• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2017)

blue_dolphin

Thick chicken soup with rice, leeks, garlic, ginger, carrot and chilli. Served with a piece of baguette (shop bought) for the holy ritual of dunking.

soup.thumb.jpg.84d43f6fe1cb464d4f6bba6cc7dd34b5.jpg

Followed by cheddar cheese and ham sandwich with home-made spicy mango relish and the same baguette.

sandwich.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

119AECCA-7179-408E-8CDB-4FBF514E5450.thumb.jpeg.f684c2f4766cd202380225989d413253.jpeg

Does this look at all like pizza to you?  Me neither.  Sometimes life does get in the way. 

Thinly sliced, leftover pork chop on a homemade bun with smear of lingonberry sauce and some dill pickles on the side. Pizza for dinner maybe?  Working on it

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Falafel, marinated zucchini, cold leftover broccoli rabe and tahini sauce. The was intended to be a pocket sandwich, but this particularly perturbing pita proved pocketless, so I soldered on with a knife and fork.

HC

IMG_1304.thumb.JPG.3ac18829b0d7886251afb4115b17afba.JPG

IMG_1307.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 10

A satisfying Egyptian lunch for a boring Monday.

This was a kind of lunch for one before my main lunch  :B.

The wifey was busy attending some conference of sort with Canapes, Champagne and the usual Choccies. 

1- Egyptian Taamia or called Falafel in other countries. The side is Tahina Sauce and of course Egyptian bread

OPFOqtH.jpg

2- Egyptian Foul (Fava Beans) drowned in EVOO. Yummm

6IHkQgM.jpg

3- Egyptian Koshari which is a mix of Lentils - Rice - Pasta - Chickpeas - Fried Onions and Vinegar based Tomato sauce ( with extra Lentils - Chickpeas and Fried Onions) Luv it.

BbWUKTM.jpg

4- The complete reveal

fh4jtTn.jpg

And if you have to ask, I could not finish it all but pigged out to the max  :D

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

Changing planes in Xi'an ... there is a nice Muslim restaurant (with a bit tacky decor) in the domestic Terminal. Light lunch comprised of "Chinese hamburger" Roujiaomou (as often praised by @liuzhou) and dumplings in sour broth. A nice snack between two annoying 3-4 h flights ...

WP_20171126_15_22_35_Pro.jpg

WP_20171126_15_06_59_Pro.jpg

WP_20171126_15_08_36_Pro.jpg

WP_20171126_15_12_07_Pro.jpg

• Like 10

@Duvel Having such a kitschy "storefront" in an airport would make the trip for me, to say nothing of that dumpling soup.

Not nearly as fun as xi'an dumplings, but lunch today was potatoes. The nephew who makes mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving dinner (a family tradition the way cement is traditional for sidewalks) left an industrial size bag of potatoes behind and I took them home. Has anyone heard of these: Albert Bartlett Rooster Potatoes? I've never seen them before. The package says they originated in Ireland and are now grown here and that they are famously "good for everything." As soon as I hear those words I'm pretty sure that means they are good for nothing.

Indeed they have very little flavor. On Saturday I made roasted potatoes with duck fat and even the duck fat couldn't quite elevate them. Today for lunch I tried a more aggressive tack: I mashed them, seasoned them heavily, added a boatload of garlicky chard sautéed in more duck fat, made patties and coated the patties with Panko. Then I pan-fried the potato cakes and served them up with two optional sides: leftover turkey gravy and a rouille. Not bad. And we have a few remaining for breakfast tomorrow. So I reckon Roosters need a good wranglin'.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Duvel said:

Changing planes in Xi'an ... there is a nice Muslim restaurant (with a bit tacky decor) in the domestic Terminal. Light lunch comprised of "Chinese hamburger" Roujiaomou (as often praised by @liuzhou) and dumplings in sour broth. A nice snack between two annoying 3-4 h flights ...

I was there in early September. Not bad at all!

• Like 2

No photos, but as my stomach seems to have gotten over being queasy for a couple of days, I found myself starving, and although I had a refrigerator full of food, I didn't want any of it. I wanted meat loaf. So I betook myself to the local diner, where I had peas, mashed potatoes and meat loaf. Cleaned my plate. Still full.

• Like 9

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Too many mentions of Ramen!   Best I could do was to gussy up some instant Ramen with a 90°C/8 minute egg and some kimchi. 

B3D8D67F-D074-45C0-B928-75445EC7BF43.thumb.jpeg.70d7fe4f32a13e71a6755bfb21913497.jpeg

• Like 9

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Today,  I had lunch with one of my oldest and dearest Chinese friends. She now lives in the UK, but is back to make care arrangements for her mother who is suffering from Alzheimer's Disease. So good to see her, but sad as to why she is here. Her mother was very kind to me in the past. Now she can't even remember who I am.

Anyway, we had a pleasant lunch together and caught up with each other's news.

Her mother and sister joined us for lunch.

We ate

20171202_143408.thumb.jpg.c8cc468b24f805fdef189f122f1ae0ed.jpg

Vegetable Soup

20171202_143335.thumb.jpg.91f1ede03a468c7189f0fe32e2ef6d41.jpg

Pork Ribs with Snails

20171202_143622.thumb.jpg.c14afa6eac1b8f66eea79b0c10d23f65.jpg

Sizzling Beef (铁板牛肉 tiě bǎn niú ròu)

20171202_144307.thumb.jpg.5760a8a6d32f6817e03682651de872db.jpg

Water Spinach

• Like 9

CF72B2A2-63FE-42BD-A124-6A2E7CEFE741.thumb.jpeg.bce257998e407792434c8d97907e8242.jpeg

Deconstructed bacon and tomato sandwich. 

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

My inner Austrian is satisfied again. Home made potato dumplings. There's coarsely grated Hokkaido squash in the dough. Pumpkin seed oil and seeds to intensify the dumplings even more.

npimgsq.jpg

Plain version of same dumplings, with Speck and Sauerkraut.

PTMtzbH.jpg

(Plain) dumplings with ground pistachio and poppy seeds. Fresh plums marinated in maple syrup.

vt2zbX9.jpg

Burrata, pumpking seed oil and grated salt-cured yolk.

grK65bb.jpg

Making yolk confit next time for a change.

8outA4R.jpg

Lunch in Düsseldorf, Germany the other day.

AZXGh4S.jpg

ziPWB3I.jpg

Slow-cooked pork.

1YsVgdI.jpg

Bratwurst from nearby Bergisches Land, with creamy chard.

Xj7YQnX.jpg

Schumacher Alt beer is quite nice, I can never just stop after 2. The beer keeps coming until you put a beer mat on top of the glass. This much of beer in the glass is as good as empty and the waiter will bring you another full glass in no time.

iU3ASNv.jpg

The beer is properly dispensed by this man.

H2Kqokt.jpg

OK, one more beer then we go.

HAUkTpa.jpg

The brewery restaurant.

r9CgSNr.jpg

QzK5BXK.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 10
  • Haha 4

Made a fish salad with leftover smoked steelhead trout. Tossed in some beluga lentils for a color accent and because they taste good.   

Had a bag of these lentils sitting on the counter when I got  an email from Chefsteps recipe for cooking them SV in a jar.  It was just too easy. Popped the jar in the fridge to cool  and now they are ready to be used in a number of ways 

image.jpeg

Edited by scubadoo97
Grammar (log)
  • Like 3

EA5492E8-B241-4C55-9F46-E05FDF8410E0.thumb.jpeg.f7ae7c902d2aa5f7484ae61d26b709d6.jpeg

A small curative.  Pickled herring on store-bought roggenbrot with just-made crispy shallots and ice-cold Taffel akvavit. I took a sip before I took the photograph so you do not see the meniscus domed over the glass as it should be. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

Diana Henry's Boozy Mushroom's on Toast

IMG_6444.thumb.jpg.be156853fb66bd8db2a948fc374c383c.jpg

I cooked up these mushrooms this AM so these are sort of leftovers from breakfast.   I followed @Anna N's lead and added a small lunchtime libation - a glass of the same Fino sherry that was used to finish the mushrooms. 

Edited to add my true confession - there may have been a refill(s) on that small glass xD...

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1