunch for six:

Caesar's salad (made tableside, with romaine lettuce, anchovy, garlic, coddled egg, croutons, etc.)

Bouillabaisse

Chocolate dump cake

Christmas pudding with brandied custard sauce

Think there might be a couple more things I'm forgetting....

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

48928439-059F-4E99-88A1-C5A0D966701A.thumb.jpeg.e9bb479320c7fd3b09d832578886b0c0.jpeg

Wanted to play with one of my new toys today. Using the Instant Pot mini I made a beef stew with mushrooms, onions and carrots and then topped it with mashed potatoes also made in the mini. Potatoes milk,  butter and salt all went in to the mini and were pressure cooked for seven minutes. I then mashed them with lots of cheddar cheese, and spooned them over a bowl of the stew.  I  put the stew in the oven for 30 minutes. 

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

30 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Served over Instant Pot polenta, using my grandmother's dishes

I do love those dishes. 

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Merry Xmas.

Just pigged ourselves with a gold stuffed Turkey.

The stuffing consisted of Thai Jasmin Rice with Saffron cooked with mince Lamb and fried Pine Nuts - Almonds and Bay Leaves.

The stuffing included: 

- Apricots

- Plums

- Green Apple

- Loumi (dried Lime)

- Fresh Cranberries

- Dried Raisins

- Chestnuts

The Turkey rub was Canadian Maple Syrup Butter

The Turkey was wrapped in a giant parchment backed foil to keep the meat juicy and uncovered in the last 30mn for colour. The total cooking time was 5 hours+

The sides were:

- Yorkshire Pudding

- Roasted Parsnips

- Roasted Potatoes

- Sauted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Chestnuts

The sauces were:

- Fresh Cranberries sauce

- Turkey Gravy

Never mind the appetisers and salads and desserts. We were completely stuffed.........

zH0f07L.jpg?1

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Steve Irby said:

A little leftover gumbo.

d2017P1060414.thumb.jpg.3c2a8349d93e33aa3c3dd9c9cc741cd9.jpg

That is some fine looking gumbo...I love okra in mine, and those are some beautifully plump oysters.

• Like 1

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

Captain... that is a divine looking spread. When you say small, I wonder how many you served?  And pray tell, what is that fine looking leg of pork? on the board with all the meats? 

• Like 1

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

27 minutes ago, caroled said:

That is some fine looking gumbo...I love okra in mine, and those are some beautifully plump oysters.

Thanks,  I love okra too.  I bought a 25# box of oysters for the holidays and had some for lunch on the half shell and set aside some plump beauties to add to the gumbo.   

39 minutes ago, Steve Irby said:

Thanks,  I love okra too.  I bought a 25# box of oysters for the holidays and had some for lunch on the half shell and set aside some plump beauties to add to the gumbo.   

One of the things I miss about living in south AL, (less then 50 miles north of Pensacola)... all the fresh Gulf seafood.

First meal in Korea.

1KTeHk6.jpg

One cuts the kimchi with a pair of scissors.

UvKfpcY.jpg

Turnip kimchi and tender pork belly.

5RecGwn.jpg

This restaurant's speciality is mudfish soup.

PrM764Z.jpg

The fish in the soup (in a tank outside the restaurant).

IHZvRmh.jpg

I'm here to compete in 2 Olympic events.

L9iYiVL.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

I spent the greater part of the morning replacing my 10 YO garbage disposal. I spent more time sitting on the kitchen floor and reaching under the sink than I like to think about. I finally resorted to using a car jack to hold the new one in place and compress the seals while I secured the clamps. I decided, since I had skipped breakfast to go get the new one, to reward myself with some smoked salmon and a beer when the job was done. If you look closely at some of these pictures, you can see some of the parts the old machine has offered up as evidence of it's demise. You can just imagine the sounds it made!

HC

IMG_1623.thumb.JPG.1d78bc8af8f222f88e1eea0c3f24cdf6.JPGIMG_1621.thumb.JPG.5ca4bdbb8f15408d038ff2a5b0b775b0.JPGIMG_1619.thumb.JPG.35b0eff0956a87f2375065d2134d5bca.JPG

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HungryChris said:

You can just imagine the sounds it made!

I also have little difficulty imagining the the sounds you made —-  but we won’t go there. 

Edited by Anna N
Changed have a little difficulty to have little difficulty (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Me, I much prefer to imagine the taste of the cream cheese, the salmon, the onions, the capers...if not the IPA, given that I'm not an IPA fan (too hoppy for my palate).

I had a plate of leftover ham, raw veggies and dip. And two chocolates. Seemed to hit the spot.

I am presently making ham stock in the IP with the ham bone, and contemplating making a beef pot pie with the leftover roast.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Was out early with the intent to get a few dozen oysters. I have some nice hot cocktail sauce (in squeeze bottles) left over from  the Christmas luncheon that needs a purpose, but no luck. The oysters were too tiny to bother with. It was my second day without breakfast and I put this lunch together in my mind as I drove home empty handed. Toasted rye with cream cheese and olive spread, smoked salmon, pickled onions and capers along with the fried zucchini I would have had at breakfast. It's too cold to do anything outside so I decided to do something cold inside, and finished off the growler of Frank & Berry DIPA I opened last night.

HC

IMG_1641.thumb.JPG.7be6d664cecfd1cec2772e9f64a22dd1.JPGIMG_1642.thumb.JPG.90b6ff8c190e5595fd4021095c8bda7c.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 3

A live octopus for lunch.

YS6wUAH.jpg

A bit of a struggle to pick up the pieces with chopsticks as they wiggle constantly. One tentacle gets itself between the metal chopsticks in this photo. The tiny suckers also grip the plate so some strength is needed again if you want to eat it.

Bw4rkON.jpg

Another octopus goes into a pancake, a speciality of this city Busan.

JwiNAB5.jpg

The fish was alive 10 minutes ago...

euusoGw.jpg

The most important shellfish in Korean aquaculture industry and they come from here in the south.

4k2vejH.jpg

My octopus is not amused to be picked up, it however finds it amusing to squirt water at me.

YvNJjuO.jpg

According to the fishmonger this fish is in season at the moment. It's my sashimi now.

TVPqJtS.jpg

Korean eat a lot of oysters. I also.

a0QSBBN.jpg

---

Another lunch before boarding my train to Busan: "hangover stew with congealed blood".

ZSC5hps.jpg

I am a vampire.

zT2e4oo.jpg

Bibimbap with beef tartare.

ETAXf8U.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 6

17AFC230-763D-47A2-9CA3-7202CD645CE3.thumb.jpeg.04e494d86d6b03a6c17779408b3d4e77.jpeg

Roast pork shoulder with kimchi mayo on a homemade hamburger bun and some crackling on the side. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

Oh....goodness. I may die, I'm so full. And it was so good.

20171229_142249.thumb.jpg.ed9731a0b1e59ddeaaee448b330af8f7.jpg

Youngest daughter and I are road tripping and stopped by a diner for a late lunch/early dinner. Walking in, I glanced at another diner's plate and saw some scrumptious looking onion rings.

I ordered the hamburger steak platter, and asked for onion rings instead of the veggies. Got both. When I tasted the first ring, a little whimper escaped. Partly because it was hotter than hell, but mostly because it was the best onion ring I ever tasted. Ultra light, crispy batter, almost tempura style . Thick, sweet, cooked through with just a bit of bite left, onion. They were astounding.

Hamburger steak, which I got minus the gravy but with onions and mushrooms,  was better than a half pound, cooked. Mashed potatoes wanted some salt. I didn't try the green beans. There was a tossed salad, to boot. 

That, my daughter's grill chicken bacon ranch sandwich with fries, a coke and a cup of coffee, set me back the princely total of $23 and change. 

If you're ever traveling through Mountain Home, AR, and hungry, stop off at Brenda's Country Cafe.

Edited by kayb
To fix name of restaurant (log)
  • Like 15

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com