• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2017)

blue_dolphin

This is what I had at lunch time, so I guess it counts.  Mr. Kim surprised me with a visit to a new patisserie in town – Mon chou:

DSCN7616.JPG.bce89be065ad2b9e02573c8eaf84e4e2.JPG

Raspberry meringue tart bar and two macaron – key lime and coffee.  Amazingly good and gorgeous.  I’m thrilled to see something like this open in Richmond!

• Like 6

Turkey neck. This morning I made  some stock for use in Thanksgiving gravy. Turkey neck is one of those things that I eat alone, partly because I'm sure that  a person gnawing on neck bones isn't a lovely sight, and partly because I eat more than my fair share.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

Puttanesca, round 2

IMG_6330.thumb.jpg.4c49121a0f4fa6c64ececd37eb4ddf7a.jpg

I sautéed some zucchini and red bell peppers and added them to some of the leftover puttanesca sauce from yesterday with penne instead of linguine. 

I'm sure it's not traditional with this sauce but I like having the extra vegetables.  I wanted eggplant, too but all the eggplants at the store were HUGE and I didn't have anything in mind for the rest. 

• Like 4

Lazy lunch today. Jamaican patty and some pickled mushrooms.

962F53A6-BDC2-4363-9251-AD15D7B11528.jpeg

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Just had a nice grouper sandwich from a roadside fish market.   It was gooood!

I believe grouper may be my favorite fish.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 hours ago, kayb said:

I believe grouper may be my favorite fish.

It's the Tampa Bay areas most popular fish 

Stopped at that market on the way home today and picked up 2 lbs of red snapper fillets.  It made a darn good sandwich  at home tonight.  Plenty left on ice for tomorrow 

• Like 1

I love Grouper. 

I have fond memories of going to the Bahamas in my youth, and hitting up a little shack and the lady made the most unreal 'grouper fingers' (just big pieces of fried grouper) and conch salad & coleslaw.   Mmmmm.

It's unreal how (least for me) food can create such a vivid memory - I still remember nearly every meal I had in travels 20 years ago!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

It's the Tampa Bay areas most popular fish 

Stopped at that market on the way home today and picked up 2 lbs of red snapper fillets.  It made a darn good sandwich  at home tonight.  Plenty left on ice for tomorrow 

I envy you, I ate grouper once in Egypt, unfortunately to my best knowledge it is not available in Warsaw, however being inspired by @scubadoo97 maybe I will try with pike or zander:)

Edited by Kasia (log)
  • Like 2

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

www.home-madepatchwork.com

follow me on Facebook and Instagram

94D94D7A-E74C-4001-B3BC-23656C9BA8A1.thumb.jpeg.2323167dcf583dcbef43ced0547bd8ca.jpeg

Danish blue, sharp cheddar, radishes and the star of the show — homemade country style bread from Modernist Bread.

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

That time of year when St Antony’s has their Hafli dinners. So so good. Going there is like having a little Lebanese grandma and what she would fix me. Chicken marinated in thyme, lemon, garlic and grilled. Rice pilaf with almods and a touch of cinnamon. Tabbouleh, hummus, cabbage roll and my favorite the Greba cookie, basically flour, sugar and butter with maybe a touch of cinnamon. The ladies of this Antiochian Orthodox Christian knocked it put of the park this year. I forgot to mention the baklava ice cream sundaes.CA08E6E7-F304-49AC-BDFC-3CB61DE99A61.thumb.jpeg.67ad789a75fb76a03d8be55d98b8c4bd.jpeg

Edited by joiei (log)
  • Like 10

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Nice. My hometown of Halifax is rich in Lebanese food, thanks to the 70s diaspora, and I always try to grab some when I'm there. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Prompted by a bit of cheese biscuit chatter that went on after @HungryChris post in the Dinner thread that included some Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits.

Lacking the official brand-name ingredients, I made Stella Park's Buttermilk Drop Biscuits With Garlic and Cheddar and had some for lunch, along with Kenji's 15-minute Pantry Tomato Soup from The Food Lab

IMG_6347.thumb.jpg.187f2b0539ce4bb3d9444527e4b4b77b.jpg

A good lunch for a cloudy Sunday.

• Like 13

Pork chop with roasted carrots and sweet potatoes.  My pork chop was marinated in fish sauce and brown sugar.  DH does not like fish sauce, he got soy sauce and lau gan ma marinade.

IMG_0194.thumb.JPG.1d59ff935069e77bce9406162f51e5e7.JPG

• Like 7