• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2017)

blue_dolphin

Same as breakfast.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Trio of salads, because they were there. 

20171113_124442-1.thumb.jpg.de9f723c68477139b1b8cc5f2b6800d8.jpg

Clockwise from top, Vivian Howard's pickled peanut salad with my tweaks (carrots and onions vs celery and bell pepper); jail slaw;  "Mr. Wasano's Indonesian Rice Salad" from Moosewood cookbook. All acid-based dressings so they keep well in the fridge.  

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2141AEEA-D126-43CC-8904-5E3BF65AF10F.thumb.jpeg.c0b3ed08b951a39fdd7bc73783f99272.jpeg

Presidents Choice thin and crispy pizza with mushrooms garlic and cheese. Once in a very blue moon I buy a frozen pizza. Tonight must be a very blue Moon night. As long as you did not fall for the idea that  this was actually pizza it made a fine bite. But why is Canada importing pizza from Germany?   The mind boggles. 

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Lunch was the liver from a duck I broke down this afternoon.   Fine dice shallot and thyme sauteed in duck fat before the liver went in and then finished with Armagnac

The duck will provide a few meals.  The breasts will be cooked tomorrow, the legs and wings are being salted and  will do a confit prep in a day or two.  The carcass made stock and the skin was rendered for fat and made cracklings 

• Like 3

Just now, scubadoo97 said:

Lunch was the liver from a duck I broke down this afternoon.   Fine dice shallot and thyme sauteed in duck fat before the liver went in and then finished with Armagnac

The duck will provide a few meals.  The breasts will be cooked tomorrow, the legs and wings are being salted and  will do a confit prep in a day or two.  The carcass made stock and the skin was rendered for fat and made cracklings 

One of my favorite cook’s treats. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Still torn if I want to eat the confit  as is or make a rillette out of it which is what I had initially  thought of doing 

Hmmm. Unless you bought a utility grade duck that is missing one leg you could do both.xD

I think I’m going to add some chicken legs to my next grocery order because they make a flipping marvelous confit also. 

My 2004 eG Blog

Chicken is what I usually use for the confit dish.   

Lunch today was a bowl of chickpeas, salt, cumin and olive oil.  Kinda like a deconstructed hummus without garlic and tahini.  Working today and garlic breath is not a good thing when you’re inches away from a patients face 

6C626B45-15C7-4C32-931D-CAC43FC9AF89.thumb.jpeg.6e80a1d56b91241b1346d1dac7802b80.jpeg

Cannot remember the last time I ate in the food court and this could be the reason. For my last appointment of this week I found myself in the mall in Burlington and my daughter suggested we grab lunch in the food court. Possibly the very worst bowl of Ramen I have ever had in my life even counting the ones I have made myself. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Went to a new dim sum place I've been wanting to try. Big bowl of ramen with shrimp dumplings, split a sampler plate with dumplings and steamed buns with a dining companion. Tea, frequently refilled. Lunch was about $10, left not quite half the dumplings on the plate, half the ramen in the bowl. Still full. Will go back.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

Stuck at home while we get a new oil tank for our furnace.  Trying out a sage sausage stuffing.   Roasted a few chicken breasts and pulled some cranberry balsamic compote to go with everything.  Oh, yeah and some green beans. 

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Just back from a funeral service. I knew Regis well enough to say hello. He was the husband of Barbara, a secretary for the department head that I worked for some twenty years ago at The General Dynamics, Electric Boat Shipyard, where Regis was a drafting supervisor. Somehow,  she and I established a friendship talking about such lofty subjects as how to make the best Caesar salad, crouton making techniques, where to get the best bouillabaisse and on and on. In later years I worked for their daughter in law at a different company and made friends with thier son on the golf course. I had not seen her in over twenty years, but as I entered the church and approached her to reintroduce myself, she grabbed both my hands and said "We used to talk about food!"

On my way home, I was torn between taking my first taste of the Akvavit currently in my freezer, with some smoked salmon, or opening a fresh craft beer growler. I spotted freshly ground lamb as I was rounding out the dinner menu, and the rest was history. My first lamburger in several years with sautéed onion, sliced marinated mushrooms, tomato and lettuce.

HC

IMG_1249.thumb.JPG.0ccb19895f818f5f237e4253466cb1b0.JPGIMG_1248.thumb.JPG.8b51b436ef36d531636be313eaad81ff.JPGIMG_1247.thumb.JPG.21254a765176ccaf47c631c013738972.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 3

I made the major mistake of going to the grocery when I was hungry. I have enough cheese, charcuterie and otherwise to host a couple of decent parties, now. Lunch was about half of an Aldi panino, with crackers and pickles.

• Delicious 1
  • Haha 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

2FEAB433-9147-4559-A0A7-44EC2274DAD9.thumb.jpeg.9e8b3e1ab0b8ea821639b88d8fca3b48.jpeg

I was hoping for a pickled herring sandwich for lunch but I mostly got a pickled onion sandwich with very little herring.  Oh well, the ice cold schnapps will go down equally well. And that, to be truthful, is what I really wanted. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N

is that akvavit ?

if so apparently 

""  Most commonly the aquavit is consumed immediately following a song, called a snaps visa.  ""

I remember that part well from the Old Copenhagen Room  on Bloor St.

from Wiki.

And in the good old days it would’ve been washed down with beer!   These days I have quite enough trouble with my balance, thank you.:)

My 2004 eG Blog

@scubadoo97 

are those boquerones ?

I lived in Spain for two years

a very long time ago ..    I was 10 

I grew exceptionally fond of boquerones

they came as a side to a Can(i)a  in spanish bars

bright places where people met for an espresso or other things

I used to get them all the time

along w a fried calamari ' bocadillo '

its only in the past say 10 + years that they are imported here

at about 20 +++ USD / lbs  

worth it Id say.

7 minutes ago, shain said:

Toasted pasta, in walnut cream (toasted walnuts + milk + nutmeg + blender), with peppered ricotta, lemon thyme, drizzle of honey, Parmesan, toasted walnuts.

IMG_20171110_134028_1.thumb.jpg.492b800678ec861a873aeb181fe0482a.jpg

Intriguing. Not a dish that would have occurred to me, but certainly one I'd like to try.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

23 minutes ago, kayb said:

Intriguing. Not a dish that would have occurred to me, but certainly one I'd like to try.

It took me a few iterations to make it work. The recipe I started from was mostly just pasta in ricotta, with chopped walnuts and pepper. I also once tried blending nuts with the ricotta but eventually concluded that the ricotta flavor and creamy texture both gets lost when used as a sauce, while the walnuts gets lost if mixed with the ricotta, so I ended up sort of switching their roles.

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 1

~ Shai N.

On 11/17/2017 at 4:29 PM, kayb said:

I made the major mistake of going to the grocery when I was hungry. I have enough cheese, charcuterie and otherwise to host a couple of decent parties, now. Lunch was about half of an Aldi panino, with crackers and pickles.

So, @kayb, how were those parties? :D

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2