• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2017)

blue_dolphin

IMG_1012.thumb.JPG.20253db39f7755261c0238bae82272e1.JPG

finally! My daughter brought over a few tomatoes from her garden and I enjoyed my first BLT of the summer.   

• Like 16

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

13 minutes ago, Anna N said:

IMG_1012.thumb.JPG.20253db39f7755261c0238bae82272e1.JPG

finally! My daughter brought over a few tomatoes from her garden and I enjoyed my first BLT of the summer.   

Heaven on a plate.

except for the tomato is still wearing it's skin.

:P

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

except for the tomato is still wearing it's skin.

May I point out that Thomas Keller is tall and skinny. I am short and fat.  Apart from that we only have some minor differences including fussing over tomato skins.  He does. I don't. xDxDxD

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

This morning, after visiting the Clear Lake Shores Farmers Market, we drove over to the Bay Area Meat Market & Deli and Dave's Smokehouse in Seabrook. We had a very early lunch at Dave's and then made our purchases at the meat market's counter - a 1 lb. Beef Ribeye, 1/2 lb. thick cut Hickory Smoked Bacon and a link of Jalapeño & Cheddar Sausage. Most of which will be making their appearance in the Breakfast and Dinner topics!

IMG_0665.thumb.JPG.6dedcc7b5a377de18a23760279e15057.JPG

Views from our table. If you go through the doorway in the second photo you enter the meat market.

IMG_0666.thumb.JPG.78e420a1b23e680c32697d524bc9f3f0.JPG

My husband had the Chicken Fried Chicken Plate, which came with two sides (he chose mashed potatoes and green beans), Gravy and Texas Toast. He said it was all good!

IMG_0669.thumb.JPG.b648c7d9d9fcd6be1bf0f24aa8ce2446.JPG

And I had the Pork Tenderloin sandwich - toasted bun, lettuce, tomato, onion and mayo. Very good as well!

IMG_0668.thumb.JPG.21b9b2a7f71dd189ec6c96392b2a44c4.JPG

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 10

IMG_1047.thumb.JPG.3943ac94b28393b204e85875ed3fbceb.JPG

Looks very much like breakfast did today. Tomatoes, onions, green beans and feta cheese with a warm pita. 

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_1096.thumb.JPG.4a8ae41ecc65771e32bbb7cda9268385.JPG

Cheesy polenta with sautéed spinach and tomatoes. 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

20 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

Does whiskey and a cigar count?   Trying a acquisition.  

It certainly counts but for what I'm not quite sure!  

• Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_1143.thumb.JPG.60f84a33cd15466cbef4074c65e57f4b.JPG

Lunch? Breakfast?  First nutrition break?   The last of the duck breast I cooked the other day on five grain fruit bread and given a few drops of Trader Joe's balsamic glaze. 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

Deb accompanied me on my bimonthly trip to the craft brewery for growler refills on Sunday. During the drive, the question of dinner came up. I told her I was planning on stuffed zucchini....... the lack or response / enthusiasm, pretty much told me I would not only be wasting the squash, but my efforts as well, so dinner was pork piccata. The last time I had poached eggs on fried zucchini planks, I thought they would have benefited from being sliced a little thinner, so lunch / afternoon snack became a small experiment. The smaller, more tender ones are good when sliced about as thick as the cardboard in your typical corrugated cardboard box, but the big boys, I find, need to be about the thickness of a quarter.

HC

IMG_0460.thumb.JPG.7e0da4cd63ea716a4a68fe90d1baa4fb.JPGIMG_0461.thumb.JPG.4c5b16359bce4a2870d661227e7c5fc7.JPGIMG_0463.thumb.JPG.5a9dcaef2245b5e9229cf04efa7b712e.JPG

• Like 6

various things from Whole Foods salad bar,  and they still have heirloom tomatoes so I got another Purple Cherokee while I could, at $3.99/lb that one tomato cost me $2.47. Worth it, I had a crusty seeded roll, some spreadable goat cheese, and slabs of that tomato, open faced. I eat after everyone is gone from the office kitchen so they won't see me licking the tomato juice off my fingers.

• Like 7

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Lunch Turkish style. No booze  :ph34r:

1- Sarma: Marinated minced lamb, seasoned with garlic and grilled over chargrill, wrapped in a Lavash bread with cheese and topped with tomato sauce, then drizzled with butter

5U2MElm.jpg

2- Lamb Meat Pyramid. From the top: Mince Lamb skewers - Mince Lamb cubes - Lamb Ribs (you can see a bone sticking out left of the pic) - Chicken cube skewers and all layed on a bed of Sliced Lamb Shawarma. All on open charcoal fire and Cholesterol free (Not).

RuD0LKc.jpg

We went back home to find our Austrian friend made an Austrian Cheesecake with Apricot.

To make up for lunch, we had chasers shots of Smirnoff Peach Vodka.

Words cannot describe the lightness of the Cheesecake with the tanginess of the Apricot.

I will never eat a Cheese cake again at the Cheesecake Factory.....EVER.

Austrian home made desserts or bust.

WxlZ7CA.jpg

• Like 13

On 8/21/2017 at 11:04 AM, blue_dolphin said:

Smashed White Bean Toasts with Roasted Asparagus and Sumac from Melissa Clark's Dinner

IMG_5945.thumb.jpg.a84d5f08c7ead98db4067864d9c38b7a.jpg

The beans are mashed with garlic, lemon juice & zest.  The sumac was a nice touch. 

Not a combination of which I would have thought. But it sounds intriguing.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Turkey with red leaf lettuce on a spinach wrap for John to eat as he tries to clean the boxes from the living room.

Getting a little peckish so heading out to use up the rest of the tomato and watermelon to make a salad.  Adding some candied walnuts, ricotta salata and a balsamic drizzle.

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

The "Chicken Dance" song is running through my head....

Da da da da da da DAH Da da da da da da DAHDa da da da da da DAH da da da da....

(repeat as needed)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com