• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2017)

blue_dolphin

C224BEE0-AAB2-4EEB-8294-11E206872B15.thumb.jpeg.1766b7ddd4327d5776e78bab2cc7eccf.jpeg

Roasted cauliflower with shichimi togarishi. 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

cleaning out the fridge in anticipation of making vegetable and chicken stock on Sunday...........and, OK avoiding raking leaves.

1/2 big can of crushed tomatoes, 1/2 jar of marinara, 1/2 of a minced white onion, minced red Italian cubanelle, some "Italian toothpaste"  - tomato paste and about 1/4 cup of mixed Italian herbs and a dozen meatballs that I poached in the sauce.

Ate two meatballs and some sauce over some linguine.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Grim weekend, a first taste of nasty autumn weather that lasts for months. The lunches satisfy my inner Austrian.

Dumplings with scrambled egg whites. The dumplings have kabocha squash puree in them which make them yellow. Egg whites give the dumplings some contrast.

SxXUiRK.jpg

ItSHt8I.jpg

"Squeeze cheese" dumplings in a savoury broth. Not as nice as NinaGluck's, I'm quite certain.

tWqPqSq.jpg

SyuJCfO.jpg

Same as above but with the additions of pumpkin puree and Speck. In Styria Speck is used in the dumplings. I made it seasonal by adding pumpkin puree. That's the Speck in my dumplings.

cvQp4Xf.jpg

I enjoyed both but with Speck and pumpkin puree it's even better.

p19UMxF.jpg

The nicer the cheese the nicer the dumplings.

GillOKy.jpg

• Like 9

It is not lunch and it is not dinner but the in between when you have Turkish coffee (which in fact was brought to Istanbul by a Syrian couple and the Turks called it Turkish coffee which is not). Nevermind the historics. What is on the plate? Open for guessing and winner takes a Smiley......

OT0uuSk.jpg

3 hours ago, Nicolai said:

It is not lunch and it is not dinner but the in between when you have Turkish coffee (which in fact was brought to Istanbul by a Syrian couple and the Turks called it Turkish coffee which is not). Nevermind the historics. What is on the plate? Open for guessing and winner takes a Smiley......

OT0uuSk.jpg

Wow. This will sound stupid, but - does it grow like that? Or is it formed/put together? It looks beautiful and delicious. (But I can't even begin to guess what it is.)

D859FE95-9ED6-4BE9-8BD9-9DACD43099CA.thumb.jpeg.029b9f30923b1f4fffd83b47c6fd7cfa.jpeg

Pan grilled radicchio with a creamy “Caesar” dressing. 

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, cakewalk said:

Wow. This will sound stupid, but - does it grow like that? Or is it formed/put together? It looks beautiful and delicious. (But I can't even begin to guess what it is.)

10 hours ago, IowaDee said:

How about a "pluolive"  That's a cross between a plum and an olivexD

It is a Green Walnut Preserve.

They start green and turn black with the cooking method which is rather arduous. (They darken as they are to be left in the water for around 10 days).

The taste is rather unique and the bite is a tad firm on first bite and softens after the first perimeter. It is sweet with traces of nutty taste and considered a delicacy, albeit an expensive one. It was usually served with an afternoon coffee at celebrated afternoons. It beats the hell out of Strawberry jam with clotted cream and scones for an English afternoon tea.

As the Walnut are drowned in their syrup. Lot of the liquor is left over. This is a special Xmas treat when making chocolate Xmas cookies as the syrup is used for sweetener and the taste is heavenly. On time for Xmas.

Next is Xmas Cookieeeeeeeeeees.

• Like 4

@HungryChris  

mortadella !

the Siren that sings my song !

I have a few Fz turkey breast in the freezer

798 cents /lbs !

now with the iPot  Ill be making stock etc

but Im going to make a few TB's  filleted w mortadella in the center

SV of course !

thanks for reminding me

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

chicken drum sticks confit

Wow!   They look amazing. I must do it again soon!

My 2004 eG Blog

8 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Thanks, they were sooo juicy.  I did not fry them to make the skin crispy.  Eaten at room temp.  The litre of chicken fat is in the freezer for next time.

Ah.  You are doing them the old-fashioned way I assume from the amount of fatI assume from the amount of fat. I did mine sous vide.  Not a judgment by any means just a clarification.  

My 2004 eG Blog

Mrs. Grumpy face here.

I've been craving German food - maultaschen, sauerbraten, spaetzle, red cabbage......

Went out to lunch at a local German place and it was sooooooooo below what I was expecting. There seemed to be no taste in anything.  Undersalted and the red cabbage tasted like it hadn't seen a lick of vinegar.

Looks like if it ever gets cool here I'm going to have to make it myself.

• Sad 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

3 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

How did you do yours sv?  My brother was asking me last night how to do some chicken thighs he has.

Check out this thread.  Click.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

153DE22D-E4D1-46A0-B494-D6B1ADA23421.thumb.jpeg.4f7eb789349750bbb328a32bf37f8227.jpeg

The devil made me do it. Roasted green beans with a garlic and mint dressing and a border of mortadella ribbons. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

C16109C1-D1F3-4414-9D4F-9A123108D43F.thumb.jpeg.31ab4518a8af3d218245e00a2ce33c0a.jpeg

Life is good. Pickled herring, crispy shallots, George Jensen cutlery and Taffel   Akvavit.  I’ll be napping for a few hours. 

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

It's Sunday.......on the Bay before going to the Beach  :B

While waiting endlessly for the missus while having my Shesha at a new Lebanese restaurant overlooking the Bay. The Chef thought to cheer me up with one of his daily dishes.

Kofta bel Saniyeh. This translates to Minced Meat on a Plate.

This is a Lebanese old style dish presented in a new swanky serving. The meat is Lamb Mince Kofta with Onions and Parsley + spices. It is usually laid flat in the round baking tray and topped with sliced Potatoes and Tomatoes. The sauce is Tomato based with Olive Oil - Garlic - Spices. Baked in the oven and depending on whomever doing the cooking, you either stop cooking when all is soaked and ready or when the tomatoes dry out and the potatoes get singed. I like it either way. You eat it with chunks of Lebanese flat bread.

Here. the Chef went further one and made individual patties sitting on top of the Potato, a slice of Onion and topped with half a Tomato with the sauce providing the blessing. He served it with Vermicelli Rice. The serving is three patties but I could not wait and ate one before taking a pic.

Sheer Sunday Heaven.......and then the Missus showed up!!!!

T6YbC6i.jpg

Edited by Nicolai (log)
  • Like 9