• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2017)

blue_dolphin

3 hours ago, Duvel said:

Please try dry-curing it for a day or two with pink salt. Gives it a gammon-ny touch and improves the "flat" flavour of non-heritage pork by a mile ...

Thank you very much for the suggestion. But here’s the thing. I’m not huge fan of ham.  My usual way to deal with pork tenderloin is to slice it into coins, flatten them, season them well and fry them along with some apples and some onions.  Lots of chance there to develop some flavour!  I am thinking that sous vide pork tenderloin is just not my thing.  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, Captain said:

Home made sausage rolls with tomato paste & basil.

IMG_20171023_071925.thumb.jpg.0891e20dc126ed4a7f7cb60803304d35.jpg

OH these look good.  Can you tell me more about how you make them?  What kind of dough?  The tomato paste and basil is spread on the dough before rolling up?

• Like 2

427781A4-B4C9-464B-A0E0-F3B09FABF689.thumb.jpeg.24af4950b924ce11cbd0696ec5fc43b0.jpeg

From David Tanis’ new book Market Cooking — seared cauliflower with anchovy, lemon, and capers. 

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

38 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

Beautiful photo!

Many thanks.

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Captain, interesting you use beef sausage.

I was also taken aback by the use of beef sausage but to each their own. I find beef sausage to be on the dry side.  If one is prepared to use commercial pastry,  sausage rolls are one of the fastest and easiest ways to serve something “en croute”. :D

This is my fallback recipe. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

15 hours ago, Anna N said:

427781A4-B4C9-464B-A0E0-F3B09FABF689.thumb.jpeg.24af4950b924ce11cbd0696ec5fc43b0.jpeg

From David Tanis’ new book Market Cooking — seared cauliflower with anchovy, lemon, and capers. 

Looks great, nice color ! Are those cauliflower "steaks" coated / dusted with something or just plain fried (in butter ?)?

5 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Looks great, nice color ! Are those cauliflower "steaks" coated / dusted with something or just plain fried (in butter ?)?

Thank you. No they were seasoned with salt and pepper but that is all and they were cooked in olive oil as per the recipe. I used an enameled cast iron griddle pan. 

• Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

With melted pure chocolate.

E0EvtIH.jpg

dlr2OPN.jpg

2 kinds of pumpkin spreads.

uNfvkD1.jpg

I have not another wish for the entire week. All is included in this one picture. (Would not want to even consider moving to another place or country without access to French cheese!)

The cheesemonger was happy to see me again...

QHhYbw4.jpg

A new one to me, from the Jura. Very rich and creamy.

4HmKYUU.jpg

Kaltbach Le Gruyère is epic and I get it whenever the cheesemonger has it. Almost nothing can touch Kaltbach. (Photo below is from last summer)

v5hoMfo.jpg

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Anna N said:

I was also taken aback by the use of beef sausage but to each their own. I find beef sausage to be on the dry side.  If one is prepared to use commercial pastry,  sausage rolls are one of the fastest and easiest ways to serve something “en croute”. :D

This is my fallback recipe. 

Thanks for the recipe link.  I usually have puff pastry in the freezer and I like the addition of onions and parsley to the sausage meat.

• Like 1

2ED76232-B975-4776-B582-06EE2C2F12DD.thumb.jpeg.090874cac2cb01cf78fb3528a12e3dc7.jpeg

Back in the day Melissa Clark’s recipe for roasted broccoli and shrimp seemed to be on everybody’s radar.  Long before we  were talking about sheet pan suppers, this one-dish fast and easy meal won many fans.  But when I went on a hunt for it today I discovered not everybody loved it Click.  

Still I was prepared to give it a chance. There’s no doubt it was very easy and with very little clean up but I, too, found it less than earth shattering. Perhaps it was just overhyped. I will still keep it in my back pocket. 

In the background you can spot a broccoli stem salad.  Nothing but peeled broccoli stems sliced and tossed with lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.  

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

11 hours ago, Anna N said:

2ED76232-B975-4776-B582-06EE2C2F12DD.thumb.jpeg.090874cac2cb01cf78fb3528a12e3dc7.jpeg

Back in the day Melissa Clark’s recipe for roasted broccoli and shrimp seemed to be on everybody’s radar.  Long before we  were talking about sheet pan suppers, this one-dish fast and easy meal won many fans.  But when I went on a hunt for it today I discovered not everybody loved it Click.  

Still I was prepared to give it a chance. There’s no doubt it was very easy and with very little clean up but I, too, found it less than earth shattering. Perhaps it was just overhyped. I will still keep it in my back pocket. 

In the background you can spot a broccoli stem salad.  Nothing but peeled broccoli stems sliced and tossed with lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.  

I should send you my broccoli stems, @Anna N!  I trim mine so close that my florets are the size of marbles!  xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9DEE6978-C9B8-4CFF-BD61-0FEAB1C24EC7.thumb.jpeg.7ab4be2cfbd69d4e411b35982dea482d.jpeg

This small squash which I believe is a sweet dumpling variety was a gift. I roasted it with some butter and some maple syrup.   

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog