• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2017)

blue_dolphin

5 hours ago, kayb said:

The "Chicken Dance" song is running through my head....

Da da da da da da DAH Da da da da da da DAHDa da da da da da DAH da da da da....

(repeat as needed)

For ignoramuses like me, here's a link to what Wiki has to say about the chicken dance, and there are lot's of links on YouTube, if you want to hear it performed. Who knew? Certainly not me.

Nice grilled cheese and your chicken plates are beautiful @robirdstx.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

> ^ . . ^ <

Fusilli & Roasted Cauliflower with Capers from Melissa Clark's Dinner p 190.

IMG_5978.thumb.jpg.36981894dd22de6b8fad98def88bf29f.jpg
This recipe adds a spoonful of butter, along with garlic, lemon zest and juice and zest, toasted pine nuts and grated cheese.  The butter contrasts nicely with the sharpness of the lemon and capers - half of which get roasted along with the cauliflower. 

Nice variation on something I usually make without a recipe.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 10

IMG_1251.thumb.JPG.eec066796a70f98905d7ae47dd5958f0.JPG

Certainly not visually exciting but it did the trick. From the freezer, leftover eggrolls and chicken wings. 

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I pulled a couple of bags from the freezer - one of bones, skin and off-cuts remaining after filleting a piece of cod a couple of weeks ago; the other containing some cod flesh.

Made stock with the bones etc, drined that through cheesecloth then added the cod pieces, some shallot, chili flakes, baby bok choy (小白菜 xiǎo bái cài) and noodles. Fishy noodle soup.

noodles1.thumb.jpg.b58d01676890d6552bc41b490f176d71.jpg

• Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

IMG_1318.thumb.JPG.671a3df9ae62429a61b76a826452e2cf.JPG

Cheese, soppressata and a tomato on flatbread. Heated just long enough to melt the cheese and crisp up the flatbread. 

• Like 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

a sandwich :

59a5992eddf21_RBRB40.thumb.jpg.4b8534dbca80a08b9300684be0d9d3df.jpg

this is the meat sliced thin.  note the grain is not in the best direction , but that's the way I started cutting

the SV KC Sirloin w the RB40 treatment

SV KC59a5997777ca2_RBSRB40.thumb.jpg.c92b70e403419c2ae73c9b640d7b8c33.jpg the

I did use my new Watanabe's 

suprise.gif.1f62ed9450ef12aa9b93688c355a1bb7.gif

plain but very fresh TJ's sourdough , which comes from NH bakery Pigs that Fly.

accept no other from TJ's   there is a SF sourdough , but it has no acceptable crumb.

fresh jar of TJ's horseradish , Mayo  -- not to much , but just enough

the bread was very lightly toasted in the CSB   just for some crunch.

delicoius.   even though this cut was not the Optimal w great Beef Flavor   the RB40 helped out.

it was minimally adorned on purpose   I was looking for Big Beef

and I didn't have any suitable farmers market Bibb nor any tomatoes that would do the Beef Justice.

I do know that a  Perfectly cooked thick steak  ( as you like it , hopefully Tender and Rare ) w

a crusty baked Idaho or two and sautéed mushrooms and something PC Green on the plate is

Heaven.

not inhaling that Steak or cooking 2 / body 

results in a 

SV KC Sirloin w the RB40 treatment

for that Tomorrow Sandwich

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 11

Seasonal Tempura set in a small family-run place in Roppongi, Tokyo: Shrimp, eggplant, pumpkin, shiso leaf, some white fishes, squid, peppers and as the highlight a glorious entire see eel fillet (anago) ... all made in front of you by the master. Orange segments as the perfect dessert.

WP_20170829_12_14_19_Pro.jpg

WP_20170829_12_14_28_Pro.jpg

WP_20170829_12_14_32_Pro.jpg

WP_20170829_12_33_27_Pro.jpg

WP_20170829_12_47_29_Pro.jpg

• Like 12

IMG_1392.thumb.JPG.9de5d15d612987147c9bbdbc24abb332.JPG

Red cabbage sautéed with some onion and some bacon ends and dressed with a little sherry vinegar. 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

Leftovers from the other night's dinner, served on pasta.  

IMG_6004.thumb.jpg.82e2feda7f30647eecaf529553af9a00.jpg

Grilled zucchini, tossed with pesto and served over spaghetti dressed with stewed tomatoes and a sprinkle of Parmesan.   All from Deep Run Roots, where the squash was served on a pool of stewed tomatoes - no spaghetti involved in the original.

• Like 7

Not technically my lunch, nor today's fare (I hope this is allowed, I am still feeling out some of the subtler nuances of these boards - I did make it!) but a fathers day share lunch sent to work with my other half. Caramel Slice / Millionaires shortbread lurking in the back and leftover roast chicken an vegetables cunningly disguised in pastry and presented as a whole new meal. 

pieslice.jpg

• Like 10

4 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Not technically my lunch, nor today's fare (I hope this is allowed, I am still feeling out some of the subtler nuances of these boards - I did make it!) but a fathers day share lunch sent to work with my other half. Caramel Slice / Millionaires shortbread lurking in the back and leftover roast chicken an vegetables cunningly disguised in pastry and presented as a whole new meal. 

I think you underestimate your skills, those little pies look amazing.

• Like 2