• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2017)

blue_dolphin

@blue_dolphin

I think mushrooms on toast might be dinner.

This time I only had the single glass of akvavit but that demonstrates extreme self control of which I am rarely capable. 

• Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I didn't have much of a breakfast and was hungry after running errands so I stopped by my local BBQ spot and picked up one of my favorite offerings - a choice 3 sliders:

IMG_6462.thumb.jpg.bac90b627617c909f6b92a93d40adfe3.jpg

My slider choices, clockwise from the cole slaw:  pulled pork, tri-tip and smoked meatloaf (other options were brisket, chopped chicken, sausage, turkey, and portobello mushroom.)

Hungry as I was, I came nowhere to eating all this food.  Dinner is taken care of and maybe tomorrow's breakfast, too! 

• Like 9

65023277-91F6-4FFC-A8AA-0E7C24CD2732.thumb.jpeg.7277176f4e33cd14c413c9685d8226bb.jpeg

My cleaning angel brought me some of her beef stew today which gave me the excuse to make some cheddar biscuits. 

• Like 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

7237E4BB-7669-4DFF-8917-9D42A4C2AE71.thumb.jpeg.eabe51070c590f05d2ee10d5a41d446c.jpeg

(Canned) salmon salad on a home-made bun. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

938E5FD9-1C80-471D-9D4B-C57BFAEE34A6.thumb.jpeg.c05b6ff13fb982904ce236fc3f8c60d2.jpeg

Unwedged salad. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

On 12/10/2017 at 12:07 PM, chefmd said:

Swordfish with red lentils, capers, brown butter.

IMG_0378.thumb.JPG.1839fdf8f94c7cf05febfaa243e7a112.JPG

Those are our dishes, too! We registered for them when we got married, nearly 19.5 years ago. Like all Corelle, they've held up remarkably well, even through a move from Ohio to New York.

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

1 hour ago, HungryChris said:

Still trying to find a herring that I like. This is the best one so far. I'm pretty sure this jar will get finished. Cream cheese on rye toast, herring in wine, pickled onions and capers.

Herring Tidbits in wine sauce are my go to  herring.  Try them topped with crispy fried shallots if you have a mind to. 

Edited to add

PS  where is the akvavit?

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

13 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Herring Tidbits in wine sauce are my go to  herring.  Try them topped with crispy fried shallots if you have a mind to. 

Edited to add

PS  where is the akvavit?

Don't think it didn't cross my mind, but was headed out the door to scout up something for dinner.

HC

• Haha 1

73788CF7-AF56-4C19-966E-3FC1338A4685.thumb.jpeg.6cb147053b87a3c699f4d879352d8870.jpeg

Wondered if this might be a bridge too far for me. It turned out to be quite good. This is charred radicchio and red onion wedges braised in coconut milk and tomato passata.  A Red Lobster biscuit from the freezer was the accompaniment.  Once  again thanks to Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

It warmed up to 26 F today and the breeze has picked up. Once I finished the driveway and walks, I came back inside for good.  Made Deb another chef salad for lunch tomorrow. Isuzu is buying lunch for the shop today, so I was off the hook.

HC

IMG_1531.thumb.JPG.1e3aba707007556745bc0062e375cc81.JPG

• Like 7

@Anna N - after seeing your posts with herring and Akvavit, I ventured to Bayview Village LCBO and picked up a bottle.  I asked the vintages rep if she had tried it, which she said she hadn't, but commented it had a 'cult like following'.

Mother nature clearly is cooperating as I just left the bottle outside all afternoon and sampled it now, as I prep Latkas for tonight (which I thought it would go well with). 

I have a high level of respect for anyone who can drink this straight!  It is hot!  I figured it would be a good cure for this nasty cold/sore throat, and it just might be that!  While I will have to try it again on cured taste buds, caraway is quite prevalent with a bit of citrus notes.  Curious to see what my taste buds share when I can breath.  Very dangerous (but interestingly tasty) stuff!

• Like 4

My bookclub decided to watch a movie instead of reading a book this month since no one had time to do that!  By request, I made @Jaymes caramel corn.  Big pile:

DSCN7720.JPG.787c718f0c37e0d1674a8afeed2938ce.JPG

That is sitting on a card table.  LOTS of good stuff.  Close up:

DSCN7721.JPG.3d9df8643760a3b3e0b0b574e4f5a6dd.JPG

This is the best caramel corn I've ever made.  But I've never gotten the hang of getting the nuts to stick to the popcorn.  They tend to congregate in the bottom of the bowl.  Since I was running late and giving someone a ride, this and a handful of Raisinettes was my lunch!:D

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1